Competitions Round 1 Lineup vs Fremantle - CLOSING TONIGHT!! 9.00pm. GET YOUR FINAL TEAMS IN BY THEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you play CHF with atrocious lateral movement and poor defensive awareness? Redpath is a lead-out full forward who can at times play up the ground a little. I don't see how he holds down a position higher up the ground.
You may be right but I can see him at least worth a try as a mobile/hard leading CHF. I think being further from goal has a couple of advantages for JR; he'll find more space to lead hard into for uncontested marks (rather than the congested forward 50 contested pack marks he is no good at) and he is a much better field kick from outside 50 than shot for goal.

True he needs to work on his defensive awareness, but that is the case no matter where he plays. I also love the idea of him charging off the line at centre bounces and generally getting to impose himself physically through the midfield.

The 2015 JR would've been no good at all at CHF but he has done a lot of mobility and endurance work. I'd like to see him get a crack.

If there has ever be an ideal time to play Fremantle this year, it will be round 1!!
Just praying we don't lose anyone in these three NAB challenge games

Following today's NAB challenge we learnt a little. Roughead might struggle - in the ruck he was a clear third and as a forward was equally ineffective. Hrovat stood up and the new key defenders will need the time most of us expected.

MBoyd Roberts Morris
Murphy Hamling Wood

Minson Bonti Libba
Stevens Wallis JJ

Hunter Redpath Dalhaus
Dickson Boyd Stringer

Macrae Suckling Daniel Picken

Campbell probably outplayed Minson but may go with Wilburs experience now that the dinosaur is suspended. BTC put his hand up but Just can't see the need for a second ruck when we play Big Red and Toyd.

My Rolling best 22.

Wood, Roberts/Collins, Morris
Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
JJ, Bontempelli, Hunter
Daniel/McLean, Redpath, Dahlhaus
Dickson, Boyd, Stringer
Campbell, Liberatore, Wallis
Macrae, Picken, Stevens, Suckling

Emg: Biggs, Collins/Roberts, McLean/Daniel

Quick go after tonight's game:

FB: Morris Roberts Wood
HB: Murphy Hamling Boyd
C: Suckling Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Stevens Stringer Daniel
FF: Dahlhaus Redpath/Boyd Dickson

R: Campbell Liberatore Macrae

I: Picken Johannisen Wallis McLean/Biggs

Collins is closer than I thought and will be pushing hard but Roberts probably just a little bit more reliable at this stage; a few rookie errors from Collins cost us goals (not that they're anything to worry about - he looked very good). Campbell takes the #1 ruck position tentatively. I would only play one of Redpath/Boyd but I'm not sure who just yet - Redpath on 2015 form but Boyd can and will be better in my opinion, it's just a matter of when. Roughead finds himself on the outer for now; I believe he can be our best ruckman but he needs to show it on the field. The final two spots are a lottery between Daniel, McLean and Biggs.

If I'm going to be picky the side is probably a tad slow but we move the ball so quickly anyway that it's not a huge issue offensively; defensively it's a bit of a worry but we should go okay. We still really lack contested marking ability though and that's my biggest issue moving forward.

Last edited:
I'm glad people are catching on about stevens.

Was a best 22 lock before big leg injury. Still is and maybe even moreso.

Badly underrated on this board.

I thought that he had plantar fasciitis

I spoke to him at the end of the 2nd PA game about how it was nice that we were going well , but I'd love to see what he could add to the side and
mentioned how he frustrated me at the start of the last season.. but he got better with every game that he played

I have this pegged atm as my preferred team for round 1:

FB: Morris Collins Wood
HB: Murphy Hamling M. Boyd
C: Macrae Bontempelli Johannisen
HF: Dahlhaus Redpath Stevens
F: Dickson T. Boyd Stringer
R: Campbell Liberatore Wallis
Int: Hunter Picken Daniel Suckling
Em: Roberts Hrovat Roughead

Footscray: Minson, Dale, Adams, McLean, Webb, Biggs, Honeychurch, Jong, Adcock, Cordy, Dunkley

Suspended: Crameri

Firstly, fantastic depth. Any of the emergencies/Footscray players could step into the best 22 and fill a role. It's trite to say there will be heated competition for spots this year.

Overall, I think we may be lacking a little in pace, with the loss of Crameri. The fix might be even more midfield time for Johannisen.

I have Collins at FB because I think he's more physically capable than Roberts and will learn rapidly if given matches. I think Freo is a good opportunity to blood him, given Pav is their only true key forward. Give him first crack at the old fella and if he gets a bath early let him take their other key forward/resting ruck (e.g. Apeness) and send Morris to him.

