Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawes has played 101 games, 95% of the time as a key forward and has a career high 4 goals in a game and he has managed that twice.

I liked the role he played at Collingwood leading up the ground creating space behind him for Cloke, it worked well and it could of worked well for us with Clark but we'll never know now.

We now have Hogan who doesn't need anyone creating space for him, he'll create his own space, he'll be running up the ground doing his own thing. Dawes' style I see getting in the way of Hogan will do.

I have Hogan at CHF so that leaves someone coming out of the Goal square, and I know you're love for Watts, and I agree with you, he's a soft piece of s***, but apart from hardness and defensive game I see everything about his game better than Dawes, he can lead out of the square, put his hands out in front of him turn around and kick well for goal, and when the ball is on ground he's much better than what Dawes would be.

I just see if thats what we do then we can play a genuine back up ruck.

Dawes won't get in the way of Hogan. Cloke in 2010-11 was leading up the field and creating space and taking allot of marks. Its how he's got the record of contested marks in a year.

Dawes has played 101 games, 95% of the time as a key forward and has a career high 4 goals in a game and he has managed that twice.

I liked the role he played at Collingwood leading up the ground creating space behind him for Cloke, it worked well and it could of worked well for us with Clark but we'll never know now.

We now have Hogan who doesn't need anyone creating space for him, he'll create his own space, he'll be running up the ground doing his own thing. Dawes' style I see getting in the way of Hogan will do.

I have Hogan at CHF so that leaves someone coming out of the Goal square, and I know you're love for Watts, and I agree with you, he's a soft piece of s***, but apart from hardness and defensive game I see everything about his game better than Dawes, he can lead out of the square, put his hands out in front of him turn around and kick well for goal, and when the ball is on ground he's much better than what Dawes would be.

I just see if thats what we do then we can play a genuine back up ruck.

Watts is fine as a leading forward , he's smart and quick , he's just no good when he has to body up

No problem with him starting in the goal square so long as he leads out

Watts is fine as a leading forward , he's smart and quick , he's just no good when he has to body up

No problem with him starting in the goal square so long as he leads out
Thats it, I agree, I know he's crap one on one, Dawes isn't that great himself, I think the rest of what Watts does provides more.

Thats it, I agree, I know he's crap one on one, Dawes isn't that great himself, I think the rest of what Watts does provides more.

Dawes provides good pressure at ground level and is a leader, watts makes smart decisions and can set up goals

Going to get ridiculed here, but Dawes is not in my best 22, I'd rather play Hogan at CHF, Watts at FF, and have a 2nd ruck option playing deep in the froward line (Gawn or Fitzpatrick or even Pedersen)

HF. Garlett - Hogan - Kent

FF. Gawn - Watts - Kennedy-Harris

Dawes out round 1, I'd like to see us give this a try and hopefully Dawes has to force his way back in the side through the VFL.
Only thing worthy of ridicule there is JW at full forward. He has a role in the team, but it's certainly not in the spine, imho.

Only thing worthy of ridicule there is JW at full forward. He has a role in the team, but it's certainly not in the spine, imho.

I'd prefer to see him on the HFF. He can drift up the ground and is good delivering into the 50, and he can drop inside it every now and again to pop one through the big sticks.

He's crap anywhere else on the field

lol, don't entirely agree... See cannon's post for my preference as to his role.
He lacks the defensive side of his game to be playing further up the ground, I would just prefer him leading out having the ball delivered to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to you newsletter.

I very much hope so; I think he's a player, but I've been wrong before.

Some players take time to develop and perhaps longer then others, but I reckon Toumpas is going to click this year and cement his place in Melbourne's best 22. Injuries and poor form haven't helped so far, but he's had a great pre-season leading into 2015 and looks as fit as he's ever been.

Watts wasn't great, but he kicked the winner and you can't blame the whole teams slump on his entrance.

Jetta Dunn Garland
Salem T.McDonald Howe
Lumumba Cross Viney
Watts Hogan Pedersen
JKH Frost Garlett
Jamar Jones Tyson
Toumpas Grimes Kent
Vince (if fit)/Newton

Some players take time to develop and perhaps longer then others, but I reckon Toumpas is going to click this year and cement his place in Melbourne's best 22. Injuries and poor form haven't helped so far, but he's had a great pre-season leading into 2015 and looks as fit as he's ever been.
I think he needs 15-22 games to get comfortable and click. A few good games will surely see him get his draft year confidence back

*Not round one but our possible best 22

FB:
Jetta McDonald Dunn
HB: Garland Frost Salem
C: Vince Viney Lumumba
HF: Howe Dawes Brayshaw
FF: Garlett Hogan Watts
R: Jamar Jones Tyson
INT: Cross Newton
Grimes Toumpas

Unlucky: Kent, Gawn, Pederson, JKH

B. Jetta Dunn Garland
HB. Grimes McDonald Salem
C. Newton Tyson Lumumba
HF. Garlett Pederson JKH
F. Watts Hogan Kent
R. Jamar N. Jones Viney

Int. Cross Toumpas Brayshaw
Sub. Vince

Not sure who drops out if Howe gets up. Probably shorter than we'll go, Gawn will likely get a gig probably for Toump, Brayshaw or JKH.

Edit: yeah too short, Gawn for whoever doesn't impress against Bombers of the fringe guys.

Yes, I'm a harsh critic of Watts, but he's actually a very good lead.

I'm actually quite bullish about a defined role in the forward-line for Watts this year. He's finally put on a bit of bulk, which should give him more confidence.

B. Jetta Dunn Garland
HB. Lumumba McDonald Salem
C. Newton Tyson Cross
HF. Garlett Frost JKH
F. Watts Hogan Kent
R. Jamar N. Jones Viney

Int. Vince Toumpas Gawn
Sub. Brayshaw

Punt Frost for Pedersen and I reckon that is pretty much our round 1 side. Although maybe Grimes in the mix somewhere as well... Toumpas out maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back