Rumour Roughead to step down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Footy Classified run with the story on Monday that Roughy would be stepping down as captain at the end of this year and possibly retiring also?

One year extension was announced in Herald Sun earlier this season, but nothing from the Club.
I suspect that Hawthorn will leave all of this to Roughy, he formed up well last weekend, he'll decide, one of the toughest individuals ever to play Aussie rules, he will know? Whether to quit altogether , or take the skipper out of his hands for a while.
I happen to think Roughy likes being the captain.

The wild card for the job when Rough gives it up - is Sicily.
If ever there was a player for whom the possibilities of taking his game to a whole other level should he be given the honor, responsibility and inspiration of the title, then it is him. And I'm talking stratospheric levels.
With his makeup, to be told that the club and players have THAT kind of belief and desire to follow his lead, his already copious helpings of confidence would create Dermott like quality on the field wherever he strode.

Off the half back, being able to read and general the play, making the extra man run to create attack, slotting one from 60, rising like Gibbo of yore to punch free from a pack of 6.....

Actually think it would fast track his maturity levels and his presence and charisma would be electrifying.

Won't happen, but WOW if it did.

If the AFL reduces access to the field by runners, there will be greater pressure on the players to think and react to the flow of the game. There will be much more pressure on the captain and the leadership group and their job will be more complicated. I like it.

The wild card for the job when Rough gives it up - is Sicily.
If ever there was a player for whom the possibilities of taking his game to a whole other level should he be given the honor, responsibility and inspiration of the title, then it is him. And I'm talking stratospheric levels.
With his makeup, to be told that the club and players have THAT kind of belief and desire to follow his lead, his already copious helpings of confidence would create Dermott like quality on the field wherever he strode.

Off the half back, being able to read and general the play, making the extra man run to create attack, slotting one from 60, rising like Gibbo of yore to punch free from a pack of 6.....

Actually think it would fast track his maturity levels and his presence and charisma would be electrifying.

Won't happen, but WOW if it did.
Its unheard of for the captaincy to be handed to a loose cannon which is what Sicily is right now. The captaincy would only weigh him down and encourage him to play more conservatively which is not what we want.

Dermie was never captain either despite being our most important player at his peak, he was too volatile and not of the right temperament. These guys are wildcards and you want to give them as much freedom as possible to do their thing, not saddle them with extra responsibilities.

Its unheard of for the captaincy to be handed to a loose cannon which is what Sicily is right now. The captaincy would only weigh him down and encourage him to play more conservatively which is not what we want.

Dermie was never captain either despite being our most important player at his peak, he was too volatile and not of the right temperament. These guys are wildcards and you want to give them as much freedom as possible to do their thing, not saddle them with extra responsibilities.

Maybe.
But I'm not sure he's a loose cannon, the media and frantic BF posters who fretted over a couple incidents they worried would hurt the team have created far more myth than fact..... Robbie Muir was a loose cannon. Jakko was a loose cannon. Sicily is contrived in his actions I believe to create the warrior status he feels requisite on the field such that he doesn't get taken advantage of. Nothing more, and he'd much rather focus on winning the footy.

Think the game has changed so dramatically and that todays players grew up with coaching and expectations so very very different that they are all largely ball players who rarely come within a sniff of real disproportionate acts.
Sicily's one dirtyish mind fart for me was the stepping on incident, and to be honest even that was school boy level.
He's maturing with every game, and by the end of this year and start of next he'll have created a new cover to the book that reads far more leader and far less enigma.

Derm didn't captain because we had a ridiculous wealth of captain material. And he couldn't have been any more of an on-field captain regardless of who wore the arm band.

I see what you're saying, but disagree.

I think the burden of being captain is a bit much and it distracts from his kicking game.

Could it be the chemical treatment he received and the burden it put on to his nervous system that caused the distraction to his kicking game.

The role of captain could have encouraged the further developement of his already incredible mental strength. I believe might of even helped with the recovery of his kicking game.

With no feeling in his legs, he still kicked a game winning captains goal from 50.

Spot on
Also not great having the capt scruff his own team mates lol. Could see that happening on occasion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless we sign Lynch or McGovern, we're in a bit of strife in 2019 if Roughy retires.

Unless TOB develops very quickly.

Have been into lynch since last season. No guarantees but i would imagine the club and roughy will base the decision on this.
I reckon we could get a few more yrs out of him down back but if he body and mind is done i wish him all the best such a star.

Maybe.
But I'm not sure he's a loose cannon, the media and frantic BF posters who fretted over a couple incidents they worried would hurt the team have created far more myth than fact..... Robbie Muir was a loose cannon. Jakko was a loose cannon. Sicily is contrived in his actions I believe to create the warrior status he feels requisite on the field such that he doesn't get taken advantage of. Nothing more, and he'd much rather focus on winning the footy.

Think the game has changed so dramatically and that todays players grew up with coaching and expectations so very very different that they are all largely ball players who rarely come within a sniff of real disproportionate acts.
Sicily's one dirtyish mind fart for me was the stepping on incident, and to be honest even that was school boy level.
He's maturing with every game, and by the end of this year and start of next he'll have created a new cover to the book that reads far more leader and far less enigma.

Derm didn't captain because we had a ridiculous wealth of captain material. And he couldn't have been any more of an on-field captain regardless of who wore the arm band.

I see what you're saying, but disagree.
You have every right to disagree.

But you’re wrong.

Smith strikes me as the kind of "outside player" who is inappropriate to lead the team, because it is vital the kids see the captain doing all the hard stuff and never shirking contact.
Smith is every bit as hard as any other player in our team. There's different kinds of hardness that aren't just winning the ball on the inside. Smith runs hard, both ways, all day, and that takes extreme mental and physical endurance. Despite his lighter build he still goes in to win the ball and lay tackles when it's his turn. Smith is not a player who shirks contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back