Round 1 v Hawthorn MATCH THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

well I wasn't going to go, but now that there's a BBQ thing I think I'll turn up

We can collect the grease and try to sell it for debt demolition.

Or throw it at the Hawthorn cheersquad - either way.

Backs: J.Bennell, M.Warnock, J.Rivers
Half backs: J.Grimes, J.Frawley, J.MacDonald
Centreline: A. Davey, C.Bruce, N.Jones
Half forwards:J.McDonald, M.Bate, R.Petterd
Forwards: B.Green, B.Miller, J.Trengove
Followers: M. Jamar, L.Dunn, B.Moloney
I/C: J.Strauss, J.Spencer, J.McKenzie, T.Scully
Emg: A.Maric, R.Bail, C.Bartram

B: Birchall, Gibson, Murphy
HB: Guerra, Gibson, Ladson
C: Lewis, Mitchell, Ellis
HF: Osborne, Schoenmakers, Hooper
F: Morton, Roughead, Brown
FOLL: Renouf, Hodge, Moss
INT: Kayler-Thomson, Peterson, Shiels, Suckling

EMG: Duryea, Stratton, Williams

Discuss.

Forward line seems a bit top-heavy and slow IMO, but clearly the FD thought Maric's preseason was lacking.
Hang on, Gibson listed twice? Idiots.

One of the Gibson's must be a Gilham. But it is interesting that they didn't name a second ruckmen or a spare key position player to ruck (Lisle?). Schoenmakers or Roughead might have to do it.

I'm happy that Spencer and McKenzie are in.

Here's how I'd line up our guys:

FB: Bennell Warnock Frawley
HB: Bruce Rivers MacDonald
C: Green Grimes Trengove
HF: Jones Bate Dunn
FF: Petterd Miller Davey
Foll: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald
Int: Spencer, Strauss, McKenzie, Scully
Emer: Maric, Bail, Bartram

It looks like we will have to make a lot of rotations through the forward line with only the 3 recognised forwards (Miller, Bate, Petterd). We do have midfielders capable of playing forward though.

Hopefully everyone has a 100% crack at it knowing Sylvia and Garland should be in for round 2.

Did Dunn play a practice match?

Can't believe he was selected, and McKenzie named?

WTF?

Anyway that Hawks lineup looks awfully weak :thumbsu: . Then again we are the reigning wooden spooners :( .

Dunn definitely played one of the practice games, still a surprise though, seemed out of favour. Might be a horses for courses thing, I'm not sold he'll play in the midfield, might be wanted down forward.

I'm glad to see McKenzie in there personally, bit more grit in the engine room, rather than a Maric or Bail on the outside.

As long as we do better than the the Tiggies just did!

Im sure we'll do ALOT better, definately have a bit of quiet confidence (except to my Hawks supporting mate, where its not quiet at all :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: J.Bennell, M.Warnock, J.Rivers
HB: J.Grimes, J.Frawley, J.MacDonald
C: A. Davey, C.Bruce, N.Jones
HF:J.McDonald, M.Bate, R.Petterd
F: B.Green, B.Miller, J.Trengove
Foll: M. Jamar, L.Dunn, B.Moloney

Not a bad side all things considered... Here’s how I see it:

Hawks Backline:

B: Grant Birchall, Josh Gibson, Tom Murphy
HB: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Rick Ladson

On paper it’s actually a pretty solid back 6, but with Ladson potentially out and or having not played for 12 months and Gibson making his debut it will be interesting how they gel. It won’t matter; we are going to struggle all year to kick a winning score line. Jamar needs to spend a bit of time forward. I think that his height and strength it will stretch them and with another 5 goal game could prove the difference.

Hawks midfield:

C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Xavier Ellis
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Garry Moss

Not a 100% sure about Bruce, Moloney and Dunn starting on the ball. That’s a very slow midfield especially with Jones on a wing.

For mine the match will be won and loss in the ruck. Jamar should dominate Renouf but Spencer needs to play some big game time and at least hold his own. First use of the ball is going to go a long way to nullify Hodge and Mitchell. I think Dean will go negative from the first bounce; run Bruce with Mitchell and Dunn to go straight to Hodge. They have the potential to cut us to ribbons.

Hawks Forward line:

HF: Michael Osborne, Ryan Schoenmakers, Rhan Hooper
F: Jarryd Morton, Jarryd Roughead, Campbell Brown

It looks nowhere near as potent without Buddy and Rioli up there. I think Warnock will start on Roughie, Rivers to Schoenmakers and Chip to go to Campbell Brown. In their own right we shouldn’t have to much drama shutting those 6 down, however if the midfield gets a bath it’s irrelevant, we will haemorrhage goals.

B: J.Bennell, M.Warnock, J.Rivers
HB: J.Grimes, J.Frawley, J.MacDonald
C: A. Davey, C.Bruce, N.Jones
HF:J.McDonald, M.Bate, R.Petterd
F: B.Green, B.Miller, J.Trengove
Foll: M. Jamar, L.Dunn, B.Moloney

Not a bad side all things considered... Here’s how I see it:

Hawks Backline:

B: Grant Birchall, Josh Gibson, Tom Murphy
HB: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Rick Ladson

On paper it’s actually a pretty solid back 6, but with Ladson potentially out and or having not played for 12 months and Gibson making his debut it will be interesting how they gel. It won’t matter; we are going to struggle all year to kick a winning score line. Jamar needs to spend a bit of time forward. I think that his height and strength it will stretch them and with another 5 goal game could prove the difference.

Hawks midfield:

C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Xavier Ellis
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Garry Moss

Not a 100% sure about Bruce, Moloney and Dunn starting on the ball. That’s a very slow midfield especially with Jones on a wing.

For mine the match will be won and loss in the ruck. Jamar should dominate Renouf but Spencer needs to play some big game time and at least hold his own. First use of the ball is going to go a long way to nullify Hodge and Mitchell. I think Dean will go negative from the first bounce; run Bruce with Mitchell and Dunn to go straight to Hodge. They have the potential to cut us to ribbons.

Hawks Forward line:

HF: Michael Osborne, Ryan Schoenmakers, Rhan Hooper
F: Jarryd Morton, Jarryd Roughead, Campbell Brown

It looks nowhere near as potent without Buddy and Rioli up there. I think Warnock will start on Roughie, Rivers to Schoenmakers and Chip to go to Campbell Brown. In their own right we shouldn’t have to much drama shutting those 6 down, however if the midfield gets a bath it’s irrelevant, we will haemorrhage goals.

Good post, though i disagree that it will be won or lost in the ruck. Renouf will be better in the ruck than you are expecting, his only test will be how much fuel has he got in the tank in the last quarter. If we have a strong lead it won't matter, but if it's close, that's when we could see the Dees get the points.

Even though we are missing a handful of stars our line up is stronger than you think. Players like Moss, Suckling, Peterson and Kaylor Thomson don't have many games (if any at all) to their names, but they are all mature ages.

Another thing i've noted is the height and speed difference between the sides. Hawthorn have named only 6 players over 190cm whereas Melbourne have named 9. Could advantage either side?

These starting line ups obviously you take with a grain of salt but I'm happy with Miller at FF rather than at CHF if it eventuates. Hopefully all the kids can have a promising start.

Is everyone forgetting you have to kick goals to win matches? I cant see us kicking over 70 points. Our forward line is to weak.

Another thing i've noted is the height and speed difference between the sides. Hawthorn have named only 6 players over 190cm whereas Melbourne have named 9. Could advantage either side?

Not when you don't use it.

Jamar, Spencer ruckmen. Warnock, Frawley, Rivers. Key defenders.

Bruce. Doesn't really use his height. Relys on engine.

Bate. Good player but not a big reach or a big jump so 193cm is a bit wasted.

Miller. Don't think you are too worried about him.

Dunn. Could not take a contested or overhead mark to save himself. Wasted 193cm.

So 5 really. 6 at a stretch.

Is everyone forgetting you have to kick goals to win matches? I cant see us kicking over 70 points. Our forward line is to weak.

Not really.

Miller is good for a couple of goals.

Green, Bate, Petterd are all capable of 4+ goals.

Jamar resting down forward could also cause problems.

We don't know how much time players like Davey and Dunn could spend up forward.

It's not the greatest forward line but it is no where near as bad as you may think, let's not forget that Hawthorn don't have an intimidating backline either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 v Hawthorn MATCH THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back