Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The positive was that Dekoning was able to work his way into the game so some exposure there over a couple of weeks could really help his confidence no matter where he ends up playing.

People have been saying he's become timid because of his horrific face injury last year. If so, his goal last week is a good sign. Took a solid knee to the back of the head, but just calmly went back and slotted the goal.

Mannagh went into the guts in the last quarter, but it may be debatable as too the results - there looked some good & some not so good

His first involvment after going into the middle was a clearance where he kicked straight into an opponent 😂

But that switch did look to spark something in him - wouldn't be surprised if we saw him in the midfield rotation a bit more this round

Scott said something interesting in his press conference when asked about Humphries, and I wonder if it potentially relates to the Mannagh situation also:

"So I guess the learning curve for every young player is coming into a team that they've never played in before and getting a feel for his teammates.

I don't think he'll have, I'm sure he won't have any trouble with our system structurally. He's led that as well as anyone at VFL level."

---

We know Mannagh played the first couple of matches in the seniors before a return to the VFL - but maybe there's been some teething issues with how he fits into our system, with adjustment needed from both parties as to how we utilise him

Can only hope that while he hasn't had the senior opportunities that some would have liked to see him have, that there's been an open line of discussion regarding the situation
That clearance too wasn't on him outworking his man or anything either. Toby drew Shaun's man to the contest then gave him the clearing handball into space. Mannagh, having pace, was able to use the space to bolt straight into having his kick smothered.

Then he kicked a goal that was just good small forward positioning with the hard work done by Neale's follow up work at ground level, which was a real highlight of the quarter. Neale's ground level work for a 2m task bloke was outstanding.

The next one I saw he got a clean tap and belted the ball straight at goal. Felt it was a long way out to have a ping but will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was trying to centre it.

Then the last time I saw him it was a really good passage in the back pocket. He recieved an uncontested possession, had a run, sidestepped a player, then launched an effective kick across chb. Was a really good involvement but one that I would call more of wing/chb role.

Like I said I'm happy for him to come in for close if young Bradley stinks it up again. But I didn't really see that much in his midfield work. Plenty to work with as a small forward running through the wing though.

Since our last meeting. We're definitely worse this time around. Would say the Bombers are better.

GEELONG OUTS: Hawkins, Smith, Bruhn, Stanley, O. Henry, Mullin
GEELONG INS: Humphries, Tuohy, Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Knevitt

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Hobbs, Snelling, Menzie, Weideman
ESSENDON INS: Jones, Duursma, McKay, Goldstein, Draper, Gresham, Cox

I think the names many of the outs aren't contributing to the level they were when we played last and aren't as a big as a loss as they would have been.

Game day

Go catters

Hes not going to speak until end of season (no one sensible would) but the lack of any positive interaction between him and teammates plus some of the coaches stuff (him and lappin after he kicked the goal in q4 on the weekend was interesting) stands out. It suggests issues behind the scenes (him not being picked suggests a bit but that suggests more also).

Historically the club culture appears to has been to be ‘cold’ to players who are disgruntled (not saying that Shaun is). Although lots here will disagree I thought club was absolutely brutal with Mark Blake stuck on 99 games, notwithstanding we had Mummy etc at time. Forward pocket in VFL can be a frustrating position, particularly with Cats average delivery - hope that naming Mannagh at half back is recognition they could get his skills better utilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back