Game Day Round 11 Carlton v Geelong Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Joseph was much better tonight. I doubt very much there were 4 or 5 goals from his mistakes. People tend to blame players for not doing the impossible or just for being in the area.
Min of 2 to 3 direct from AJ. Although the one on selwood was a B.S. call from the ump. He's just not in the best 22, our bottom 5 or 6 is the problem at the moment. Playing boots and watto and AJ show how little faith they have in JR, bower, Lucas etc.

A better effort by the Blues. 2 things:
  1. We won't win a game until we find a key forward. Henderson battled hard but it's clear is more comfortable down back. Hampson back to his fumbling best. :oops:
  2. Still getting burnt when they have the ball. Is it a fitness thing, or a lack of heart? Not enough willpower to chase and they stream down the field with a loose man.
Valiant attempt but the umpires kept us in it with free kicks in the forward 50 and those 2 50m penalties. Aside from Eddie, not enough goals from general play.

Why are people saying Watson did well!!! Where the hell was his intensity! NONE at all! Always lumbering to the ball, no fierce attack, just letting his player get the easy ball! Horrible IMO

Watched the match... lots of interesting cameos by some of the lesser lights. But on the whole, something is just missing from the team.

Watson - leave the kid in the side. He just keeps getting better
Bootsma - Read what I said about Watson...
Gibbs - had a good game. Saw him getting his head over the ball a bit more and took Stevie J right out of it
McLean - seems to have gained a metre or two of pace... I think playing at this level seems to be lifting him.

What I am constantly wondering... is when are throws legal in the game and when isnt chopping the arms paid as a free kick. Two goals to the cats came directly from throws... putting the fist near the ball and scooping it out of the pack is not a handball and Walker marked the ball about 25 out on an angle, but the cats player chopped his arm and so it wasnt given.

Hampson and Henderson just can't mark the ball. Don't want to be hard on Hendo though because he's not a forward as shown again tonight. He's been great at CHB and needs to stay there

New nickname for Collins.....'The Butcher' Just turns the ball over way to often !

Wrong about Henderson, he took some good marks - equal highest on our team with 6.

Why are people saying Watson did well!!! Where the hell was his intensity! NONE at all! Always lumbering to the ball, no fierce attack, just letting his player get the easy ball! Horrible IMO

Agree with most but 'horrible' might be a bit harsh...

BTW, didn't think Jammo was any good tonight...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our shots to goal killed us in the end. 2.9 last qtr not acceptable

blues need a tall strong marking forward. time to bring in luke mitchell

Yeah Joseph was much better tonight. I doubt very much there were 4 or 5 goals from his mistakes. People tend to blame players for not doing the impossible or just for being in the area.

AJ was decent. Couple of mistakes, but also had two ridiculous umpiring decisions go against him. That holding the ball call was silly, and the high tackle one that lead to a Selwood (from memory) goal was absolute rubbish. He did some really nice things though at times. I agree that people do tend to blame players simply for being in the area where the goal was kicked from though, which is often plain wrong.

I think now is the time to give Garlett a run in the 2nds.

Almost my favorite player last year but he just looks absolutely lost out there at the moment and he is a liability.

I guess our backman need to make names for themselves so they can chop arms and run players under the ball with impunity.
As for that free to Selwood, enough, enough, it is destroying football. It is terrible that I am beginning to hate someone who is meant to be a genuinely nice bloke.

Duigan showed glimpses of why I liked him last year. Collins did move well and Warnock also won me back.

A better effort by the Blues. 2 things:
  1. We won't win a game until we find a key forward. Henderson battled hard but it's clear is more comfortable down back. Hampson back to his fumbling best. :oops:
  2. Still getting burnt when they have the ball. Is it a fitness thing, or a lack of heart? Not enough willpower to chase and they stream down the field with a loose man.
Valiant attempt but the umpires kept us in it with free kicks in the forward 50 and those 2 50m penalties. Aside from Eddie, not enough goals from general play.

Yep, absolutely! I cant really remember anyone take a contested mark in the forward line followed by a goal. We need that forward that the top sides have, not just a ruckman improvising with a backmen making up the numbers.

Gibbs did a good job. My problem with his game tonight lies with the coaching. They preach high risk high reward and them play possibly our most damaging player as a lock down player.
11 disposals is not even 50% of what he should be getting.

Positive:
Warnock dominated the taps. He's clearly our best ruck it's not even close.

Biggest Negative for me the goal kicking. It's not right to say we played well when we kicked 11.19.
It's the most important, basic skill in footy that we are butchering.

At least we showed some sort of fight.

You should start a 'toast' thread...

He was a gun tonight...

Would love to start a Gibbs toast thread. I don't even go for Carlton, but I am so sick of him being the Carlton fan's whipping boy. He is a terrific player. The criticism leveled at him by some fans has been hyperbolic to say the least. He showed his class again tonight. Would still like to see him played further up the ground though.

Our structures after we kick a behind is disgusting. The amount of times the opposition goes coast to coast is a massive problem. I don't understand why we let a free opposition player get space unapposed all the way up the wing. Has cost us so many goals over the last month or so.

Happy with the intent we showed though. Finally a bit of hunger for the ball. Need to keep Watson, Collins and Bootsma in until the regulars get back. Reward the players that show some balls and give 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 11 Carlton v Geelong Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back