VFL Round 15 v Northern Bullants, Sunday July 7, 2:05pm AEST, Genis Steel Oval Preston

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Sammy give you poor medical advice or something? