Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be good to see Brocky back in to add some of this forward pressure
Me too.

The big headache for Mitchell is that while our current group of established smalls are classy and basically selection locks they don’t provide zippy forward pressure. An ageing Breust, injury prone Wingard, Moorey (who had an average game) + a resting CMac.

Really want Brocky, Butler or even O’Sullivan/Bennetts in this side for some zip but it’s going to be hard structurally.

Dont get sucked into the average age and games played stat .
Their ruck and midfield core have had 30-40 games together and it showed .
We are literally throwing kids in there with a view to it working longterm .

Agree that its more important to have that experience in the midfield, but at the end of the day there was a minimal difference.

We probably made up some of that age/experience in our backline, which was deplorable all game. There was no structure, and they were never set-up behind the ball. We were caught out far too often. That's got to change ASAP.

It's going to take a few years to turn this around. Two years is optimistic IMO.
I have no doubt it's going to take a few years to get us back up in contention but we shouldn't expect beltings from bottom 8 sides long the way.
Hopefully $wines go easy on us 😬

Better rephrase my post. Impey squibbed too many contests to keep his spot. Not even hard contests, contests where literally being within 1m wouldve been enough to impact the contest. Has been gradually getting worse for a few years.

Kozi doesn't know where to lead, is slow, and can't mark to save himself. Super frustrating because he is the "super" almost player

Sicily was frustrating. Seemed caught between wanting to play his game, and a captains game, ended up doing neither

Noodle and Meek had no idea how to work together.

MacKenzie and worpel shining lights on a dour day

Umpiring, just wow. Can't tell if it's incompetence or direction, some absolute howlers. The missed trip, the hold that became a mark just to name a few. Didn't change the result, but made a bad day worse.

Poor game but no point getting worked up over it. The team is very raw. It is far from being a good team and its a bit rough to go after players who are having a bad game. At this stage many are playing for their careers. There is a long season ahead and my observation is that there are either problems with structures and game plan or players are not up to playing as required. Perhaps a combination of the two.

Expectations are low in general and the team will barely appear on free to air TV this year. We should just look forward to playing and coaching teams evolving. It is very early in the cycle.

I have no doubt it's going to take a few years to get us back up in contention but we shouldn't expect beltings from bottom 8 sides long the way.
Hopefully $wines go easy on us 😬

I agree with you re getting flogged by other poor teams. I'm just saying it will take a few years before we are (hopefully) good again.

My review of today's game:
I will get the negatives out of the way. Our defence was horrific today. DGB and Scrimshaw must come in next week for Sam Frost and Lachy Bramble. And our defence looked horrible, overall. We need to draft a key forward. I don't know if that means bringing in Will McCabe or Calsher Dear, both, or drafting someone like Archer Reid with our top pick, but Koschitzke is simply not good enough. Additionally, the connection between Reeves, Meek, and our midfield is not there yet. Worryingly, our forward pressure was not there today. And that was clearly exemplified by Dylan Moore who I thought had his worst game in years. Get Brockman or Butler in.
As for the positives, today marked the return of James Worpel. He looked like the beast of 2019, so it seems letting Mitchell and O'Meara go will finally allow him to be the player we all know he can be. He also looked much more efficient with his feet and hands. Josh Ward showed why he could be a potential Brownlow candidate in the future. Cameron Mackenzie was very impressive on his debut. His skills are elite. He adds a bit of French sophistication to our team. That first quarter highlights why we let go of Mitchell and O'Meara. I haven't seen our midfield work that well in years.
Overall, it was a very disappointing day. For some reason, we can never seem to beat teams such as Essendon and St Kilda, and we get our pants pulled down by them. However, there were some positives, and the first quarter showed that we have addressed the midfield woes that have been our downfall for the past six years.

Considering the profile of our list, people need to remember that we really aren’t supposed to win too many this year.

This is going to be another year of building up those guys that are going to be in our next side to compete while working out which ones won’t be there.

There were enough positives for me in that first quarter to tell me that we are in the right track

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When you run and gun through the middle, it's not a surprise when the defense is caught out by a mistake or turnover.

But when you take no risks, and move it slowly, the defense should be ready.

Somehow we both seem to have no-one forward of the ball when we force a turnover, and no-one set up behind the ball when we turn it over.

Gonna be a very long year.

As I said if you cannot stomach that , log out and we will see you in 40 or so games .
You're eco, I get it.
I'll stick fat but won't be meek in accepting being flogged by bottom sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUTS:
  • Bramble
  • Kosi
  • Frost

INS:
  • Scrimshaw
  • Lynch
  • DGB

CJ or Impey the sub. Nash to start the game.

Lynch to sit in the square and provide an actual target.

Scrimshaw to replace Bramble. Whatever "run" we were supposed to see from Bramble never happened. He looked unsure, was second to the ball, didn't defend his man and made some questionable decisions with ball in hand, when he wasn't kicking it 15m to someone in space.

DGB for Frost. If we are going to he pounded then I'd rather it be DGB learning on the job and making mistakes then Frost, who is on the back-end of his career.

In Pain GIF by MOODMAN

Turnover, turnover, turnover, Turnover, TurnOVER, TURNOVER!

We were very ambitious going for the corridor almost every chance we could but it became predictable with the dons just sweating on us in the square waiting for that corridor kick.

Need to fix this and it looked gameplan to me.

I hope we can't play worse than that.
Ground zero.

Wins will be very hard to come by with the forward line we had today.
Mind you the delivery to them was deplorable.

If Sam Frost plays like that next week he HAS to be dropped. Worst game I've seen from him (big call). Quite a few others put in bids on career worst outings.
Very disappointing considering the occasion.

We new going in to the season there would be lows so on to next week.

Say hello to the future!*

*The midfield clearance, not the Chad although that was great.

Could be goal of the round that. Though they'll probably give it to Draper for winning a BS free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back