Preview Round 1: Bulldogs vs Fremantle, March 27 2016, Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The closer we get the more likely I reckon we'll do okay, but the reality is that's because the comp is so ******* shit this season. So many average teams. I miss the days of Hawthorn, St Kilda, and the Cats all being really good sides with the Pies even ducking in for a year or three. These days it's the Hawks and then the Eagles basically by default. Freo could make a Granny but Hawthorn are head and shoulders above.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way, it is not that the rest is so weak it is that the Hawks (of the last three seasons, who knows what they will be like this year) are a one in 100 years side ...

I remember watching the Dogs v Crows final, and being bemused at how everyone was calling it such a great game. There was zero defence. I knew the winner would get absolutely flogged in their next match.

Thank you - I remember finding this game borderline unwatchable, and then reading about it in the paper with completely different impressions ...

With Crameri out and Dickson likely out also I actually think we should be able to cover their forwards better than we did last year. It's not exactly a Hawthorn or West Coast forward line (full of stars) and we do fine against both of those two teams in defence. We should hopefully have plenty of support for whoever takes Stringer this time. Johnson did a number on him last time (Round 7), and still managed 29 disposals and to support others at times (whoever was on Dickson!), so not sure why we'd switch to a small defender on him instead? Can also see Mundy dropping back to assist more this year. If Redpath comes in then Ibbo should be more than fine covering him and still getting plenty of intercepts. We certainly won't need Silvagni to play as well. I am not sure why all the panic about our defence all of a sudden? It's as solid as it was last year, we'll be fine so long as it isn't raining inside 50s for them.

I am more worried about negating their run off half back - can see us playing Mzungu as a defensive forward to assist Mayne and Ballantyne, to limit the influence of Murphy, Wood, and M.Boyd. Might be worth playing Weller as well for this reason and omitting Tabs (otherwise we are way too tall I think). Be great if we can give Pav and Clarke/Griffin some room in our forward 50 to run rampant against Adams, who seems their only tall(ish) defender playing. Have no idea how they are going to stop Fyfe in the forward line if we can get the ball coming in there nicely.

Our midfield should win the vast majority of clearances so I think if we can derail their transition out of defence we should win quite comfortably. If not, it's going to be a slog to the end and suspect we might get done over.

Not really. I wasn't expecting Ross to make more than 1 or 2 changes to last years side to start the season.
He said as much after NAB 2, that of the players given opportunity no one had pressed a solid claim and the side selected for NAB 3 which was a dress rehearsal had no surprises.
The only reason Weller is getting a look at it is because Bennell isn't available yet. Peel can expect to have the services of the amigos for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Clancee won't play after his last NAB cup effort, regardless of how well he played for Peel.

He's looking a lot like the classic 'too good for WAFL, not good enough for AFL' type to me these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back