Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's not related to the Saints legend, but seriously; how great is it to see HAYES on the team sheet again?

Of course it didn't work out that well with WINMAR, so time for me to curb my enthusiasm, but let's hope the seventh Jack tears the roof off the sucka and makes the media explode. If it works out, they'll be trying to get Chris Tocé to replace Robbo on Footy 360.

Can't get my head around Kent and Wood over Sharman. And geez I hope Highmore has a niggle because keeping a guy with that much ability out is crook. Sharman has scope for growth. Kent and Wood are both plodders of the highest order.
Reeks of fancy moneyball selections. Don't like it one bit. Kent has shown time and time again he isn't good enough.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't get my head around Kent and Wood over Sharman. And geez I hope Highmore has a niggle because keeping a guy with that much ability out is crook. Sharman has scope for growth. Kent and Wood are both plodders of the highest order.
Reeks of fancy moneyball selections. Don't like it one bit. Kent has shown time and time again he isn't good enough.

Sharman is a weapon, a rare one at that. He would worry the opposition and takes some heat off King. Instead, we're going into battle missing that weapon. Well, the selection committee lives and dies by the sword.

Highmore I think got injured at Sandy a few weeks ago?

If you had watched the pre season games, it is pretty self explanatory why Mason Wood has been selected. Kent is a small/mid fwd rather than a tall forward so he isnt really contending for the same position as Sharman.

And Highmore received a corkie in the last VFL practice game he played leaving him on a managed program. Plus, who from our back 7 would you take out to accommodate him?

The pies do have some top shelf players. They are pretty good down the spine. Should be a close game. Both teams look uninspiring on paper though. Will watch how Battle goes with interest. If we can hold Degoey to a goal then should get the chocolates. The man of Steele will pick up his 35

If you had watched the pre season games, it is pretty self explanatory why Mason Wood has been selected. Kent is a small/mid fwd rather than a tall forward so he isnt really contending for the same position as Sharman.

And Highmore received a corkie in the last VFL practice game he played leaving him on a managed program. Plus, who from our back 7 would you take out to accommodate him?

Stop speaking truth.
We want emotional bullshit here.!!!!!
( still think Sharman wil be a gun )

Can we talk about our players please, especially if they are 191 cm mids with a bit of pace and can take a mark.

Mitch has been training with the mids all pre season, first intro in a full scale AFL practice against the Dons was as a starting mid. The club must think he's up for it.

Michito will probably grow another inch overnight.

I think I'll call him "Bamboo".

The boot-studder better be on his toes, pun intended

Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Adams usually waltz around us. I can't see that changing, hope I'm wrong.
Sidebottom and Pendlebery were superstars but one turning 31 the other 34 this year and average less disposals to Crouch did last year - I think it has changed.
They have had a good team on paper for years.

Fully expect we win this game.

The Pies have most of the best players playing and I would say we are missing Jones , Clark , Billings and Ryder from our best 22 - Sharman and Highmore are there about's as well.
However we still have the firepower to win this game.

Its interesting that the first two games of the round have very similar scorelines both winning teams scoring 14 goals and as many points whilst both the loosing sides scoring 11 goals ....I'm just wondering if we can emulate those stats of 14 odd goals to win against the PIES.

Do we have that delivery into the forward 50 .....we certainly have the forward line capable of it.....Our backline will stand solid and generate drive from the back half.....it all comes down to what kind of ball we get into the forwards....

DEES...27 scoring shots to Dogs 16. BLUES 31 scoring shots to TIGES 21. I think we can...probably be a totally different scoring game...i just found it interesting..

I'd have to say both BLUES and DEES have pretty cool mids...as to how good CARLTONS are remains to be seen....Then of course how good are ours?...a little light to be shed...even if its not our best crew in the engine room we will get a little better understanding...with GRESH, OWENS, STEELE BYRNES and CROUCH ...if they perform the potency will be further honed with JONES and others to return.

Last edited:

I am absolutely sure it's because Kent can rotate through the middle.

Selection is what it is. Unfortunately, in round 1 the last few spots at the selection table go to those who train the house down over summer.
They're rewarded for their effort, expected to improve and if they don't they're out of the side as fast as they came into it.
If Sharman is as good as everyone in here suggests he'll find himself in the seniors before long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection is what it is. Unfortunately, in round 1 the last few spots at the selection table go to those who train the house down over summer.
They're rewarded for their effort, expected to improve and if they don't they're out of the side as fast as they came into it.
If Sharman is as good as everyone in here suggests he'll find himself in the seniors before long.
Do you mean before long or before LONG?

Let me guess... both?

Kent attacks the ball and can win contested ball , it's one of the main reasons he was kept and Lonie moved on.
He is playing to replace a small and had good form in last VFL game.
Kent is now depth and it's good we have him to fill a void until Billings , Jones and Clark get back.

Literally the last 5 years on this board I've seen people time and time again explain how we must make like for like changes pretty much disregarding talent for perfect structure. The fact of the matter is Sharman is a more talented footballer than Wood or Kent. Plus he has way way more scope for improvement and those other 2 have been in the system for years and never shown enough to show they are up to it. Because they are not.
It's the definition of insanity. You accommodate your most skilled players and the good teams make that work. Insane how a team of our limited ability is going to leave a more talented footballer out for plodders because we think we can make cute decisions like that.

I think Ratts is going for more speed in the forward line - better defensive pressure. Ability to lock it in better.

But I would definitely have Sharman in. We don't have a decent 2nd kpf. Members and King may have a hard time of it, we will see tomorrow

Rapt to see Owens and Hayes debut tho

Only St.Kilda could select a player like Sharman in a mid season draft. Give him a game when he doesn't look physically ready.. watch him then kick 10 goals in 5 games and then pick 2 guys in front of him that have non stop proven they are not good enough for AFL. If you don't think that is confusing you are twisting the narrative to create something that isn't there.

Ya’ll need to get over Sharman. He was always battling with Wood for a spot. And truth is, Wood had a better pre-season by all reports (starting off by winning the time-trial).

Not to mention that, as clinical as Sharman was last year, Wood when he played did A LOT of team things that justified his role and that the coaches would’ve loved. In fact if he didn’t get injured would Sharman have even debuted?

Moreover, this guy shouldn’t be related to Sharman, but Hayes is in to both debut and chop out in the ruck. He’s a maturer body then Sharman and has also been super committed this pre-season. But they’re not really a like for like in the context of a balanced 22 for this game with our current injuries. Hayes offers more in regards to our current deficiencies.

Obviously, the club still rates Sharman (they couldn’t stop talking about him over the pre-season) but he’s clearly not where they want him to be yet - AND - he’s playing a position that we are well stocked in. Being a good AFL player is more holistic then just playing a great couple of games on debut. And the club would have greater insight to what Sharman needs more then any of us. Give him time, his talent ain’t going anywhere, but we have to win games early with the best current performers.

In the meantime the GOAT will have to wait a little longer.

I’m calling that we are really gonna miss one of either Coffield or Highmore for this game.

Battle could have a ripper though.

Look while we would have all loved another couple of our better players in who are not available and especially in the midfield group inclusive of Paddy (and who we will very much need when we play the best teams in the competition), the team as selected is still well balanced with a good spread of talent across the ground.

If we cannot beat the Pie's with this team then even with several other players back we will struggle against the best teams.

If our playing group is committed and work hard they should be good enough to defeat the Pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back