Review Round 13 - St. Kilda @ Marvel Stadium - 8th June 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching live last night the one thing you’re missing greatly is a hugh mcclugage type. Someone who can play inside/outside but with great disposal skills and decision making. Too much blue collar winning the ball and hacking out from Rowell and Miller. Would be much better if they had someone to feed it out to.

A few points.

1. Our mid group is good but not that good. Well beaten in the first half on contested ball, clearances, and inside 50's. Not enough touches when that touch will send you forward. Have to be better b/c, you know, they should be better than that. Of coure, nothing we have not seen before.
2. Our pressure forwards, apart from Longy, did not pressure enough. Too easy too often for them to move the ball forwards. Big questions on Holman full stop.
3. Our defensive group is getting better. They were under the pump but held up well. Two dodgy frees in front for 2 goals, every thing else was made hard for them. Uwland being good makes a big difference. Swap a better defender who can also kick for Secco or Flanders and they are better again.
4. Young/inexperienced players go missing, it is what it is. Graham was good, but Humper, Walter and Clohesy were way too quiet, and Moyle well beaten in 1st half. Humper looks like the classic 2nd year player, trying to do too much and therefore not getting anything done.
5. Going young when we are trying to make finals is a big risk (as shown in this game), but Dimma is going young anyway. Eyes on the prize, eyes on the prize, which is challenging for top 4. The young player replacements are not taking us to top 4 next year or the year after, so keep giving the youngsters a game. Give Walter a spell in the VFL, but get him back him asap. Eyes on the prize.
6. Fiorini? open a butcher shop mate. The type of limited player who has to make good decisions and hit targets to be useful, and he aint' do either at the minute. Started the year well, not sure where that went.

Looking at the ruck stats is a point of interest for mine. We won the hitouts 34-25 (Moyle 32, Marshall 24) but lost the clearances 35-25. Marshall won 7 clearances himself and overall outperformed the inexperienced Moyle. I know people want Moyle to provide genuine ruck depth for us, but I don't think he's quite there against the better rucks in the league.

He's had decent games against 2nd & 3rd string rucks from Geelong & Essendon, but his inexperience gets exposed against a seasoned 1st string ruckman like Marshall IMO. Something to keep in mind when thinking about resting Witts in future.

The umpire was 100m away.

But the umpires calls went both ways all night and, ultimately, can’t be controlled.

What can be controlled is putting pressure on. What can be controlled is not stopping and avoiding any kind of movement. What can be controlled are dump kicks inside 50.

We want to play finals, then we win these games. Simple.

Now we have to win a game we shouldn’t to break even.

The umpire wasnt 100m away…25m away max

Umpiring was shocking both ways, we just got the last bad free kick (GC were on the receiving end last week) which is always the one criticised the most.

Very impressed with Uwland. You’ve got a good one there

Last edited:

Umpiring was shocking both ways, we just got the last bad free kick (GC we’re on the receiving end last week) which is always the one criticised the most.

You seem to put Saints supporter spin on umpires. I was watching the game with son-in-law who is Saints supporter too and even he agreed that worst calls and no calls went against Suns, let's say 70:30 in Saints favour. This is expected when Suns travel to Victoria, basically 3 goals down at start.

BTW, Saints deserved to win.

For my son-in-law's sake I hope RTB will have some spiritual awakening and discard this insane, unwatchable style. IMO, it will not win GF these days. I still can't believe Dimma obliged, and Suns played the same rubbish. I am still sick from that first half.

Looking at the ruck stats is a point of interest for mine. We won the hitouts 34-25 (Moyle 32, Marshall 24) but lost the clearances 35-25. Marshall won 7 clearances himself and overall outperformed the inexperienced Moyle. I know people want Moyle to provide genuine ruck depth for us, but I don't think he's quite there against the better rucks in the league.

He's had decent games against 2nd & 3rd string rucks from Geelong & Essendon, but his inexperience gets exposed against a seasoned 1st string ruckman like Marshall IMO. Something to keep in mind when thinking about resting Witts in future.
I think Marshall is one of the better rucks in the comp.

We can’t expect Moyle to be able to beat these kind of players after half a dozen games. He beats players at his level, and competes ok/good enough against those above him.

He started taking contested marks late and looked to be getting more involved when we were making a charge back.

And the problem of winning the hit outs and losing clearances has been a staple of our away form all season, even with Witts.

