Strategy Round 1, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy isn't worth a top 15 pick by a looooooooong way though. He's played what, 10 games? In 3 or 4 years? I like him, and he has plenty of upside, but trading 1st rounders is only done for proven commodities. Fitzy could still turn into nothing much yet. I hope he does well, and believe he should, but it is in no way certain that he will.
I'm aware picks aren't certain either, but in a trading sense #15 would get a lot more than Fitzy if the team at all knows what it's doing. I'd say at most he's worth an early 20's pick.

In terms of what he's worth to us though, I wouldn't let him go for less than a midfielder worth a top 20 pick. Sure that might not be his market value but we've put 4 years of development into him and he's just starting to show some serious promise, in a side with the worst midfield in the league. Has the potential to be an elite KPF and players with that potential don't grow on trees, even in the first round of the draft. If he was in this year's draft he'd be one of the best forward prospects, after Boyd, Billings and perhaps Hourigan, and with quite a few sides in the competition screaming out for a tall forward (see, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Freo) they'd be likely to pounce, I reckon. Would start as a forward for most sides in the comp and with a better midfield than ours serving him and another preseason under his belt with the added confidence of his performance this year, I don't think kicking 2-3 goals a game is beyond him.

Tough on Matt Jones. Didn't set the world on fire but was solid and dependable. Even if we pick up a few more experienced mids I still think he's in our best 22.

Good player, I think if we get our shit together enough this trade period he'll be boarderline best 22 - my dashes were all spots with no obvious holder I think.

In terms of what he's worth to us though, I wouldn't let him go for less than a midfielder worth a top 20 pick. Sure that might not be his market value but we've put 4 years of development into him and he's just starting to show some serious promise, in a side with the worst midfield in the league. Has the potential to be an elite KPF and players with that potential don't grow on trees, even in the first round of the draft. If he was in this year's draft he'd be one of the best forward prospects, after Boyd, Billings and perhaps Hourigan, and with quite a few sides in the competition screaming out for a tall forward (see, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Freo) they'd be likely to pounce, I reckon. Would start as a forward for most sides in the comp and with a better midfield than ours serving him and another preseason under his belt with the added confidence of his performance this year, I don't think kicking 2-3 goals a game is beyond him.

I agree he's worth more to us and could be anything. I'm just saying that to get a trade of him for a first rounder would be highly unlikely.

I agree he's worth more to us and could be anything. I'm just saying that to get a trade of him for a first rounder would be highly unlikely.

I do agree with you, but at the same time I don't haha. I do think clubs would trade high for him based on what he showed this year. If we give up our second round Sylvia compo for Lyons, I think a top 20 pick for Fitz is justified.

Good player, I think if we get our shit together enough this trade period he'll be boarderline best 22 - my dashes were all spots with no obvious holder I think.

Maybe, but for round 1 I'd have him on the wing and let a few of the younger guys tear it up in the VFL for a bit.

Terlich McDonald Garland
Grimes Frawley Trengove
Jones Viney Toumpas
Watts Dawes Howe
Clark Hogan ___
Jamar Michie Tyson

17 players that are good enough from round one. Gawn can duke it out with Jamar when they are both fit, Fitz will get a bunch of games as cover for our big forwards who are likely to not be all together every game. Our plethora of talented ball eluding flankers can all fight it out with byrnes for the small forward role. Watts and Howe are extra wingers basically making targets out of defense and overlapping with Toumpas and Jones who have the run and spread to cover a heap of ground, Grimey and Trengove won't be lost when they move up to the wings on the spread. I love that combo of 6 guys outside the corridor.

The three dedicated inside guys will grow together as a cohesive young stoppage unit, pick 9 will get to have a peripheral role whether inside or out while he develops which would be a nice change. M Jones, Evans and co can fight it out for bench spots rather than being expected to be difference makers. Dunn probably gets a bench gig as a utility who can go back when needed or tag a big not so quick mid. That's my vision anyway, I haven't been this optimistic in a long time.

assuming noone is injured and we trade vince in i think it will look something like this.

fb terlich frawley garland
hb grimes mcdonald dunn
c tyson n jones watts
hf howe clark vince
ff hogan dawes trengove
fol gawn viney mckenzie
int mitchie toumpas blease (m jones)

E clisby byrnes fitzpatrick

B: Dunn Frawley Terlich
HB: Grimes McDonald Garland
C: Trengove Tyson Watts
HF: Vince Dawes Howe
F: Blease Clark Hogan
R: Gawn N Jones Viney

Int: Fitzpatrick McKenzie Toumpas Michie
Emg: Tapscott Pick #9 M Jones
Fringe: Strauss Evans Kent Clisby Magner

Developing: Barry

Potentially Cross to come. Looks like a pretty good side to me.