If we go with only 1 of Boyd and Redpath up forward, I would swap one out for Dale or McLean, to add some versatility to the mix. However, I'm hoping, given 7/8 games at Etihad first up, we go with something a bit more traditional and have Stringer as our third tall. That should allow one of Stringer, Boyd, Redpath or Campbell to get a mismatch. We could really stretch Freo in particular and playing indoors for nearly two straight months will give our talls a chance to get their confidence up clunking marks in perfect conditions.

With the additions of Collins and Adams we can now possibly pick our key defenders based on form and match ups, a privilege we didn't have last year. Adams is an interesting one, as I see him as essentially competing for Morris' spot as defensive-minded medium/tall defender. His disposal probably keeps him out of the team for now, as playing both he and Morris would limit our attack from the back half.

I'd also like to see Murphy spend some more time on the wing and up forward, to fill some of Crameri's role (which, based on last night, it appears Suckling will also do). He has similar attributes, with a better boot, and having him deliver the ball to our forwards would be a pleasure.

Really looking forward to round 1!

Quick go after tonight's game:

FB: Morris Roberts Wood
HB: Murphy Hamling Boyd
C: Suckling Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Stevens Stringer Daniel
FF: Dahlhaus Redpath/Boyd Dickson

R: Campbell Liberatore Macrae

I: Picken Johannisen Wallis McLean/Biggs

Collins is closer than I thought and will be pushing hard but Roberts probably just a little bit more reliable at this stage; a few rookie errors from Collins cost us goals (not that they're anything to worry about - he looked very good). Campbell takes the #1 ruck position tentatively. I would only play one of Redpath/Boyd but I'm not sure who just yet - Redpath on 2015 form but Boyd can and will be better in my opinion, it's just a matter of when. Roughead finds himself on the outer for now; I believe he can be our best ruckman but he needs to show it on the field. The final two spots are a lottery between Daniel, McLean and Biggs.

If I'm going to be picky the side is probably a tad slow but we move the ball so quickly anyway that it's not a huge issue offensively; defensively it's a bit of a worry but we should go okay. We still really lack contested marking ability though and that's my biggest issue moving forward.

This looks pretty spot on to me Dannx10. I reckon McLean has gone past Biggs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This looks pretty spot on to me Dannx10. I reckon McLean has gone past Biggs though.
I genuinely can't split them! McLean is the more talented but Biggs maybe just a little bit more consistent at this stage. There are also quite a few smaller forward/mids in that side and think Biggs would balance it a bit better, particularly given that he can play a bit taller without being destroyed... Both will play a chunk of games regardless.

BEVOS DREAMTEAM. (Yes we are going small)

B- M.Boyd Morris Johannisen
HB- Murphy Wood Suckling
C- Macrae Wallis Hunter
HF- Stevens Stringer Daniel
F- Dahlhaus Dickson McLean

R- Jong
RR- Bontempelli
RO- Liberatore

I/C- Picken, Hrovat, Biggs, Adcock.

Emer- Dale, Webb, Honeychurch.

192 cm height restriction as Bevo believes that any taller than
that and the oxygen levels are compromised leading to poor
co-ordination and reduced brain function.

If there has ever be an ideal time to play Fremantle this year, it will be round 1!!
Just praying we don't lose anyone in these three NAB challenge games

'There has never been a more exciting time to be a Western Bulldog supporter' - M. Turnbull, 26 February 2016

Surely Rougheads still one of your best if not best key defender? He didnt have a good night forward last night. I also cant see with limited rotations how Campbell, Minson, Redpath and Boyd all play in the same side. Maybe Boyd isnt quite best 22?

I watched the game last night, but where did Stevens mainly lineup. Seemed to play every where really. Half forward, half back, wing and onball. I guess hes flexible like that.

Based on last nights game this is how im going.

B: R.Murphy - Roughead - Wood

HB: Suckling - Hamling/Roberts/Collins - M.Boyd

C: Macrae - Wallis - K.Stevens

HF: L.Hunter - Redpath - Dahlhaus

F: T.Dickson - T.Campbell - Stringer

RR: Minson - Liberatore - Bontempelli

Bench: Picken, Johannissen(sp),

2 of Hrovat, Honeychurch, Daniel (Who i really like), Mclean, Webb, Biggs (Probably leading the way with Daniel for me)

Ooops forgot Morris. Edit: and Jong. Fights for that last spot.

Probably pushed a Suckling to the bench. However id probably use him as a 2nd key defender with forward lines expected to be smaller. Wood very capable 3rd tall defender. Means Hamling/Collins/Roberts all miss. Or pick one and Suckling to the bench.

