Preview Round 1, 2016: Geelong v Hawthorn, Melbourne Cricket Ground, 28 March 2016, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlucas

Debutant
Aug 3, 2009
Geelong, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm,Victory,Oakland Raiders
Even though it's still way too early but here's my team that will run out against Geelong on Easter Monday!

FB: Stratton Frawley Gibson
HB: Burgoyne Spangher Birchall
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
FOLL: McEvoy Lewis Hodge
HF: Rioli Schoenmakers Gunston
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
I/C: Ceglar Duryea Shiels Hartung

Would love your opinions guys :)

Langford and Howe will be pushing into that I reckon. Recent years we seem to give a new player a go first up so might be Fitzpatrick or it might be a draftee (perhaps Collins?)

The unlucky ones/guys pushing for spots I see are W.Langford, O'Rourke, Howe, Litherland and Whitecross (if he can get his body right). Since the draft is on tonight I see us targeting a Key Position Defender (Collins), a Rebounding Defender (Hibberd), a Inside Midfielder (Mathieson) or hopefully a slider (Burton) with our first 2 picks :)

The unlucky ones/guys pushing for spots I see are W.Langford, O'Rourke, Howe, Litherland and Whitecross (if he can get his body right). Since the draft is on tonight I see us targeting a Key Position Defender (Collins), a Rebounding Defender (Hibberd), a Inside Midfielder (Mathieson) or hopefully a slider (Burton) with our first 2 picks :)
Well done. :thumbsu: You managed to correctly predict one of our first 2 picks!

Langford and Howe will be pushing into that I reckon. Recent years we seem to give a new player a go first up so might be Fitzpatrick or it might be a draftee (perhaps Collins?)

I like the Idea of guess who, but this comment is correct, could be anyone Clarko wants to have a look at that goes onto the park, with established Hawks , who will "just be there anyway" !

I like the Idea of guess who, but this comment is correct, could be anyone Clarko wants to have a look at that goes onto the park, with established Hawks , who will "just be there anyway" !
I like to think with a new season that all players are given an equal opportunity to put their hands up for a go in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of our recent draftees get a go if they impress over the pre-season. They all seem to have bodies that are ready for AFL and even though Burton is coming from a serious injury his level of talent perhaps keeps him in contention.

I like to think with a new season that all players are given an equal opportunity to put their hands up for a go in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of our recent draftees get a go if they impress over the pre-season. They all seem to have bodies that are ready for AFL and even though Burton is coming from a serious injury his level of talent perhaps keeps him in contention.
The way Wright talked it doesn't sound like we should expect much from Burton this year. He said Lovell and Hardwick had AFL ready bodies but Burton would take a little bit longer and he trusted the medical staff and Russell to get him there.

I think guys like Brand, Heatherly, Siciliy, Howe, JOR, Langers etc are all in contention for round one. Big preseasons coming up for quite a few boys

As much as I'd love to see Spangher out there, I can't help but feel that Clarko will want to start the transition to the younger boys in Brand and Heatherley.

After not picking Kieran Collins with our second pick, I'm pretty sure they two mentioned will start getting games, and they will get them early.
Yep. I agree one of those two might get a go.

Otherwise Langerd or Howe but not sure who would come out unless we want to give the granddaddy players rests but round 1 is a little early for a ...rest

I agree to an extent, but if Clarko is in building and re jigging mode for the future, or if he is in a "we may give four a shot" mode , then I'd say he'd be looking at setting up some premiership points for early in the season and perhaps let the newbies start out in Box Hill and as Clarko does , slip them in over the year.
We had it all last year but the premiership points we lost in some of those stupid loss s' ones we should not have lost , I think made Clarko and the coaches very very angry, we finally got there but only a club like ours could have done it with problems that we faced, in some insipid performances.

I think he'll be waiting and going for premiership points up and running early, I think strong sides not try out sides to start with.

