Competitions Round 1 Lineup vs Fremantle - CLOSING TONIGHT!! 9.00pm. GET YOUR FINAL TEAMS IN BY THEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: M Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Dahl, Stringer, Stevens
FF: Dickson, Redpath, Daniel
R: Campbell, Bont, Wallis
INT: JJ, Suckling, Picken, Roughead

Roberts and Hamling over Collins, Cordy and Adams at this stage.
Redpath gets first crack at FF, but I suspect Toyd will overtake him during the year.
Bevo to continue cycling players through the team, so Dale, McLean et al still get their 12-15 games.
Roughead to play as a general utility. 2nd ruck/2nd KPF/back up key defender (Morris and Hamling can both play small so we have a LOT of flexibility if things aren't going our way down back).

Yeah if hes not aiming for the number 1 ruck spot he needs to go back to defense imo. i loved him back there a while ago.

Obviously I dont follow the dogs players as closely as you guys would, but I remember maybe 2-3 years ago Roughie was looking a seriously good prospect playing as a lock-down KPD. Me and my mates would always discuss just how good he was going to be.

I dont know why he's not put back there for now, with rotations through the ruck. IMO I don't think he's that good up forward, just doesn't look the part. Looks a lot more natural down back.

I may very well be wrong, but that's just an outsiders perspective.

FB: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: M Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Dahl, Stringer, Stevens
FF: Dickson, Redpath, Daniel
R: Campbell, Bont, Wallis
INT: JJ, Suckling, Picken, Roughead

Roberts and Hamling over Collins, Cordy and Adams at this stage.
Redpath gets first crack at FF, but I suspect Toyd will overtake him during the year.
Bevo to continue cycling players through the team, so Dale, McLean et al still get their 12-15 games.
Roughead to play as a general utility. 2nd ruck/2nd KPF/back up key defender (Morris and Hamling can both play small so we have a LOT of flexibility if things aren't going our way down back).
This must be close to the mark, glad you've found a way to get both McLean and Daniel into the side.

Still not sold on Roughie based on pre-season form - suspect Boyd will get a gig as a ruck/forward, and the race for the no ruck spot seems pretty close between Minson & Campbell. If we go smaller (a possibility for run) I'd expect Biggs to come in for Roughy.

Oh I thinks it official now

J Roughead has replaced J Grant as the new whipping boy in 2016
Do we really need a whipping boy though? I can understand it in a mediocre team but this list is far from that. Roughlys struggling yes,but if he can get some confidence in his body and consistency in his game there is still a bit there. It's ok to knock here and there,although there is one bloke on here in particular who has no place supporting our club,I'm just not sure we need a whipping boy.

Obviously I dont follow the dogs players as closely as you guys would, but I remember maybe 2-3 years ago Roughie was looking a seriously good prospect playing as a lock-down KPD. Me and my mates would always discuss just how good he was going to be.

I dont know why he's not put back there for now, with rotations through the ruck. IMO I don't think he's that good up forward, just doesn't look the part. Looks a lot more natural down back.

I may very well be wrong, but that's just an outsiders perspective.

I think that the concern is that Roughy suited McCartney's man-on-man defense and played well against some of the very tall forwards and resting rucks in previous years. The Beveridge game plan, however, is very, very different and utilises a zone defense. Therefore tall, slow "lock-down" defenders are not really what we are looking for - in fact are a liability.

Roughy may get caught out of position too often as a defender as he just doesn't have any real leg speed to cover off quickly. He is suited to being a spare, floating defender, so if that role is fit into the zone, he will be ok. Other than that - he makes it as a ruckman, or not at all I think.

I don't think that Roughy is best 22 for us but he may well be a good player in a side that values 2 meter tall lock-down defenders.

IMO roughy wasnt suited to Maccas gameplan but much more to Bevs in defense. he was really really good in the first 8 rounds or so last year, which is often forgotten around here.

IMO roughy wasnt suited to Mackers gameplan but much more to Bevs in defense. he was really really good in the first 8 rounds or so last year, which is often forgotten around here.

I hope you are right about Roughy and I'm dead wrong - he is a quality bloke who has had a bad run with injuries and deserves a break. If he can play the role of key defender effectively in Bevo's plan I'll be surprised... but wrapt at the same time. You are right about his start to last season too doggies - he was pretty good in patches.

IMO roughy wasnt suited to Mackers gameplan but much more to Bevs in defense. he was really really good in the first 8 rounds or so last year, which is often forgotten around here.
Agreed. It was under Macca's structure that he was often caught out in 1 on 1's and proven to be too slow.

