Preview Round 13 The Sydney Swans vs. The Carlton Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Curiosity: Is this the same Carlton side that lost to the swans in last years Elimination Final? Or have they changed their side considerably? I don't really pay attention to sides outside the swans.

Quite a different side. Last year we barely scraped into the 8, this year we're pushing top 4. Down back, Duigan has really steadied our backline and Jamison has stepped up to the level where he wouldn't be out of place AA this year. Lastly Yarran has given us a run out of the backline we didn't have last year.

In the midfield Curnow and Ellard have given us a lot of extra grunt that we need against teams like Sydney. Murphy has taken his game to another level and is now leading the coaches association award for player of the year.

Up forward, Walker is having his best season ever for us, but this is probably where we're at our weakest. Our kicking at goal has been woeful, although yours last week wasn't that flash either.

Also, Kreuzer's back. His importance to us can't be underestimated.

This quote by the Blues mod made me chuckle a little:

I take it the blues weren't playing their best football for the last two decades? :p I hope for the sake of his credibility he meant on 'recent form.'

What I think he meant was that if we play at our best we'll win. And I think that's true. This year, on current form, our best is better than yours. But the Swans are the masters at preventing other teams from playing their best, so we'll have to be in top form to beat you. We'll need to lift our efforts from recent weeks too. We're coming off three soft games - Melbourne, Port, Brissie - not ideal preparation for what should be a hard and fast game.

I read somewhere in the thread that this was a "crucial" game for us, but I don't think that's necessarily so. It's a big game, because it should be a close affair, but losing this weekend won't be "crucial" to our year.

It's a genuine 50-50 game. All this talk of "if we play our best, we will win..." is just that, talk. How can you ever measure if your side has played its "best"?

I'm happy for Carlton fans to keep telling us they have a better side. We'll see come Sunday.

I'm happy for Carlton fans to keep telling us they have a better side.

In our defence, there are plenty who are also saying that if we don't play at our best we'll lose.

I'm happy for Swans fans to keep up with the 'shut down Judd and you shut down Carlton' talk. I'd love it if Horse and his team were that silly, which they won't be.

We'll see come Sunday.

Indeed. By the way, when do the team fly down to Melbourne? There's more volcanic ash on the way apparently.

So Walker beat up on Port. Who were the 4s and 5s by and against?

Betts 4g vs swans
Garlett 4g vs port, 5g vs suns
Walker 4g vs crows, 5g vs suns lions, 6g vs port
Thornton 4g vs suns

..they are our top 3 goal kickers..
Walker 30g, 10b
Garlett 27b, 14b
Betts 20g, 11b

..early on the season our goal accuracy was shizen, we seem to have corrected our inaccuracy over the last few weeks.. ..this season though it's been more a case of having a wide spread of goal kickers..

Garlett's 5 came against the Suns I'm pretty sure. Definitely not the Swans.

I read somewhere in the thread that this was a "crucial" game for us, but I don't think that's necessarily so. It's a big game, because it should be a close affair, but losing this weekend won't be "crucial" to our year.

It's a genuine 50-50 game. All this talk of "if we play our best, we will win..." is just that, talk. How can you ever measure if your side has played its "best"?

I'm happy for Carlton fans to keep telling us they have a better side. We'll see come Sunday.

It's not, we can lose this game as well as the pies and geelong and still finish 5th.

Can't remember a game where Judd has beaten Jack.

Does Judd ever even worry about Jack or anybody who tags him? He just hunts the ball and whoever the ball carrier is, I don't think he spends too much time worrying about 'beating' whoever plays him. When you're Judd you let the opposition worry about stopping you.

Does Judd ever even worry about Jack or anybody who tags him? He just hunts the ball and whoever the ball carrier is, I don't think he spends too much time worrying about 'beating' whoever plays him. When you're Judd you let the opposition worry about stopping you.

Jack gets the better of him though. In the last Syd/Carl at the Etihad Jack was stopping him then doing damage setting up play going the other way, so Judd probably does have to worry about his opponent, which you admitted he doesn't. . . The game was over by half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not, we can lose this game as well as the pies and geelong and still finish 5th.

