Round 13: Geelong vs Essendon

• Thread starter ScouseCat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
I dunno. Street is the most dynamic small midfielder on our list. Makes Spriggs look slow, and has foot skills that Gary Ablett Snr. would be envious of.

Little Street would be leading our B&F right now and will carve Hird up in the midfield.

You are coming up against the best fullback in the league this week. It certainly isn't going to be easy for Lloyd.
hird is a champion, his experience will show --> the only q really is whether he is match-fit and ready to play good footy again. Street will be no pushover but there is no doubting if hird is on song we will probably win.
to say hird will be 'carved up' is a big statement to make.. we'll see.
Lloyd plays his best at CHF imo, sheeds will play Jacobs/Cupido at FF and let lloyd push up the ground.

You are coming up against the best fullback in the league this week. It certainly isn't going to be easy for Lloyd.

umm - no, we have the best fullback in the league ;)

Originally posted by Keldar
This thread is getting very entertaining...

Just wait til the game itself, live on Friday Night Football. :)

FWIW, Jen and I will have the VCR running on Friday night taping the game, because we're making the trip from Ballarat to see the game, and be a part of the event. :D

Originally posted by Catman
Yeah, but yours are nothing but pure rubbish.

You got TD banned, didn't you, you whingeing baby.
No I didn't get him banned.
Maybe you could ask the mods yourself.

Originally posted by Keldar
This thread is getting very entertaining...

It sure is Keldar...

It's like we've all turned into Kevin Sheedy's and we're just saying anything when it comes to match-ups to give them a taste of their own medicine. Mind you, we may as well do that when we're playing against the Bombers, as they're likely to play their players anywhere.

Looking forward to the game this week after the week off and two insipid performances by the Bombers the two weeks prior to that.

Here's my view on what I think are the Key match up's

FLETCHER VS KINGSLEY
Kingsley was a major player in the cats victory over the Bombers last year with 6 goals against Mark Bolton. However the Dons will be happier with the match up this week with Fletcher available this time round. If Kingsley gets some early goals it could do a great deal in settings the cats on their way to victory as Fletcher wont have as much confidence to run off him and create some rebound for the Dons.

HILLE VS KING
This match up is obviously in favour of the cats with King being one of if not the premier ruckman in the comp, however Hille has shown some steady improvement over the 2003 season and has actually produced his best form when matched against the leagues elite. He has received best on ground votes in the paper in two games this season when facing Darcy & Gardiner, although this was mainly for his work around the ground so he must create a contest at the bounce for the Dons.

LLOYD VS SCARLETT
The best key forward against the most inform full back in the land should make for great viewing. Scarlett got the better of LLoyd in their last meeting after some uncharacteristic early misses by the star full forward. After an early season break due to injury Llyod has returned to produce some consistent quality football, scoring 6,5 & 5 in his past three matches. Scarlett will need to be at the top of his game to contain him if the supply from the midfield is regular.

J.JOHNSON VS LING
Not sure that these two will match up but would be a good contest. Ling has been in tremendous form (from what iv'e read)consistantly producing for the Geelong engine room with his strong work ethic. J.Johnson has similar hard hitting, hard running style of game and when he is winning the football the Bombers are usually in a good position. Johnson has produced some wonderful performances this season but he can be tagged out of game by a good close checker which is what Ling is but the cats may want to use him in a more attacking role.

See you at the footy

GO BOMBERS!!!!!

Team news for Wednesday, 25 June....

King back in training, no problem with Achilles

http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=100685

Skipper back on track
Scott Morton
Geelong Advertiser
7:08:07 AM
Tue 24 June, 2003

Geelong skipper Steven King has made it back on to the training track after the weekend bye and his coach Mark Thompson says he's ready to see out the season.

Plagued by an achilles injury and absent from many training sessions in the first half of the season Thompson said the rest and his rehabilitation would help King in the second half of the season.

``Kingy's going to resume training now a lot more,'' Thompson said ahead of the Cats first training session since the bye last night.

``The rest and what we've done up to the bye is going to get him through and help him train and help him play better hopefully,''

King has been sleeping with a specially made cast on his troubled achilles in a desperate bid to stop the injury prematurely ending his season.

