Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much angst here, think we'll beat a lot of teams this year esp considering what I've seen in other games.

Main gripes:

* Why the feck was Crouch playing or at least not subbed. That's just stubborn from Lyon, Crouch was literally hobbling.

* Does King have something against Collard? Hope he gets grilled for some of those selfish decisions (although thought he played well overall)

* Pou forward - Owens on ball. Is there some magic reason this isn't happening? Membrey is playing the role Owens would play and doing it very well

* Sharman is a forward only imhfo

* Marshall's a gun, Henry looks very good as does Wilson

Most other things have already been said!

Oh and **** Dangerfield, wish we'd put some body heat on him all night.

I have never seen it with Higgins.
He is a liability as a pressure forward, simply not quick or fit enough. At the very minimum butler will give you that.
So that must mean he is a dead eye crafty small forward, well no, he is quite the opposite. He sprays so many chances, and ruins our momentum.
So what is his actual role in the team?
As soon as butts is fit to play; he has to come in for Higgins. Pump some games into collard, Wilson and Garcia as the other small forwards, because unfortunately Higgins just ain’t it.

He's a thirty goal a year medium forward which are hard to find. In a better structured forward line he'd probably good for a 45 goal season one day. Collard is fighting it out with Butler for the small pressure forward spot.

Going down there with their new stand and after missing finals was the toughest road trip of round 1 too.

Also yeah Higgins, I don't see it I've said that for a long time, he lost that little bit of pace and penetration on his kicking to be a high-quality player. Re-shuffle of the lineup should include Higgins going to Sandy.

My take on why we are getting post game melt downs by some supporters.

We've just finished the summer of love.

Recorded on a loop was...

Ross is the Boss, can turn water into wine

All our kids are instant stars, never mind the statistics for recruiting fails

We played a final in Ross's first year with injuries, never mind we over achievd and had an incredibly easy draw in the first half while the comp worked us out and other results fell our way in the second half to allow us to fall into the 8 and then be made to look like boys against men by GWS.

Constant talk of a top 4 finish, never mind virtually all non St Kilda nuffies predicting we would slide.

My advise to those having a melt down is to research what it means to be living in an echo chamber.

I know it's only R1 but we are in the early stages of a significant rebuild (shhh, don't tell anyone), so we just need to temper expectations and be patient.

Having said that last night's performance was really poor, thankfully Geelong were also on the nose which should help us avoid media scrutiny this week.

He's a thirty goal a year medium forward which are hard to find. In a better structured forward line he'd probably good for a 45 goal season one day. Collard is fighting it out with Butler for the small pressure forward spot.
Disagree I think he's a liability defensively, in the contest and in front of goals.

Not much angst here, think we'll beat a lot of teams this year esp considering what I've seen in other games.

Main gripes:

* Why the feck was Crouch playing or at least not subbed. That's just stubborn from Lyon, Crouch was literally hobbling.

* Does King have something against Collard? Hope he gets grilled for some of those selfish decisions (although thought he played well overall)

* Pou forward - Owens on ball. Is there some magic reason this isn't happening? Membrey is playing the role Owens would play and doing it very well

* Sharman is a forward only imhfo

* Marshall's a gun, Henry looks very good as does Wilson

Most other things have already been said!

Oh and * Dangerfield, wish we'd put some body heat on him all night.
Yep not sold on Pou as a midfielder - an occasional run at the right time ok & good for development but just not ready and proven he can impact as a half forward type.

Yep we will get more bang for our buck with Owens in there - contested beast!

Some post game melts already in mid season form! Overall, some things to like and heaps to improve on.

King was excellent - 17 disposals, 8 marks, kicked 2.4 and set up 2 more. Obviously needs to kick straighter but thats as complete of a game as we've seen from him. He was impacting around the ground and was moving as good as we've seen him. He's a star.

Henry looks like an excellent pick up. While he had some mistakes and still needs to learn how to best work with his new teammates, he adds some much needed spark to the side. Looking forward to seeing him unleashed at Marvel where he is perfectly suited for.

Steele and Marshall were lone hands in the midfield but thats nothing new. Playing Crouch was a bad call, looked no where near ready. Phillipou isn't ready to be a full time mid but glad to see him getting the opportunity. Windy looked better in the midfield once he was moved there in the 2nd half. Based on the press conference, neither had the best prep for the game so should see improvement in them over the next few weeks. With the clear midfield weakness, add me to the chorus on here for playing Owens there more. His contested possession rate is unmatched so let's put him where the ball needs to be won.