Yeah, we can afford to lose all three but that would certainly emphasise, yet again, that the way we're going we can't beat the top sides.

It'd be much healthier if we could win at least one of them, preferably this week as I don't consider Carlton as the equal of the Pies and Cats.

Having said that, we ARE due to catch Collingwood sooner or later and I'd like to think it's our turn in two weeks but we'd need to play better than we have recently, and convert our goal chances better.

Yeah, we can afford to lose all three but that would certainly emphasise, yet again, that the way we're going we can't beat the top sides.

It'd be much healthier if we could win at least one of them, preferably this week as I don't consider Carlton as the equal of the Pies and Cats.

Having said that, we ARE due to catch Collingwood sooner or later and I'd like to think it's our turn in two weeks but we'd need to play better than we have recently, and convert our goal chances better.

It's been our turn to beat the pies for 6 years, correct me if i'm wrong but they beat us in 05 as well?

Anyway, yes it's our turn to beat them but i'll be shocked (however pleasantly) if it happened this year, but, you never know.

If we come fifth, win our home final and lose the next week that would be about right i'd say. I just think there's too much class above us to even get my hopes up.

It's been our turn to beat the pies for 6 years, correct me if i'm wrong but they beat us in 05 as well?

Anyway, yes it's our turn to beat them but i'll be shocked (however pleasantly) if it happened this year, but, you never know.

If we come fifth, win our home final and lose the next week that would be about right i'd say. I just think there's too much class above us to even get my hopes up.
Na, 05 was the last time we beat them, at Olympic stadium. We won by a point or two, Buchanan cramping at the end.

Na, 05 was the last time we beat them, at Olympic stadium. We won by a point or two, Buchanan cramping at the end.

Maybe an omen then if we beat them? ;)

Yeah, you're right with that last point.

I don't think anyone can beat Collingwood (except Geelong) - right now.
But - 2 good performances in the next 2 weeks means that our boys will know they can get close if they play 4 quarters and everyone contributes.

This means that, come finals time, Swannies will have a more settled combination, hopefully most at full fitness and ... belief.

I don't know about other people but I think this is absolutely a crucial game.

I expected Sydney to improve from last year which means a top 4 finish. At the start of the season I would have expected to beat Carlton and Fremantle for the last spot in the top 4.

I was surprised when Carlton beat us a few rounds ago and I would say that if we go the whole season without beating a team from a top 4 that includes Carlton, then our season hasn't been as successful as I would have hoped.

Hawthorn jumping us I can understand, but we must be able to beat teams like Carlton if our season is to demonstrate the potential we will need to challenge for a flag in coming years. Call me a pessimist, or maybe it's just because I don't think Carlton are that good.

I don't know about other people but I think this is absolutely a crucial game.

I expected Sydney to improve from last year which means a top 4 finish. At the start of the season I would have expected to beat Carlton and Fremantle for the last spot in the top 4.

I was surprised when Carlton beat us a few rounds ago and I would say that if we go the whole season without beating a team from a top 4 that includes Carlton, then our season hasn't been as successful as I would have hoped.

Hawthorn jumping us I can understand, but we must be able to beat teams like Carlton if our season is to demonstrate the potential we will need to challenge for a flag in coming years. Call me a pessimist, or maybe it's just because I don't think Carlton are that good.
Given their injuries it could be Hawthorn that ends up being the weak link of the top 4 and the one we overtake to get 4th, they are just 2 points ahead.

Who in your forward line has kicked 6 goals this year and against who?
I said 5-6 not 6 and I never mentioned this year only

- Garlett has kicked 5 once this year (His PB is 6 vs Essendon)
Walker has had bags of 6, 5, 5 this year.

- Betts has been out of form this year but he kicked 4 against you and 3 last week, both he and Waite have had a number of 5 goal games.

- Kruezer is more an unknown but he has kicked 3 in a quarter when he has been shifted forward, don't treat him with respect at your own peril.

- Henderson is the only real work in progress but 3 against the cats means you can't ignore him either.

My point was simple, you can't neglect any of our forwards anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 13 The Sydney Swans vs. The Carlton Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back