It was close to a full list that trained last night, with just a handful of players missing due to tertiary exams including Joel Corey, David Clarke and Henry Playfair.

Thompson said the break had been ``fantastic''for the players and that the task now was to make sure they were switched on for Friday night's match against Essendon.

In the back of Thompson's mind is last year's 50-point loss to Essendon to open the 2002 season.

After that match Thompson said Essendon caught Geelong off guard with its attack on the ball, but he said the Cats wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

``We're going to expect it this time,'' he said.

``We've already been talking about it. We had a big chat and the feel is good.

``We just have to be ready and alert for the game. The break was good because it rests the body.

``We had a lot of guys hurting with general soreness and they'll get over that but we just have to get their mind back on the track.''

Relevant info from The Age's "Your Club" page:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/24/1056449241817.html

ESSENDON v Geelong,
Friday, 7.40pm,
Telstra Dome
Veteran forward Paul Barnard is set to play his 150th club game against Geelong on Friday night. "Paul has been a great servant of the Essendon Football Club since coming across from Hawthorn," spokesman Simon Mat-thews said.
Training: today, 3pm, Windy Hill.

GEELONG v Essendon,
Friday, 7.40pm,
Telstra Dome
Cats wingman Josh Hunt will probably play in the VFL this weekend after recovering from shin problems. But football operations manager Garry Davidson said a lingering knee injury would keep young key-position player Daniel Foster off the field for at least another three weeks.
Training: tomorrow, 3.45pm, Skilled Stadium.

Apart from the King news, nothing really earth-shattering.

Comments/discussion?

Fantastic post and analysis, Rednugget.

I'll offer up my rebuttals...

Originally posted by rednugget
Here's my view on what I think are the Key match up's

FLETCHER VS KINGSLEY
Kingsley was a major player in the cats victory over the Bombers last year with 6 goals against Mark Bolton. However the Dons will be happier with the match up this week with Fletcher available this time round. If Kingsley gets some early goals it could do a great deal in settings the cats on their way to victory as Fletcher wont have as much confidence to run off him and create some rebound for the Dons.

Edge to Kingsley.

Nine goals over his last two matches shows that he's back on form, and if he gets help from other forwards-- such as McCarthy, an in-form Aaron Lord or even Steve Johnson-- in terms to taking marks on the lead and kicking goals, Kingsley will be even more effective.

HILLE VS KING
This match up is obviously in favour of the cats with King being one of if not the premier ruckman in the comp, however Hille has shown some steady improvement over the 2003 season and has actually produced his best form when matched against the leagues elite. He has received best on ground votes in the paper in two games this season when facing Darcy & Gardiner, although this was mainly for his work around the ground so he must create a contest at the bounce for the Dons.

Big edge to King.

The best ruckman in the competition, IMO, and I think his vast edge in experience will shine through on Friday night.

Don't get me wrong, though-- I was impressed by what Hille was able to do for spots of play against North Melbourne, and I think Sheedy, in due time, will have solved Essendon's ruck problem.

But the key to that matchup will come down to the other on-ballers. If Geelong's can get control of the ball and deliver it into the forward line as quickly as possible, and in a consistent manner, it could be a long day for Essendon's defenders.

LLOYD VS SCARLETT
The best key forward against the most inform full back in the land should make for great viewing. Scarlett got the better of LLoyd in their last meeting after some uncharacteristic early misses by the star full forward. After an early season break due to injury Llyod has returned to produce some consistent quality football, scoring 6,5 & 5 in his past three matches. Scarlett will need to be at the top of his game to contain him if the supply from the midfield is regular.

Lloyd has done very well in recent weeks, as you mention, but there aren't many fullbacks who are in better form than Matthew Scarlett at the moment.

Scarlett should be able to contain Lloyd much better than a lot of other fullbacks have, maybe limit him to as much as three or four goals.

Originally posted by DonFan
You're living up to your username you idiot. Why bother turning up? Geelong players are so much better than Essendon players it's already in the bag.:eek:

Remember how easy of a win last year's Round 16 game was, in terms of Geelong's dominance of Essendon? I'm not saying that it will be a carbon copy, nor am I guaranteeing that any or all of the above will happen.

