Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our midfield is already shit and then:

• Crouch doesn't play a minute of preseason so is short of a run (63% TOG)
  • Ross plays but is terrible so gets subbed out for a 0 gamer
  • Jones misses out because he's underdone
  • Sinclair is injured
  • Dow is injured
  • Clark is injured

In the end it's basically Steele + Marshall + no-one. Phillipou's nowhere near an AFL quality mid yet, even though he should be good eventually. Windy not there yet. Henry doesn't look like a good clearance winner to me any more than Gresh was.

We're only going to be competitive this year when we have all our best mids fit and firing. We don't have the depth to cover them.

Richmond and Bombers looked okay this week. We'll want to start to put some form together.
First round...playing on a weird ground full of hostiles, with the usual umpiring s*it show. There was a bit to like...and we did well to punch on after being 4 goals down.
I think we'll be in most games. We need to tweak the centre; and the forward line needs better cohesion, I'm hoping that part at least comes together as the season progresses.

First round...playing on a weird ground full of hostiles, with the usual umpiring s*it show. There was a bit to like...and we did well to punch on after being 4 goals down.
I think we'll be in most games. We need to tweak the centre; and the forward line needs better cohesion, I'm hoping that part at least comes together as the season progresses.
I don't share the optimism, you can play well and lose. But we played poorly against a team who also played poorly.

I feel like I need a week to digest that game. In reality we should've lost by 10 goals, Ross said it himself and half time - we should've been shut out of the game in the first half.

Wilson showed exactly why he needs to play every week, he'll run anyone off their feet.

Our forwardline cohesion fell apart when when Sharman was moved onto that noname flog. Collard didn't touch it, but he was far from horrible with his movement. Owens needs to be thrown into the action, he is too competitive to be allowed to go missing so often. His kicking for goal continues to be horrible. Higgins, twice tonight he absolutely killed us, actually twice is being very kind. Hopefully Butler is available, I'd keep Collard in.

The umpiring was deplorable at the worst moments. Stocker decision was a disgrace- imagine not going for the ball, kneeing someone in the back on purpose and getting a free, all because someone got injured over a decade ago... the deliberate against Bonner was a shocker. The Mannagh 'score involvement', well it was one of many rubbish calls.

Henry was great, not sure what he has to do to win a free. Crouch has barely trained with the main group this year, he looked really underdone - I'd rather see Garcia having a dead set crack over watching Crouch literally unable to move his legs with ball in hand. Ross was poor but looked worse with Crouch struggling to move. Steele needs help, Pou is promising but is rarely on the move in the middle - we desperately need Dow in there. I liked Windys attack on the footy, needs to be cleaner by foot still. I know why we have been chasing Max Holmes' signature for years now...

Wood and Hill looked a half a yard off their best, I think the niggles to Battle, Pou etc late in the preseason has really slowed our momentum.

We missed Webster tonight, Nas and Bonner were ok but not wonderful defensively, needed Jimmy to take noname - it wouldve also kept Sharman up forward. Sinclair needs to come back in asap. Cordy was ok, but we are a better side with Howard in there from a defensive aspect.

It wasn't the umpires who lost that game for us, our game plan didn't hold up to their pressure and skinnier ground. All preseason we've used the width, been clean with 20m zig zag kicks stretching the wings - problem is, tonight we didn't have the width to use and we had the actual pressure of an AFL match. I noticed tonight we had a lot of complaints about smothers or missed kicks on the wings and that's why.

After the most promising and exciting preseason that I have ever watched us go through - and Ive watched a lot, I am as deflated as I can be right now.

I can lose to a better side and cop it, but tonight is such a bitter pill to swallow knowing we've bottled round round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield is already s**t and then:

• Sinclair is injured
  • Dow is injured
  • Clark is injured

In the end it's basically Steele + Marshall + no-one. Phillipou's nowhere near an AFL quality mid yet, even though he should be good eventually. Windy not there yet. Henry doesn't look like a good clearance winner to me any more than Gresh was.

We're only going to be competitive this year when we have all our best mids fit and firing. We don't have the depth to cover them.
Agreed. It's putrid. We desperately need Dow and Sincs in there and we need to give as much time in there to Poo and Mitch or we will never make it.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Changes for next week:

Ross out, Sinclair in
Collard out, Garcia in
Sharman out, Caminiti in

Any more? Who replaces Stocker?
Higgins out.
Sharman in but play him forward.

Coaching panel need to rethink Owens and Philippou's roles for now and also long term.

Stocker looked OK, don't think he'll be out unless there's something I've missed.

Our midfield is already s**t and then:

• Sinclair is injured
  • Dow is injured
  • Clark is injured

This 100%
Even with those guys back you have to wonder if it will make that much difference. Jones will break down again after 5 minutes. Clark doesn't offer much in the centre and is better around the ground, Sinc's is a pinch hitter only, and Dow is an unknown for us and is only one man.
The kids need to come on quick.

Saints, touch Geelong. Free kick...

Geelong, hold Henry in the bounce, then get him high...play on...

Absolutely diabolical cheating, but that's okay you fluro cheating campaigner * wits...
85% winning percentage there because it’s shaped like a dildo and the umpires gladly take the same from the cats players and comply with free kicks no matter what. Knee in the back, free kick for taking out the legs; get hit in the head and pushed in the back, play on…

When we get to the proper shaped grounds, we win with spread. It’s not all bad. In fact, it’s pretty good. Henry looks an instant fix, Max was leading and Wilson will be a gun immediately.

Chin up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back