Surely Rougheads still one of your best if not best key defender?
Roughy is behind a few as a key defender - Roberts, Hamling and Morris for a start. Collins will get games this year too.

PS Wood is 185cm - he's good in the air for his size but not a "third defender" (which isn't a position anyway). Most of our midfielders are taller than him.

Roughy is behind a few as a key defender - Roberts, Hamling and Morris for a start. Collins will get games this year too.

PS Wood is 185cm - he's good in the air for his size but not a "third defender" (which isn't a position anyway). Most of our midfielders are taller than him.

Just from what ive seen and i must admit didnt get to watch alot of dogs games last year but Rougheads year i think it was 2 or 3 years ago as a key defender showed more promise then ive seen from Collins, Roberts, Hamling so far. Plus i think Hamling is a little undersized in mass to play on the big units.

Id like to see Roughead go against the 200cm forwards which are in every team now, hes ideal for it. Tippett, Buddy, Daniher, Casboult, Jenkins, T.Boyd, Patton, Vickery ect ect

I was going on the bases that forward lines wont be as big this year. Ie: Stringer likely to be your 3rd biggest forward behing 2 big guys one which will chop out for the ruckman. So IMO Wood could definitly do well on Stringer (I meant 3rd tall defender).

But yeh he probably plays 4th tall defender with the ability to rebound and intercept.

Only just caught the replay, but thought I'd throw in my rd 1 side after watching:

B: Morris-Roberts-Boyd

HB: Murphy-Hamling-Wood

C: Hunter-Bont-McCrae

HF: Dahl-Boyd-Wallis

F: Dickson-Stringer-Daniel

R: Minson-Stevens-Libba

INT: JJ-Suckling-Picken-McLean

EMG: Campbell-Rough-Collins-Redpath-Honey-Hrovat-Biggs-Cordy-Dunkley-Webb-Dale-Jong

Crameri hurts, he would slot nicely into that HF or pocket spot in forward line.
No idea what to do with the 3 ruckman & will be a horses for courses. Who's in form & best matchup. Hopefully they all get their chance to impress!
I'm tempted to include Rough at FB for flexiblity but I'd rather have a settled backline. He will need to play certain games for matchups
Don't think Redpath & Boyd can play in the same forward line.
We have real depth & there will be some unlucky players come rd 1!

Following today's NAB challenge we learnt a little. Roughead might struggle - in the ruck he was a clear third and as a forward was equally ineffective. Hrovat stood up and the new key defenders will need the time most of us expected.

MBoyd Roberts Morris
Murphy Hamling Wood

Minson Bonti Libba
Stevens Wallis JJ

Hunter Redpath Dalhaus
Dickson Boyd Stringer

Macrae Suckling Daniel Picken

Campbell probably outplayed Minson but may go with Wilburs experience now that the dinosaur is suspended. BTC put his hand up but Just can't see the need for a second ruck when we play Big Red and Toyd.

That's the 22 I like too. I really want the structure of the 2 KP forwards, but the thing is can BJR or BTB do the job? The other thing has been Said is will the set up suit the style we play? Who knows we have not been able to have that structure much if at all so far. I do want to see us stretch defences with height, so teams have to think twice about the best tall going to Jake the Snake.

I think Roberts and Hamling are the first choice defenders but we'll see how the season unfold as to what happens there.

That's the 22 I like too. I really want the structure of the 2 KP forwards, but the thing is can BJR or BTB do the job? The other thing has been Said is will the set up suit the style we play? Who knows we have not been able to have that structure much if at all so far. I do want to see us stretch defences with height, so teams have to think twice about the best tall going to Jake the Snake.

I think Roberts and Hamling are the first choice defenders but we'll see how the season unfold as to what happens there.
Share your concerns and worried about our speed generally. JJ and Bob are fast but looking at Hawthorn they are really trying to increase speed - Cyril, Hill, Smith, Hartung, Poppy and feel like I am missing a few. Our style last year was a bit chaos ball and that needs ground speed.

Share your concerns and worried about our speed generally. JJ and Bob are fast but looking at Hawthorn they are really trying to increase speed - Cyril, Hill, Smith, Hartung, Poppy and feel like I am missing a few. Our style last year was a bit chaos ball and that needs ground speed.
I think more important than player speed, is ball movement speed which we have in abundance. If we slingshot quickly out the back using our good ball users in players like Bob, Macrae, Suckling etc. we can really move the ball quickly out of half back and through the middle with linking handballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back