NWM and Bonner were dangerous offensively but we seemed weaker defensively. One of the great things about Sinclair is his defending is more than solid for an attacking half back so without him and with no Webster, we didn't seem as strong as usual. Cordy was fine - barely noticed him which is a compliment for the full back. Battle worked into the game but another one who started slow after an interrupted lead up.

Geelong in Geelong is always one of the hardest road trips in footy. Glad it's done for the year.
Wouldn't mind seeing Pou do some midfield time in the VFL. Start dominating games at that level.

It's fair to say we cost ourselves this one, but that's doesn't excuse the bloody appalling umpiring. They really are a blight on the game now days.

Bad moves from the coaching staff were that we were very unprepared for that ground, and Jones probably should have been the sub. I feel very sorry for Lance this morning, however l can't criticize putting games into the kids asap coz we really need it.

Both Higgo and King need to play higher up the ground which was already clear last year.
Sincs and Butler seem basically irreplaceable for us at the moment and Jweb's absence was also felt which is a bit of worry. Not sold on Bonner after that either. Perhaps like the Dee's found out with JB, we can see why he was moved on.
Ro was dreadful in the ruck for most of the game but others obviously saw something l didn't.

The few positives were Henry, Wilson, Windy and Cordy. Not having the heart in mouth feeling whenever Doogs is involved is well worth whatever differences between the two.

Another development year it is.

My take on why we are getting post game melt downs by some supporters.

We've just finished the summer of love.

Recorded on a loop was...

Ross is the Boss, can turn water into wine

All our kids are instant stars, never mind the statistics for recruiting fails

We played a final in Ross's first year with injuries, never mind we over achievd and had an incredibly easy draw in the first half while the comp worked us out and other results fell our way in the second half to allow us to fall into the 8 and then be made to look like boys against men by GWS.

Constant talk of a top 4 finish, never mind virtually all non St Kilda nuffies predicting we would slide.

My advise to those having a melt down is to research what it means to be living in an echo chamber.

I know it's only R1 but we are in the early stages of a significant rebuild (shhh, don't tell anyone), so we just need to temper expectations and be patient.

Having said that last night's performance was really poor, thankfully Geelong were also on the nose which should help us avoid media scrutiny this week.
Lol yeah pretty glad the summer of love and a certain poster's "my opinion is more important than yours" is over...

Not referring to the Brains Trust either!

Geelong were the better side tonight. Their tall backs and the long thin ground make it very hard to not be kicking to a contest when going forward.
Sharman went back as we needed a tall to quell Dempsy and/or Henry who did sfa.
Bonner, played a good game but you can see why Port let him go, and NWM is not a contested high ball back. So we were one short hence Sharman. Think they tried Wood as the defensive winger, as extra high ball cover and that didnt go to plan.

Higgins was awful and got in the way more often than not....Butler please. Henry will have his moments this year.

King and Membrey were excellent. King needs to start being used more like Daniher does at Bris. Owes Collard an apology or two.

Didn't know Crouch was playing till 3rd quarter....he looked sore and short of a gallop.

Got little extra from Pou, Owens and Windy so our mids liked bite. Marshall and Steele saved us from being pantsed. AGAIN. Byrnes put up his hand and said I am all in and was in our best players.

Geelong had chances to win easily we had a chance to win just. Result was a fair indication of the two teams. Umps were not a factor except should have paid Owens mark of the year contender. Stocker free was play on seen worse not paid.

Just think if we had Jeremy Cameron, 2nd qtr brilliance, in our side, we would be almost flag contenders.

Unfortunately, we do not have a lot to come in against Collingwood Sincs for Stocker. Jones probably should play instead of Collard or Ross....who just looked out of place.

Hard start to the year playing 2 premiers from last 3 years effectively away from home. Gamestyle looks more conducive to winning games than last year and nothing so far indicates to me that once again we will be thereabouts somewhere between ladder spot 5 and 10.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally higgins is absolutely nowhere near best 22 anymore, he’s a liability at this point.

Agreed. I reckon they’re trying to fix his forward pressure but that’s having the side effect of making him less effective as a goal kicker. Also he used to get a bunch of goals leading up but with three talls and Mitch down there that’s not going to work. Not sure he fits tbh.