I'm sure that there will be contests where Essendon players will give us a bit of a struggle or challenge. ;)

In all seriousness, while I can't say that I'd fear too many of the Bomber players right now, I'd think that James Hird-- now that he's back and presumably ready to fire-- could wind up having a big game, if he starts well against Jarrod Rooke. But then again, Rooke has also played remarkably well this season.

Should be a great game on Friday night, just as several of the Friday-nighters have been lately. Can't wait...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest injury/availability report for the Bombers, from the front page of http://bombersfc.com.au...

last updated 10:01 AM Tuesday June 24th
Danny Jacobs - corkie - available
Aaron Henneman - groin - available
James Hird - calf - available
Simon O'Keefe - groin - available
Ben Haynes - shoulder - available
Adrian Wilson - hamstring - available
Dean Rioli - suspension - three weeks

And aside from Cam Mooney being out for the next fortnight via the tribunal, Geelong have no missing players to report.

Originally posted by DonFan
You're living up to your username you idiot. Why bother turning up? Geelong players are so much better than Essendon players it's already in the bag.:eek:
Donfan,

At least Essendon have come down to earth. They were the victims of "Big Head Syndrome".

Geelong will be competitive, there's no doubt of that. I don't know if Essendon will take Geelong lightly or not. I am siding with you this time DF.

Becareful on what you call Will. He is a highly respected friend of mine.

Originally posted by goaldrush
Be careful on what you call Will. He is a highly respected friend of mine.

It's cool, Suz. I can take it and dish it out just as well. Why do you think the "you_idiot" username is mine to begin with? Because it's a cool double-enténdré. :D

As for points of further discussion, I had a thought this morning (yeah, just the one)... How many goals did Matthew Lloyd kick against Geelong in the two games between the teams last year? With Round 1 2002 being a Essendon win and Round 16 being a Geelong win, I think it might be interesting to look this up and make a comparison, and hopefully there will be something in that (especially insomuch as the matchup of Lloyd against Scarlett is concerned).

Josh Hunt is currently out injured.

There was talk of him playing this week, but that is from the same club who blatantly lie about his injury.

Fair enough, but he's missed the last couple of games in the 2's due to injury, IIRC as well.

I wasn't counting Hunt in that assessment if mine-- but as long as you're bringing him up, I hope he gets a game soon so that we can see what he can do.

I'd like to see him as a long-range replacement for Sanderson myself.

Originally posted by you_idiot
As for points of further discussion, I had a thought this morning (yeah, just the one)... How many goals did Matthew Lloyd kick against Geelong in the two games between the teams last year? With Round 1 2002 being a Essendon win and Round 16 being a Geelong win, I think it might be interesting to look this up and make a comparison, and hopefully there will be something in that (especially insomuch as the matchup of Lloyd against Scarlett is concerned).

OK, found something on this... and not on afl.com.au nor on the Essendon official website, but rather in "Challenging Times", James Hird's own account of his trials and tribulations of the 2002 season. It's a fantastic read for all footy fans, by the way, and I highly recommend it.

OK, now to the point of my query...

ROUND 1, 2002 -- At the MCG
Code:
[color=red]Essendon[/b]     4.5... 11.9... 17.12... [b]18.18 (126)[/color]
[color=darkblue]Geelong         [/b]2.0... 7.2... 8.6... [b]11.10 (76)[/b][/color]

Leading goal-kickers -- Essendon:  Lloyd 6; Geelong:  Kingsley 4.

ROUND 16, 2002 -- At Docklands
Code:
[color=darkblue]Geelong         [/b]4.3... 8.5... 11.7... [b]14.11 (95)[/color]
[color=red]|Essendon              [/b]2.2... 4.2... 7.4... [b]8.8 (56)[/b][/color]

Leading goal-kickers --  Geelong:  Kingsley 6; Essendon Caracella 3.

Should be duly noted that in the second game between these two teams last season, Matthew Lloyd kicked zero goals. And yes, he did play in the game-- in fact, both he and Hird were back in the Bombers' squad for the third game on the trot (this from Page 163 of Hird's book).