I agree to an extent, but if Clarko is in building and re jigging mode for the future, or if he is in a "we may give four a shot" mode , then I'd say he'd be looking at setting up some premiership points for early in the season and perhaps let the newbies start out in Box Hill and as Clarko does , slip them in over the year.
We had it all last year but the premiership points we lost in some of those stupid loss s' ones we should not have lost , I think made Clarko and the coaches very very angry, we finally got there but only a club like ours could have done it with problems that we faced, in some insipid performances.

I think he'll be waiting and going for premiership points up and running early, I think strong sides not try out sides to start with.

Even though it's still way too early but here's my team that will run out against Geelong on Easter Monday!

I like it, good choice!

Very good point re- early stupid losses. It meant we couldn't rest on our laurels later on in the year and hardly any of our younger brigade got a look in for more than a game or two! We need to hit the ground running ala 2013 and keep winning until the bye! Because after the bye, the fixture other than a couple of games, gets brutal. No losses to a rejuvenated cats or Giants or wannabes like tigers!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Howe and Sicily could both play Round 1 next year. It's going to be tough to break into the line-up of course but out of all the players outside our best 22 right now I see those two players in particular as being the one's most likely to be in our starting team by the end of the season. I expect Howe and Sicily to feature prominently in 2016.

I think that there are several players not named who have a realistic shot at being in the round one side next year - in no particular order:

Langford, Howe, JOR, Kieran Lovell, Sicily. If we cop some injuries to our backline, I can see Litherland and perhaps Heatherly getting a gig if he impresses i n the practice matches

B: Gibbo - Frawley - Duryea
HB: Birch - Spangher - Hodge
C: Smith - Mitchell - Hill
HF: Burgoyne - Rough - Breust
F: Poppy - Gunners - Cyril
Fol: McEvoy - Lewis - Shiels
Int: Ceglar, Hartung, Schoenmakers and whoever puts their hand up (JOR, Langford, Swiss, Howe, Sicily, Litherland, Miles, Lovell, Hardwick)

Fairly decent depth, though we have dropped some serious experience this year. We really need Ceglar to stand up as well as JOR, Hartung, Swiss, Howe, Litherland.

brand and heatherly will only get games when the KPF aren't as strong or the games are more of a 70/30 for the hawks.

So they won't be playing against cats or eagles. can see one of them playing against the dogs and saints

Even with the three players leaving the team still looks great and our depth is great. Some players not mentioned in the 22 would get a game at most other clubs and you want to see them in the team as well, but it is also to hard to pick someone out of the best 22 for someone who isn't in the best 22. thats a good sign for our future

brand and heatherly will only get games when the KPF aren't as strong or the games are more of a 70/30 for the hawks.

So they won't be playing against cats or eagles. can see one of them playing against the dogs and saints

So Fitzpatrick has to play or Schoey goes back and TOB or Sicily go forward?

So Fitzpatrick has to play or Schoey goes back and TOB or Sicily go forward?

i don't know what you mean, relating to my comment.

Fitzpatrick plays when cegs or big boy are either injured or in poor form. Shoey must become 90% forward and only go back when desperately needed. TOB don't know if he gets a game this year. Sicily could come in for a gunston or shoey.

If brand or heatherly come in for a game they are a straight swap for spangher

Last edited:
Do we really need a Brand/Heatherly/Spangher type nailed onto the team sheet? I think Frawley and Gibson would cover most teams just fine. Option of throwing Schoenmakers back if things go **** up. I expect some kids thrown into the mix for development purposes but if we're talking best 22 I don't think Lake necessarily goes out of the team for another big guy.

Do we really need a Brand/Heatherly/Spangher type nailed onto the team sheet? I think Frawley and Gibson would cover most teams just fine. Option of throwing Schoenmakers back if things go **** up. I expect some kids thrown into the mix for development purposes but if we're talking best 22 I don't think Lake necessarily goes out of the team for another big guy.
Thing is we like to pay Gibbo as a third tall defender or even as the loose defender if possible, to help as third man up, and for good reason too. With Stratton playing his best footy against medium or small forwards, that would only leave Gibbo to be the second key defender behind Frawley. Hence why many are looking at Spangher, Brand or Heatherly to take over the second key defensive post to allow Gibbo to play his natural, and most effective, role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back