Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2023: Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG 3.20pm March 19th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be disappointed if we lose to be honest.

They are missing some of their best players, selecting underdone players and we finished higher than them.

If we cannot get over this mob we most likely finish bottom 4.
Yes and no…

The club and Sam have continually told us that we’re building connection, and with such a new midfield group that will take time.

It won’t at all surprise me if they get hold of us in the middle as the large majority of their midfielders have played together for the last 2 to 3 years at least.

McCartney is on the record as saying that we might take a bit to gel, but that we should be a different side later in the year and win some games.

So I can’t be super confident about tomorrow, and will have to impatiently wait to see if we do gel tomorrow and as the year rolls on to become a more dangerous side if we do start off slow.

If we do win tomorrow then I’ll be pumped and that would be great, but my expectations are pretty low to begin with for 2023.

I might take the piss out of Tassie Cryptic, who is an insufferable fanboii and has been suspiciously quiet of late, but I really feel for Nash.

Prior to the Collingwood practice match I would have picked him ahead of Worpel for round one, and it wouldn't have been close. But Worpel played really well and showed flashes of his BnF form, whilst Nash had a quiet game (though with some nice moments).

McKenzie being so damn impressive did not help his cause either.

I also think that the inclusion of Meek, who offers a real physical presence, may also have a little bit of an impact here.

I felt like Nash was deserving of a chance to play in his preferred midfield role after last season. Though I suspect he will now really be consigned to a Mr Fix It kind of role in the side if he does work his way back in. It may be better for the club on the whole, but we are unlikely to see what Nash could do as a pure midfielder.

I might take the piss out of Tassie Cryptic, who is an insufferable fanboii and has been suspiciously quiet of late, but I really feel for Nash.

Prior to the Collingwood practice match I would have picked him ahead of Worpel for round one, and it wouldn't have been close. But Worpel played really well and showed flashes of his BnF form, whilst Nash had a quiet game (though with some nice moments).

McKenzie being so damn impressive did not help his cause either.

I also think that the inclusion of Meek, who offers a real physical presence, may also have a little bit of an impact here.

I felt like Nash was deserving of a chance to play in his preferred midfield role after last season. Though I suspect he will now really be consigned to a Mr Fix It kind of role in the side if he does work his way back in. It may be better for the club on the whole, but we are unlikely to see what Nash could do as a pure midfielder.
Finn being clearly best 22 makes it tough too.

Was Ned Long one of the standout players during the pre-season? I don’t think i’ve seen his name mentioned all that much during the training reports.
He has been a good performer in preseason, but as a supporter I want to see him perform to a good level at VFL level because last year he was very patchy in form.

Just an fyi but this bloke is finally coming into round 1 after a full pre season… theirs a new level coming this year.

Never takes a backwards step

Watching that again they could have picked a couple of better moments for him. He had a number of times where he had a run from the centre instead they picked a lot where he has missed the target with his handball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would temper expectations a little .
We certainly can win , talent is there and we have opportunity with some outs.

But we have a very young side and a lot of guys who havent played much together. May be some teething/ gelling issues before we really get synergy .
Excuse the intrusion! That exact comment is what I’ve been writing on the Bombers pages when looking at our year ahead. Sounds like we’re both in the same boat on these ‘growing pains’ issues.

Need a big turnout of supporters for this game, as it could be a record breaking round with 230,000+ people attending the first 4 games. The record IIRC is just a tad over 400,000 for a normal H&A round. Looking at the games, it's going to be close. It could depend on YOU!

Nash is the perfect sub. Can cover tall and small roles and can pinch hit as a ruck if a Ruckman goes down. Plus he will bring physicality and a big motor.
I don't disagree with any of this. On paper he is the perfect sub. He can be used to ensure we keep our desired structure if someone goes down or if we need more run (i.e replace a ruckman)

My concern is on his ability to impact the game. He is a low production player. Will he come on and turn the game / give us a spark? Maybe a Brockman or Scrimshaw better in that respect.

Be interesting to see which way we go. Do we go with a sub to keep our structure or go with a sub to positively impact the game?

Guys like Nash and Scrim on the emergency list is good for us.

Gives both a kick up the arse and puts all senior players on notice that these young fellas are the real deal. Competition for spots creates strong culture, and a strong culture is the soil needed to grow a successful side.

He has been a good performer in preseason, but as a supporter I want to see him perform to a good level at VFL level because last year he was very patchy in form.
To be fair davo he didn't spend alot of time In the centre it was mainly Howe sheils and parsons. He was forced to play ruck and as a key forward which would've stagnated he's progress abit.

Our DAY will come.
Oh I was thinking that there was LANGFORD sale and it’s time to buy up…

Sad Michael Scott GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back