Sounds like a definite cause-and-effect to me... contain Matthew Lloyd, and the Bombers can be beaten.

News round-up for Thursday, 26 June 2003:

Street a chance against Bombers (Geelong Advertiser):

http://www.geelonginfo.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=7666

STREET LIGHT

Thursday, June 26
FIONA WELSH

GEELONG is on the verge of throwing out of favour ruckman Peter Street a lifeline.

Street is a strong chance of being named for tomorrow night's clash with Essendon as a replacement for suspended forward Cam Mooney.

Coach Mark Thompson said he saw Street play his best game two rounds ago in the VFL.

``He's coming into the form we had hoped for,'' Thompson said.

Promotion to senior ranks would be a timely reprieve for the big Tasmanian.

After a pre-season game this year, Thompson questioned his long-term future at the club, saying he wondered if Street would make it in the AFL.

Street would add height to a forward line that will be without Mooney who was suspended for two games.

The third tallest player in the AFL at 208 centimetres behind Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands (211cm) and Matthew Burton (210cm) from the Kangaroos, Street has played nine games for the Cats in five years.

Geelong is expected to make two changes to the side which lost to Fremantle by 16 points, with forward Charlie Gardiner, and on-ballers Steve Johnson, James Bartel and David Clarke also in contention.

Thompson said it had been a tough year for Clarke, who had achilles problems pre-season, and had struggled with form.

``Our best form has been recent so we have to use that confidence going into Friday night against Essendon,'' Thompson said of the Cats who have just three wins on the board.

``The last five or six weeks we haven't had any complaints about the commitment, just a bit of lack of experience in pressure situations has cost us.''

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy was giving nothing away yesterday about how he would use captain James Hird and the club's much-heralded apprentice tomorrow night.

But he was very clear on one matter - he will put no great expectations or pressure on Hird and debutant Jobe Watson.

Hird will return from five weeks off with a calf muscle injury.

Watson is the son of three-time Bombers premiership player Tim Watson, one of the club's most revered figures, and there is plenty of hype about his first AFL game.

Sheedy said he had not deliberately picked Watson for this match, which Essendon must win to keep its inconsistent season alive.

``He would have been in early, probably - we played him in the Wizard Cup,'' Sheedy said.

``Unfortunately, he's been injured for probably seven weeks.''

Thompson was mindful of the effect Watson's debut and Hird's return would have on the Bombers, but said the Cats had more important matters to worry about.

The former Essendon captain recalled Watson as ``a quiet 10-year-old at dad's (Tim's) side''.

``I didn't see him for the next eight seasons until he bobbed up as a little replica of his dad,'' Thompson said.

Watson's debut will put him on the same field as another son of an AFL great, in-form Geelong midfielder Gary Ablett.

Sheedy remembered a pre-season game against the Cats this year when Ablett had shown his brilliance and described him as a budding ``superstar''.

``The kid's been sensational . . . he's done everything you'd ever want him to do.''

Thompson yesterday reiterated Geelong's desire to secure Ablett's brother, Nathan.

``We'd be silly not to want him, really silly if we didn't invite him to have a look at the club and ask him to play for us,'' Thompson said.

``In the end it's a long way off,'' he said of the 17-year-old who was playing under 18s at Modewarre Football Club.

Jobe Watson to hold his nerve (Herald-Sun):

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,6655096%5E20322,00.html

Watson to hold his nerve
26 June 2003 Herald Sun
By GEOFF POULTER

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy expects Jobe Watson to be calm and relaxed despite the publicity surrounding his debut against the Cats tomorrow night.

"He is a pretty laconic sort of guy," Sheedy said of the 18-year-old son of Dons legend Tim Watson.

"The press will build it up. He'll probably have a little bit of nervousness and tension.

"For the first few minutes he will probably be a bit nervous. But after that, a couple of whacks and few biffs and someone falling on you every now and then, and you wake up in the land of reality, it's AFL football.

"It's a bit quicker and they are a bit bigger and it is life after 18, isn't it?

"I expect him to be a good footballer."