Terlich McDonald Garland
Grimes Frawley Trengove
Jones Viney Toumpas
Watts Dawes Howe
Clark Hogan ___
Jamar Michie Tyson

17 players that are good enough from round one. Gawn can duke it out with Jamar when they are both fit, Fitz will get a bunch of games as cover for our big forwards who are likely to not be all together every game. Our plethora of talented ball eluding flankers can all fight it out with byrnes for the small forward role. Watts and Howe are extra wingers basically making targets out of defense and overlapping with Toumpas and Jones who have the run and spread to cover a heap of ground, Grimey and Trengove won't be lost when they move up to the wings on the spread. I love that combo of 6 guys outside the corridor.

The three dedicated inside guys will grow together as a cohesive young stoppage unit, pick 9 will get to have a peripheral role whether inside or out while he develops which would be a nice change. M Jones, Evans and co can fight it out for bench spots rather than being expected to be difference makers. Dunn probably gets a bench gig as a utility who can go back when needed or tag a big not so quick mid. That's my vision anyway, I haven't been this optimistic in a long time.
no love for bv?

We've improved the starting 22 a lot but the lack of pace in the side is a worry. Blease is the only speedster and he's got no tank, and as for the rest I wouldn't call any of them line-breaking. I'd imagine Byrnes will continue to get a run in the side until we find a few more players with decent wheels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've improved the starting 22 a lot but the lack of pace in the side is a worry. Blease is the only speedster and he's got no tank, and as for the rest I wouldn't call any of them line-breaking. I'd imagine Byrnes will continue to get a run in the side until we find a few more players with decent wheels.

Barry and Toumpas are a bit similar. Nathan Freeman is pretty inside as a player but he was one of the most athletic/quickest testers at the Combine, so we might draft him. Also, Jack Watts is being moved to the midfield and he's obviously very quick and an elite athlete.

Certainly we'll have substantially more strength in midfield next year, thank goodness - more experience also, with Vince and (possibly) Cross. The way we were getting outbodied in tackles and at stoppages was so horribly painful.

Certainly we'll have substantially more strength in midfield next year, thank goodness - hopefully more experience also, if we get Cross and/or Vince. The way we were getting outbodied in tackles and at stoppages was so horribly painful.

Our tackle count went up substantially after Craig came in, though.

The Geelong team up until Motlop/Christensen etc came in didn't have a lot of pace outside of Wojo, lack of pace can be covered up with good skills and we've brought in some very skillful players.

Toumpas and Viney are pretty quick, Trengove when fit actually does have some decent pace about him.

The Geelong team up until Motlop/Christensen etc came in didn't have a lot of pace outside of Wojo, lack of pace can be covered up with good skills and we've brought in some very skillful players.

Toumpas and Viney are pretty quick, Trengove when fit actually does have some decent pace about him.

Back in 2007/09 they had Stevie J, Ablett, Stokes, Byrnes, Varcoe (actually played games, wasn't injured), Wojcinski... and most of their 22 were at least good kicks. Bit of a stretch to compare our team to the best team of the last 10 years. Maybe it'll change for us under Roos, so we'll wait and see how he puts the pieces together.

Didn't think Toumpas was quick? Looks more the smooth moving loper type to me, but I didn't get to watch a lot of games this year. Viney has a bit of toe, but until Trengove gets fit and sorts out whatever issues he had, I'll have to see him burn players off before I believe it. The game is quicker now than it was 5 or 6 years ago, so we need the pace to get around the ground and spread better... part of the reason we struggle, it mustn't be too difficult marking up on our players.

Back in 2007/09 they had Stevie J, Ablett, Stokes, Byrnes, Varcoe (actually played games, wasn't injured), Wojcinski... and most of their 22 were at least good kicks. Bit of a stretch to compare our team to the best team of the last 10 years. Maybe it'll change for us under Roos, so we'll wait and see how he puts the pieces together.

Didn't think Toumpas was quick? Looks more the smooth moving loper type to me, but I didn't get to watch a lot of games this year. Viney has a bit of toe, but until Trengove gets fit and sorts out whatever issues he had, I'll have to see him burn players off before I believe it. The game is quicker now than it was 5 or 6 years ago, so we need the pace to get around the ground and spread better... part of the reason we struggle, it mustn't be too difficult marking up on our players.
That VFL day last year where Wojcinski was so pissed off he broke Viney's nose, can't remember how he did it though, but Viney soldiered on and took it like a man. Bloody hard nut he is.

Toumpas has a great tank in him, and such good pace too! When he fully gets over his reco's, has another pre-season or two, you'll see his full pace then. Toump will be a great player.

I wasn't comparing us to them, more like making a point that you can still be a quick team even without leg speed if you have skillful players and that's at least something we've brought in this off-season. Good kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back