Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the expectations. A lot of them expected to roll us with ease. It's a big let down hence the reaction. They also have this real fear of it being another false dawn.
They also played well so it's not like they can write it off as having not shown up. This was probably our best win for the season too for that reason. Came up against a top 4 team who recently beat Sydney in Sydney and despite being challenged tactically and losing the lead and momentum multiple times we were still able to respond and dig deep to secure the victory.

I think the fact we were down in 13th just makes it look worse for them than it really is. But the footy we've been playing for the best part of the past couple months is top 4/6 quality.

It was Dear. He's got no awareness of where the goal line is yet.

I'm on Dear's side for this one. That shot from Wiz was shockingly good and most of the time would drop short. I would rather our tall forwards contest on the line than just let the opponent do what they want. About five players were in that contest. And on replay I'm not even sure he touched it, they deemed it "insufficient evidence."

It wasn't as egregious as the Weddle one where he was the only player who could have touched it.

One of if not the biggest moment for me was Hardwicks turnover. I thought the game was gone at that point and it would have killed our momentum.

Just goes to show the spirit and fight this group has. Could have easily dropped our bundle at that point.

This team is special. I am so excited for what the future holds.

Just a weird little take from the last quarter.

We iced the game when we started playing the Northern wing. They poor guys were blinded going forward on the southern side. Couldn't hit a target to save themselves in that afternoon sun.

I think that's why Freo kept play covered on that side, we just managed to break through late.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Seemed to be the same scoring end all game:
= 16.12

Whereas the other end:
= 8.11

Last edited:
Meek, Newc and Worps played like possessed men in the last quarter.

Unlike last week, I thought the entire squad showed intent and competed well across the 4 quarters. That's exactly what we need again next week.

So proud of the boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on Dear's side for this one. That shot from Wiz was shockingly good and most of the time would drop short. I would rather our tall forwards contest on the line than just let the opponent do what they want. About five players were in that contest. And on replay I'm not even sure he touched it, they deemed it "insufficient evidence."

It wasn't as egregious as the Weddle one where he was the only player who could have touched it.

I'd prefer our forwards sheperd the ball through on the goal line rather than attempt to mark it. Something to practice next preseason.

Meek, Newc and Worps played like possessed men in the last quarter.

Unlike last week, I thought the entire squad showed intent and competed well across the 4 quarters. That's exactly what we need again next week.

So proud of the boys.

It is about our teams approach not the circumstances of the opposition. I thought they might be a bit too banged up after last two weeks, but it seems it’s just Sicily right now

Calsher is going to be an absoute beauty in a couple of years. We were screaming out for a player if his type and we are either very lucky or very smart with how we procured him so late in the draft. We could have spent a high draft pick to get a type like him (eg Caddy) but we took The Wiz and a player that will end up better than Caddy. Kudos to the recruiting team.

Montagna dropped us like a lead balloon once he got edjumacated by RH that we're not all that and doesn't rate Sam at all as a coach.
Went from in on the rebuild to won't be sniffing for 10 years.
If there's any truth to this rumour then Harvey's probably setback his senior coaching aspirations somewhat within the industry.

Imagine having front row, insider access to our rebuild and to then be so blatantly incorrect about its viability. Some might even notice that it really got going strong after he left...

I agree, I think Dear had to go for this, the Freo player was only a few centimetres away himself
I'd prefer our forwards sheperd the ball through on the goal line rather than attempt to mark it. Something to practice next preseason.
Much harder to shepherd in a pack situation like that

If there's any truth to this rumour then Harvey's probably setback his senior coaching aspirations somewhat within the industry.

Imagine having front row, insider access to our rebuild and to then be so blatantly incorrect about its viability. Some might even notice that it really got going strong after he left...

Don't think Harv's has that much rep to worry about in the wider AFL re coaching aspirations.
Not seen as a particularly good communicator and I don't believe heavily considered for senior coaching opportunities.

Oh, and he was gobsmackingly wrong about Sam who has had glowing reports from West Coast players as to his acumen and abilities to effect change with his thoughts about the game, not to mention he hit the ground sprinting in his ability to connect with the young fellas at Box Hill.

Montagna would absolutely know now he wrongly got off a winning horse, but has to bide his time till he can come back on to us and hope most will have forgotten.

That was a high pressure ,low possession game where players had little space to work in.
If that was a preliminary final it would be the perfect preparation for a grand final.As such I don't fancy Collingwood's chances next Saturday

I just want to highlight that, in the pre-game thread, I said Sic would be hampered/inhibited by his shoulder, and there it was.

But it probably won the game for us in the end…
I want to highlight that I said I wouldn't be surprised if we got flogged. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back