Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Bynes is an interesting one.

Was well involved in the game.

But gee he butchers the ball by foot.

Still looking like only a fringe player if he can't improve by foot but I fear he reached that ceiling a while ago. Only R1 though.

8-9 seems reasonable.

If you take out last year's start which was an anomaly, we are basically a 50/50 proposition each week.

A slow start could see us really capitulate. Soft AF mentally, won't take much for the year to go real pear shaped.
A mentally soft side would have thrown it in not kept coming .

Terrible skills, poor decision making and a slow badly beaten midfield were my take aways .

Geelong are no good and were there for the taking.

Very poor loss and performance.

Zero skills and composure when it mattered.

Speed” and effort matter little when you continually butcher the pill and make poor decisions.
Yep , said that before the game, some thought that because we have more speed in the side that all was fixed

Idk I was roapable last night but winning in Geelong is almost impossible combine it with rd 1 ,new stadium. I think we were doomed from the start.

I said during the week I was worried about the run and gun without Sincs. Especially during high pressure games. If I hear another word about that Ollie Dempsey ill
Spew.

To those saying we havnt improved etc ‘we will only win 8 games’ have a long hard look at yourself. Once again Ross has shown how our defence will keep is in 95 % of games hence , nearly coming back and winning.

Goal kicking was average.

It took our guys a bit too long to adjust.

Thought Byrnes really tried hard. Also think we really miss butlers skills/finesse. Think Ross is ready to push out Higg once Lance is ready.

Overall Ik not too displeased. Really like kings ability to get up and down the ground. Have to keep persisting with Pou in the guys. Fast need to put Owens there too. Props to Ross for throwing a lot of different guys in there. Windy, Henry etc. for those who think these blokes will just become 10 clearance /30 disposal players in a second need to be more patient.

To put our performance into context.

Geelong were really poor and had a significant home ground advantage.

It's only R1 though.

Before last night I had us down for a loss against the Cats and a win against the Pies.

I'm not so sure now.

Would have to be a completely different team out there against the Pies.

The summer of love is over!

I didn’t mind the commentary, even Selwood was pumping up our kids most of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Correct , i don't know what the big stink about the commentary team is , they were quiet excited when the saints had a crack in the last quarter, there are a lot of sensitive people on here who take out their frustration on the commentary instead of looking at the problem why we lost

What happened to Higgins?
Was an excellent goal kicker the first couple of seasons.
He looks like an octopus trying to kick a football , arms and legs going all over the show , i don't think i have ever seen anything so uncoordinated in my life
His general field kicking is just as bad

This will be unpopular, but we missed Doogs.
Cordy very meh for me.

Inside 50 kicks have improved, but those kicks out of our defensive 50, awful.

And on a positive note, really good game by Timmy. Happy he’s back.

I don't rate him but thought he was pretty solid. Seemed to negate Hawkins.

Move King to CHF, and keep Membrey and Sharman closer to goal.
I personally couldn't give a s*hit about King winning the Coleman, I want to win games...and win games by kicking accurately. King would still be good for 40+ and would easily be an AA CHF, playing further up.

He seemed to be quite mobile yesterday. If he'd kicked 4.2 instead of 2.4 he would have played brilliant game. Had 17 possessions. 5 more than Brad Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, doesn’t feel like a real melt-worthy one tonight. It’s a genuine home ground advantage and despite all the concerns that others have pointed out already, we could well have won that. I feared much worse when the lead blew out a bit in the second quarter.

Five day break doesn’t feel great already but I’m keen to take a massive swing at the premiers on Thursday.

Not melting but it was an optimism sapper.

How good , playing Collingwood after two losses, at the G , after a 5 day break. 🙃
Round 3 is shaping up to be a massive game against Essendon. We really need to beat Bombers and Tigers in R4, because we are getting flogged by Pies and GWS round 5.

This team is no chance of finals if we start 1-4.

I hate kids making their debut as the sub.

Something about it just really rubs me the wrong way and I feel like, culturally, it's something that clubs should get right away from.

If Collard is good enough to play then let him play and get a few touches. Feel his way into it.

Don't sit him down for half a game then expect him to be a difference maker when he takes the field.

Max 2.4 and burned collard twice in the last wasn’t great.

Personally higgins is absolutely nowhere near best 22 anymore, he’s a liability at this point.

The rest was pretty good imo. Geelong in Geelong is always tough and we played really poorly most of the first half but stayed in the contest.

Henry and Wilson look like they’ll improve us a lot. I’m not sold on Bonar, might be harsh but he’s a poor man’s Sinclair and looks lost defensively.

Bonner was pretty good IMO. Sincs is elite and our best player, he's not as good as that but not many are.

Yep Higgins is a massive liability. Not sure how we could play him again barring some kind of miracle turn around in form.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He set up goals, his conversion was awful though. He's lucky that we don't have many small forwards available still.

Danger arrives late knee's Stocker right in the lower back which ends the game for Stocker. Yet amazingly Danger gets a free kick, an absolutely ludicrous decision.

What would be the penalty if Jimmy Webster had done what Dangerfield did?
JWeb certainly would NOT have gotten a ******* free kick for it.
Go read the rule book , seriously

Some post game melts already in mid season form! Overall, some things to like and heaps to improve on.

King was excellent - 17 disposals, 8 marks, kicked 2.4 and set up 2 more. Obviously needs to kick straighter but thats as complete of a game as we've seen from him. He was impacting around the ground and was moving as good as we've seen him. He's a star.

Henry looks like an excellent pick up. While he had some mistakes and still needs to learn how to best work with his new teammates, he adds some much needed spark to the side. Looking forward to seeing him unleashed at Marvel where he is perfectly suited for.

Steele and Marshall were lone hands in the midfield but thats nothing new. Playing Crouch was a bad call, looked no where near ready. Phillipou isn't ready to be a full time mid but glad to see him getting the opportunity. Windy looked better in the midfield once he was moved there in the 2nd half. Based on the press conference, neither had the best prep for the game so should see improvement in them over the next few weeks. With the clear midfield weakness, add me to the chorus on here for playing Owens there more. His contested possession rate is unmatched so let's put him where the ball needs to be won.

NWM and Bonner were dangerous offensively but we seemed weaker defensively. One of the great things about Sinclair is his defending is more than solid for an attacking half back so without him and with no Webster, we didn't seem as strong as usual. Cordy was fine - barely noticed him which is a compliment for the full back. Battle worked into the game but another one who started slow after an interrupted lead up.

Geelong in Geelong is always one of the hardest road trips in footy. Glad it's done for the year.

Last edited:
I don't understand the hate for Sharman's move down back in the 2nd half - he was a perfect matchup for Dempsey and curtailed his impact.

We just bottled some big moments, and the Cats nailed theirs. The class of their guns (Danger's goal, Cameron, Holmes etc) was the difference.
But but but - he's a natural forward (who barely had an impact in the fwd line in the first half.)

Phillipou is not a mid yet.

Can't wait to see Mitch rucking against Mason Cox or Darcy Cameron next week although the bigger ground will suit our running style.

"We just bottled some big moments, and the Cats nailed theirs." 👍👍👍

On the plus side I think we've got much better footy in is then what we showed. We'll big average again this year though.

I thought Mason had a very quiet game,

He had a pretty ordinary game in the practice match too. Hope he can get his form back. First half of last year he nearly our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back