Do we really need a whipping boy though? I can understand it in a mediocre team but this list is far from that. Roughlys struggling yes,but if he can get some confidence in his body and consistency in his game there is still a bit there. It's ok to knock here and there,although there is one bloke on here in particular who has no place supporting our club,I'm just not sure we need a whipping boy.
Every club needs a whipping boy, even good teams have whipping boys.
The water cooler should be a buzz with conversations not only of the
stars, but also the whipping boys. The players association should have
a branch just for the whipping boys with Jack Watts as the president
and Mitch Robinson in charge of security.

On a side note- What is the bet for this year Fronk, Tom Boyd Versus
Sam Grimley head to head ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you are right about Roughy and I'm dead wrong - he is a quality bloke who has had a bad run with injuries and deserves a break. If he can play the role of key defender effectively in Bevo's plan I'll be surprised... but wrapt at the same time. You are right about his start to last season too doggies - he was pretty good in patches.
Ive got no idea on him anymore tbh. I think he either needs to get a crack at first ruck or FB. i really like some of the signs weve seen from him as a ruck, he just seems hopeless up forward at the moment though. really just want him to get an injury free run this year and show us he's capable somewhere on the pitch!

Agreed. It was under Macca's structure that he was often caught out in 1 on 1's and proven to be too slow.

Agreed...but it was also under Macca's game plan that Roughy played his best footy down back and was touted as the next big thing as a defender. He was over-rated as a defender then, as he is now. He was found out against leading forwards but sometimes played well floating across half back and when picking up lumbering talls as a lock-down type.

He's still potentially our best ruck - he has more upside than the others BUT he gets hurt a lot
I agree with this, I think he's the most balanced option on the list and our game style suits that type of ruckman. He's past the point of getting by through upside and attributes, though. Needs to stay on the field and start delivering. Fingers crossed he can meet the challenge.

Bev was pleased with Redpath and Boyd playing together. I wouldn't be surprised if we go in tall with Boyd Redpath Roughy and one of Campbell and Minson. From memory started tall last year too but it didn't last long, be interesting to see if it does this year (if it happens).

B: Morris - Collins - Boyd
HB: Wood - Hamling - Murphy
C: Johannisen - Bontempelli - Hunter
HF: Wallis - Redpath - Stringer
F: Dahlhaus - Boyd - Dickson
R: Campbell - Macrae - Liberatore

B: Stevens, Picken, Biggs/Daniel, Suckling

EMG: Roughead, McLean, Daniel/Biggs

That's my team atm, I really can't split Daniel/Biggs. I also think ruck and full back is up for grabs coming into the last nab, the rest I'm pretty sold on.

B: Morris - Adams - JJ
HB: Wood - Hamling - Murphy
C: Macrae - Bontempelli - Hunter
HF: Stevens - Redpath - Stringer
F: Dahlhaus - Boyd - Dickson
R: Minson - Macrae - Wallis

I: Libba, Picken, Suckling, Boyd

Apart from Adams, Tom Boyd and Minson I think the rest listed above are nearly definites to play.
Adams, Collins, Roberts all could be the second key back round one.
Campbell and Roughead could be the ruck, and if Tom Boyd doesn't play Roughead could be second ruck.
Daniel gets the nod for me but it could be Hrovat, McLean, Jong, Biggs could play but not necessarily in that position. I've probably forgotten some too. With such a healthy list it means players who probably deserve a game will be missing out.
Edit: I forgot Dahl!

Last edited:
Fb: Morris Roberts wood
Hb: boyd hamling murphy
C: macrae Wallis hunter
Hf: Dickson stringer dal
Ff: Daniel redpath Stevens
R: campbell bonti Libba
Ic: suckling Biggs picken jj

Redpath over Boyd.
Campbell over minson.
Daniel over Mclean, hrovat and dale.

Gone small, with only one legit key forward and one ruckman.

B: Boyd Adams Morris
HB: Wood Hamling Murphy
C: Johannissen Libba Suckling
HF: Dunkley Stringer Dahlhaus
FF: Daniel Boyd Dickson
Foll: Minson Wallis Bontempelli
Int: Macrae Picken Hrovat Jong

Dunkley is a lock. Kid's a gun. Adams likewise. Between him and Wood, how the hell are the opposition going to kick it into the forward line without it being marked ?? (A bit tongue in cheek ;))

Was really impressed with the kids today. Can't see Biggs being in our best side BUT concede he'll probably get his chance early.

Just give us the Cup now. So proud to support this club.

Last edited:
Jong, Hrovat and Daniel are fighting for 1 spot and on today's form Jong has both covered. Brings more than Daniel and Hrovat at present. Hrovat and Daniel both go missing at times and I am concerned about opposition players breaking Daniels tackles. I am not a big fan of Jong and his disposals still worry me but he was our best player. Looks like Campbell has the ruck position and Boyd and red can provide relief. The depth is just crazy.

Morris Hamling Boyd
Wood Adams Murphy
JJ Wallis Macrae
Dickson Redpath hunter
Stringer Boyd Dahl

Campbell Bont Liba
Sucking Steven Picken Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back