Lol yeah pretty glad the summer of love and a certain poster's "my opinion is more important than yours" is over...

Not referring to the Brains Trust either!

Are you suggesting the committee for Badge Awards should come under some scrutiny?

I wouldn't disagree that the certification program needs reviewing, seems very opaque and clicky.

Anatomy of a Joke.

Starting three months ago, I started posting in the preview then game threads about Dangerfield.
And the issues with his shoulders.
W.o.E issues I called it.
Raising doubts as to his fitness.

Proof that Sunny is prepared to play the long game for a laugh.

It wasn’t a brilliant joke, more amusing. Heh, what can you do?

However it relied on another poster to actually ask the question: what is W.o.E?

And……….

No one did.

For the entire three months.

Which was initially frustrating, then extremely amusing.

I can only assume that this was because: no one reads my posts, or no one takes any interest in them, or everyone understood the joke, or everyone knows what W.o.E is.

Or, and I think this is the case, no one was game enough to ask the question and reveal their ignorance about W.o.E.

Well done everyone for playing, you have given me three months of grand amusement.

I salute you.

You surpassed my own W.o.E. when toying around with this idea.

I hate kids making their debut as the sub.

Something about it just really rubs me the wrong way and I feel like, culturally, it's something that clubs should get right away from.

If Collard is good enough to play then let him play and get a few touches. Feel his way into it.

Don't sit him down for half a game then expect him to be a difference maker when he takes the field.
And his family flew over for it. I feel for the kid, it was awful.

I hate kids making their debut as the sub.

Something about it just really rubs me the wrong way and I feel like, culturally, it's something that clubs should get right away from.

If Collard is good enough to play then let him play and get a few touches. Feel his way into it.

Don't sit him down for half a game then expect him to be a difference maker when he takes the field.
Based on the debut video, he wasn't seen as good enough to be best 22. He was just the best of the rest since we had to name a sub.

Very unfortunate for him but we had to name the strongest side we had available.

In a perfect world, it wouldn't do him any harm. But we don't have the list depth or players available to have someone of his quality slumming it at Sandy.
At this stage though he's offering very little in the first team. Don't think we'd miss him at all. Needs to find form.

This is notoriously the hardest trip in football, combined with the opening of the stand made it an extremely difficult round 1 match.

I'm also disappointed as always with a loss but seriously what is with the melts? We played nowhere near our best football, and in the patches we played our brand we looked a way better side. Yet we were up to necks in this.

We really should've been up going into 3/4 time after keeping them goalless, just fluffed multiple chances.

The ground definitely didn't allow us to run and carry like we wanted.

Everyone shouldn't hit the panic button yet, that is a long way away. Unless we lose to Essendon and Gresham kicks 5.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on the debut video, he wasn't seen as good enough to be best 22. He was just the best of the rest since we had to name a sub.

Very unfortunate for him but we had to name the strongest side we had available.
Not true, Ross loves him and he deserved his spot - I'd be surprised if he didn't stay in.

He's such a likeable kid, I'm on board the Collard train. In his first training session he was a fish out of water, only beat guys like Moose in the running - looked almost disinterested.

He continues to be the last one in the line for drills and made to look worse when he has a fellow draftee like Wilson (to compare to) with his shirt tucked in, socks pulled up and always at the front of the queue.

BUT, his fitness has improved out of site since joining the club - he belongs. As soon as match sim happens he turns it on, he is one of if not the most natural footballer on our list. Maybe King was dirty he marked one of his kicks on the line in match sim on Thursday (jokes), but Collard has IT and after being confused with the initial selection - he's absolutely won me over.

Not true, Ross loves him and he deserved his spot - I'd be surprised if he didn't stay in.

He's such a likeable kid, I'm on board the Collard train. In his first training session he was a fish out of water, only beat guys like Moose in the running - looked almost disinterested.

He continues to be the last one in the line for drills and made to look worse when he has a fellow draftee like Wilson (to compare to) with his shirt tucked in, socks pulled up and always at the front of the queue.

BUT, his fitness has improved out of site since joining the club - he belongs. As soon as match sim happens he turns it on, he is one of if not the most natural footballer on our list. Maybe King was dirty he marked one of his kicks on the line in match sim on Thursday (jokes), but Collard has IT and after being confused with the initial selection - he's absolutely won me over.
Yep and he will play an important role. Without Butler in the team we need some speed in the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back