Game Day Round 11 Carlton v Geelong Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How any of us can be really disappointed tonight is beyond me. Sure losing is always disappointing and tbh I hate it more than most, but at least the effort was there tonight. Unfortunately we lacked too many classy players to get us over the line.

I would say the pros are:

- Intensity was much better
- Didn't give up when we fell behind (probably the first time this year in a loss)
- Bootsma and Watson played pretty well considering their age and experience
- Players from our leadership group that have been quiet for the past month stood up tonight
- Thought Duigan played his best game for the year so far

cons are:
- Goal kicking accuracy (to me the MOST frustrating one)
- Fitness seems to be low you could tell that we were trying to keep up the intensity of the first quarter but seemed to me that fitness prevented us from doing that
- Joseph isn't up to it. He had a few efforts that I thought were fantastic, but there were also poor efforts which evened those out IMO
- Thought Kreuzer went to ground a little too easily in a few marking contests
- Andrew Walker's heroics were costly on a few occasions
- Judd was quiet again by his standards

But we can't be too disheartened by the fact we lost considering we had Murphy, Carrazzo, Scotland, Laidler & Waite out along with Hendo and Yarran a bit underdone. The effort and intensity that's been missing for 6 weeks was back but unfortunately with those outs it made it a bit too difficult to pull out the win, we just needed a little more class with our disposals and experience.

But I do want to stress that injuries aren't an excuse and tonight proved that because with the effort we put in we were still in a position to win and had we kicked straighter we probably would have. All those that whinged about injuries being the reason for our poor efforts for the past month have egg on their face now.

Simpson - 8
McLean - 7
Walker - 6.5
Judd - 6.5
Robinson - 5.5
Armfield - 5.5
Duigan - 7
Collins - 6
Joseph - 4
Ellard - 6.5
Tuohy -7
Betts - 7.5
Garlett - 6
Jamison - 6
Gibbs - 8
Kruezer - 6
Henderson - 6
Watson - 6
Warnock - 6.5
Hampson - 4
Bootsma - 5
Yarran - 4

Really??? Watson, henderson, jamison, garlett, tuohy were all better?

How any of us can be really disappointed tonight is beyond me.

I think the reason people are disappointed is because if we hadn't of gotten ourselves in to this position through what appeared like lack of effort during the last few weeks, tonight's loss wouldn't have meant a great deal in the context of our season. In reality it is almost the nail in the coffin.

Yes, the intensity was much better tonight, but where was it against Port, Adelaide and St Kilda? It should be the standard. If it was we wouldn't be looking at being 10th on the ladder after this round.

If they bring the same effort for the rest of the year we may still snag a spot in the 8 and who knows what can happen if our list is healthier. So, I am not losing all hope just yet, but it is a very thin thread.

Much improved effort.. What I took from the game;

- Watson and Bootsma performed well enough against a good side.

- Warnock clearly showed he is our number 1 ruckman and he needs to replace the Hammer permanently, no more 3 ruckmen.

- Joseph is not an AFL standard defender

- If Yarran is not 100% don't play him as a sub

- Henderson needs to spend the rest of the year at CHF to get his marking confidence up when he is moving to the ball first.

you can look at all the positives you want....we are done for the year.

there is no chance we are going to feature in September.

Kreuzer did not take 1 contested mark tonight, gets pushed under every time. Hampson is shocking. Garlett is the most out of form player at our club and Judd is a broken man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warnock cant string 2 games together without hurting himself. In fact Hammer is the only one of the three to play every game, has kicked more goals and taken more marks than both other ruckmen combined for the year. Lets drop him back to the twos.

hammer impresses when the game is well and truly over..but when the pressure is on, he buckles!! every tap out of his is to the oppositions advantage...lol someone earlier on said that hammer needs 3 to 4 more years to come good lmaooo so im guessing when he hits 30 the bloke will start getting consistency into his game!! lol what rubble!! if the tigers get up tommorrow..we will be out of the 8...tsk tsk!!

Kreuzer did not take 1 contested mark tonight, gets pushed under every time. Hampson is shocking. Garlett is the most out of form player at our club and Judd is a broken man.

Go hide behind the couch champ.

Bad luck tonight. Thought the umpiring was horrible all night. The free kick that Selwood got at the start of the last quarter was completely wrong. I know that is only one decision but I thought that really gave the cats some breathing space and Carlton never really got close after that. I would be pretty happy with some of the performances of your guys. I thought Gibbs did a good job on Johnson and Watson looks like a KPP in the making.

Bullshit, he took 1 great one in the 2nd quarter right in front and went back and embarrassed himself, missed by a country mile!!!:mad:

hammer impresses when the game is well and truly over..but when the pressure is on, he buckles!! every tap out of his is to the oppositions advantage...lol someone earlier on said that hammer needs 3 to 4 more years to come good lmaooo so im guessing when he hits 30 the bloke will start getting consistency into his game!! lol what rubble!! if the tigers get up tommorrow..we will be out of the 8...tsk tsk!!

Cause its hammers fault we kicked 2.9 in the last quarter while he was in the ruck. That is why we lost right? Or was it the 3 frees directly in front of geelongs goal that we gave away in the first half? I never can remember these things.

Bad luck tonight. Thought the umpiring was horrible all night. The free kick that Selwood got at the start of the last quarter was completely wrong. I know that is only one decision but I thought that really gave the cats some breathing space and Carlton never really got close after that. I would be pretty happy with some of the performances of your guys. I thought Gibbs did a good job on Johnson and Watson looks like a KPP in the making.

Cause its hammers fault we kicked 2.9 in the last quarter while he was in the ruck. That is why we lost right? Or was it the 3 frees directly in front of geelongs goal that we gave away in the first half? I never can remember these things.

did i say we lost because of hammer???! read my message properly..just stated that he crumbles under pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 11 Carlton v Geelong Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back