Sheedy intends to play Watson in bursts from the bench.

Essendon will at last regain captain James Hird (calf) for the clash.

"We might use him and Watson off the bench, that might happen," Sheedy said.

Sheedy could play younger Watson on Ablett Jr. (The Age):

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/25/1056449302472.html

Sheedy looks to Ablett as he unveils a gun's son

By Len Johnson, Kenneth Nguyen
June 26 2003

Kevin Sheedy, who once decided to play Tim Watson on Gary Ablett to let two of the game's best go against each other, yesterday said he hoped Jobe Watson could make the same sort of start in the AFL as Gary Ablett jnr had with Geelong.

As luck would have it, Jobe Watson's debut falls to an Essendon-Geelong game and at a time when son-of-Ablett is a shining light in a dim season for the Cats.

Sheedy predicted Ablett jnr would be "a superstar". "I think Gary Ablett's a better player at the moment," Sheedy said. "The kid's been sensational. How he's never won a Rising Star nomination has got me flabbergasted."

Watson's introduction into the Essendon line-up would be a boost for Bomber supporters, Sheedy said, and it would be even better if he could perform close to Ablett's level.

"If Jobe can play anywhere near a top young kid (like that), it'll be great for our club, because that's what we need to do."

Sheedy said his only expectation for Watson was "to be a good footballer".

"I expect him to just play the way he normally does," Sheedy said. "That's why he's been recruited to the club. He's got a good feel for the game."

Watson would soon find out what it was all about, Sheedy predicted. "His first few minutes he'll probably be a bit nervous, but after that, a couple of whacks, a few biffs and somebody falling on you, you wake up to the land of reality," Sheedy said. "It's AFL football. They're a bit bigger, a bit quicker and it's life after 18."

James Hird will also return to the Essendon team for the first time since injuring a calf in round seven against Richmond. The captain trained well in an impressive session at Windy Hill.

Geelong is trying to add another Ablett to its senior list, but coach Mark Thompson said the club's attempts to woo Gary Ablett jnr's brother Nathan should not overshadow tomorrow's clash with the Bombers.

Nathan Ablett is playing with Modewarre's under-18 team in the Bellarine league. "We'd be silly not to want him and we'd look really silly if we didn't invite him to come in and have a look at the club and ask him to play for us," Thompson said. "But in the end, it's a long way off and there's a game of footy this week that is probably more important than Nathan."

Among those being considered by the Cats is 208-centimetre ruckman Peter Street, who has yet to play a senior game this year.

Interesting stuff, leading up to the announcements of the teams later tonight...

Should be duly noted that in the second game between these two teams last season, Matthew Lloyd kicked zero goals. And yes, he did play in the game

Lloyd has only been held goaless one time in his last 120 odd matches (qualifying final against West Coast last year when he was knocked out in first 10 minutes) he kicked 2 goals from memory against the cats 2nd time round last season.

I have a memory from the second game last season that Lloyd kicked a goal from a very, very, VERY dodgy so-called 'mark' or free kick in the first quarter.

So he at least kicked one, unless you marked it next to the umpire.

Originally posted by GFC MAD!
I have a memory from the second game last season that Lloyd kicked a goal from a very, very, VERY dodgy so-called 'mark' or free kick in the first quarter.

So he at least kicked one, unless you marked it next to the umpire.

I think Lloyd kicked 2.3 in the round 16 game last season. Scarlett did a great job keeping the champion goalkicker quiet last time around, our midfield also helping by putting pressure on their Essendon opponents so the delivery wasn't as good to Lloyd.

Should be duly noted that in the second game between these two teams last season, Matthew Lloyd kicked zero goals. And yes, he did play in the game-- in fact, both he and Hird were back in the Bombers' squad for the third game on the trot (this from Page 163 of Hird's book).

Sounds like a definite cause-and-effect to me... contain Matthew Lloyd, and the Bombers can be beaten.

Kicked 2 goals actually remembering that he didn't exactly set the world on fire after coming back from his hand injury.

But looking forward to tomorrow night,should be a great match (Essendon win of course;)). Especially looking forward to Jobe get a run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 13: Geelong vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back