I think Marshall is one of the better rucks in the comp.

We can’t expect Moyle to be able to beat these kind of players after half a dozen games. He beats players at his level, and competes ok/good enough against those above him.

He started taking contested marks late and looked to be getting more involved when we were making a charge back.

And the problem of winning the hit outs and losing clearances has been a staple of our away form all season, even with Witts.
Yes, I also thought Moyle played well in the last quarter.

A few points.

1. Our mid group is good but not that good. Well beaten in the first half on contested ball, clearances, and inside 50's. Not enough touches when that touch will send you forward. Have to be better b/c, you know, they should be better than that. Of coure, nothing we have not seen before.
2. Our pressure forwards, apart from Longy, did not pressure enough. Too easy too often for them to move the ball forwards. Big questions on Holman full stop.
3. Our defensive group is getting better. They were under the pump but held up well. Two dodgy frees in front for 2 goals, every thing else was made hard for them. Uwland being good makes a big difference. Swap a better defender who can also kick for Secco or Flanders and they are better again.
4. Young/inexperienced players go missing, it is what it is. Graham was good, but Humper, Walter and Clohesy were way too quiet, and Moyle well beaten in 1st half. Humper looks like the classic 2nd year player, trying to do too much and therefore not getting anything done.
5. Going young when we are trying to make finals is a big risk (as shown in this game), but Dimma is going young anyway. Eyes on the prize, eyes on the prize, which is challenging for top 4. The young player replacements are not taking us to top 4 next year or the year after, so keep giving the youngsters a game. Give Walter a spell in the VFL, but get him back him asap. Eyes on the prize.
6. Fiorini? open a butcher shop mate. The type of limited player who has to make good decisions and hit targets to be useful, and he aint' do either at the minute. Started the year well, not sure where that went.
Nailed it all.
There may well be a good reason we’re not doing it, but I don’t understand why we aren’t unleashing Bear in the middle for short bursts?

Anderson/Rowell/Miller gets stale too often in away games, and Humphrey is always on the move and always trying to put his head down and break away. Even if he gives a couple of free kicks away, it would give us a boost of energy and a different look. It’s got to be better than playing 3v3 cos one of our mids is being nullified while he is sitting at high-half forward trying to play a pressure role and ruining his confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it all.
There may well be a good reason we’re not doing it, but I don’t understand why we aren’t unleashing Bear in the middle for short bursts?

Anderson/Rowell/Miller gets stale too often in away games, and Humphrey is always on the move and always trying to put his head down and break away. Even if he gives a couple of free kicks away, it would give us a boost of energy and a different look. It’s got to be better than playing 3v3 cos one of our mids is being nullified while he is sitting at high-half forward trying to play a pressure role and ruining his confidence.
Fair point. Is it the same problem Dew was criticized for? Not enough people going through the middle, mixing it up? Graham played inside.

Umpiring was shocking both ways, we just got the last bad free kick (GC were on the receiving end last week) which is always the one criticised the most.

Jon Ralph on half time Swans v Cats, the AFL has admitted the Mac Andrew call was an error, I agree lots of bad calls but this was on another level and likely cost us 4 points, shouldn’t happen and certainly should affect the outcome

Boy i sure do feel better now

The Haileybury old boy umpire who saw the Haileybury old boy being marked on fairly but contested by the South Sudanese Gold Coast Boy and had to step in and put the South Sudanese Boy, the Gold Coast club and its supporters firmly back where they/we belong will not be punished.

That’s the VFL. GAGF.

Umpire #31. Never. Ever. Forget.

Fair point. Is it the same problem Dew was criticized for? Not enough people going through the middle, mixing it up? Graham played inside.
Absolutely. I get that they are our 3 best mids and ideally you want them around the ball as much as possible. But despite the media and our Board/CEO talking up finals, it’s clear Hardwick is building for 2 years time when Clohesy, Rogers, Lombard, Walter, Graham, Humphrey, Mac, etc. are hitting 50+ games and the rest are in their prime. Just seems like an opportunity now to throw some different setups at the opposition when Touk/Anderson are getting tagged out of the game anyway and see what happens, or a Humphrey/Rosas/Ainsworth for a couple of bounces even for something different like Hardwick mentioned may be a possibility at the start of the year.

Feel like playing away might be a mental thing for us - we look like we get intimidated on another teams home deck, just need that one win to make us believe

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back