Preview Round 1 - Dockers v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to this game and hopefully the boys are chomping at the bit to correct last week's woes.
I live in WA, which can be a lonely place as a Lions fan.
And with the Jim Stynes love, it's a bit of a confused existence!

My sister is visiting from Ireland next week with her husband and 2 kids, so will bring them along to their first ever AFL game. Sitting in upper tier on the wing

We are crap coming off a bye and now we have 2 of them, lol.

I agree, I've said earlier too that a better attitude and greater commitment was needed. We seem to fire up after a loss, I expect the same this week.
The club will do well to treat none of this first patch of matches like a bye. We've had a 7 day break, then an 8 day break, currently we're in the middle of a 10 day break, which will be followed by an 11 day break before another 8 day break leading into Gather Round.

When you account for the fact that the 11 day break includes travel from Perth to Brisbane, none of these breaks really constitute a legitimate bye or full week off.

Excited to see how we respond after last week. I expect the team to remain largely unchanged; excluding the replacement for Coleman.

Freo play pretty dour footy so this game will probably be a slog but I reckon we'll get the chocolates regardless. As long as we get the four points and put ourselves into a good position going into the Collingwood game I'll be happy.

I was just wondering if this opening round concept has cruelled us. We already had a shortened preseason because of the GF and then another week shorter because we start a week earlier than most.

It's only a week I know but would Neale, Berry n Payne have been so underdone? We would have had McKenna and Dev right to go. We could have started the season v Freo or whomever at full strength. It's gotta be tough to fit in post season surgeries and recovery as it is but over an even shorter preseason it's gotta be even tougher. We also would have had another week to evaluate or refine the Dizzy experiment. It also means we're now coming up against a team that hasn't been belted around and suffered injuries, a team that's starting fresh with an extra week to prepare.

Carlton had an extra week of preseason because of their earlier exit in the finals. Did that make a difference? Same with Collingwood and GWS. It's certainly not proof of what I'm trying to get at here but it does open it up for consideration.

I just want every team to start on as equal a footing as possible. I don't think this opening round concept does that and I don't think an early bye compensates for that in any way. It also seems the AFL are intent on continuing this opening round in the future. So regardless where we finish our preseason will be shorter than most as long as they continue with it.

Anyway v Freo I'm hopeful of an improvement and a win we definitely need.
the three you mentioned have had interrupted off seasons and hopefully they improve quickly

Excited to see how we respond after last week. I expect the team to remain largely unchanged; excluding the replacement for Coleman.

Freo play pretty dour footy so this game will probably be a slog but I reckon we'll get the chocolates regardless. As long as we get the four points and put ourselves into a good position going into the Collingwood game I'll be happy.
Agree, although a few would be on notice you would think, particularly Jack Payne, probably the worst game I've seen Jack play, looked disinterested and cumbersome.

Agree, although a few would be on notice you would think, particularly Jack Payne, probably the worst game I've seen Jack play, looked disinterested and cumbersome.
Completely agree. Personally I'd rather keep the team as is so far and give the playing group the chance to settle since it's so early in the year and there isn't really any exposed form to go off of, but if Payne and a couple of others don't improve then it's off to the magoos for them I suppose.

It's disappointing because, in particular, Payne finding his form from early last year is a major piece of our run at the flag this year. He was unstoppable until he hurt his ankle.

I think we'll be absolutely fired up and make a big statement. This could be one of our biggest away wins in recent times.
Will take more than a win over Freo to make up for last weeks debacle. For mine to do that we’d need to beat Freo, Pies at home and then Dees away, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we are 0-4. Anything but a 3-1 win loss ratio coming into round 5 will mean top four is extremely unlikely.

Sure Jarryd Lyons had a solid game but we just need more speed around the ball. Time to move on from him unless Neale and Dunkley go down.

Will take more than a win over Freo to make up for last weeks debacle. For mine to do that we’d need to beat Freo, Pies at home and then Dees away, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we are 0-4. Anything but a 3-1 win loss ratio coming into round 5 will mean top four is extremely unlikely.
Watch us win all of those games, while losing to North in gather round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who attended the CBA and won the center clearances on Friday night.
Lions won center clearances 15-11.

1710224297870.png
1710225154481.png

Who attended the CBA and won the center clearances on Friday night.
Lions won center clearances 15-11.

View attachment 1925989
View attachment 1926008
Pretty impressive effort from Zac Bailey, attended 4 bounces and won 2.

I must have had my head in my hands when Charlie attended the Centre bounce, do not remember it and our seats are on the southern wing right in line with the centre circle.

Is that way down for Lachie, 2 wins from 24 bounce attendances?

With Conor available my changes would be.

Outs- Keidean Coleman, Jarrod Berry, Jack Payne, Jarryd Lyons.

Ins- Conor McKenna, Dev Robertson, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill.

I expect the match committee to go Keidean out and Conor in and that's it.

Darcy to go back, Kai play more wing time.

Last edited:
With Conor available my changes would be.

Outs- Keidean Coleman, Jarrod Berry, Jack Payne, Jarryd Lyons.

Ins- Conor McKenna, Dev Robertson, Kai Lohmann... James Tunstill(sub).

I expect the match committee to go Keidean out and Conor in and that's it.

Darcy to go back, Kai play more wing time.

Playing 1 short is an interesting tactic

I must have had my head in my hands when Charlie attended the Centre bounce, do not remember it and our seats are on the southern wing right in line with the centre circle.

Those stats indicate Charlie (and Cal) both won centre clearances without attending the centre bounce. It is possible I suppose.

A little down on his 2023 averages.
Neale led the AFL in total clearances and was second behind Parish (3.56) on averages with minimum of 13 games played.

Neale 2023 Average center clearance wins 3.35 with 24.5 average attendances.

In round 1 Matt Rowell won 10 from his 25 CBA his average was 2.7 in 2023

Those stats indicate Charlie (and Cal) both won centre clearances without attending the centre bounce. It is possible I suppose.
Yes, wingers and anyone coming in immediately from either defense or forward can win a center clearance.
2023 center clearances from 3 downwards

1710230882490.png

Last edited:
In: Robertson, McKenna, Lohmann
Out: Coleman, JL, Gardiner/Payne

I'd like to see us go smaller up forward. Give Lohmann a full game and drop one of Payne or Gardiner.

Robertson in got JL gives us a LOT more flexibility - would play him primarily as a half forward who goes mid after centre bounce. Let Rayner take more centre bounces and give Bailey a few more too.

McKenna for Kiddy, put Bez back to the defensive wing and pop Ah Chee on the wing.

In: Robertson, McKenna, Lohmann
Out: Coleman, JL, Gardiner/Payne

I'd like to see us go smaller up forward. Give Lohmann a full game and drop one of Payne or Gardiner.

Robertson in got JL gives us a LOT more flexibility - would play him primarily as a half forward who goes mid after centre bounce. Let Rayner take more centre bounces and give Bailey a few more too.

McKenna for Kiddy, put Bez back to the defensive wing and pop Ah Chee on the wing.
Also like to see us go smaller in the forward line.

Might've made a difference on Friday.

Not sold on Kai but there's only one way to find out. We obviously rate him so give him a couple of games.

Just my personal view but I fail to see what Dizz brings to a forward line in a full throttle match if you're a top team.

But he's a solid reliable defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back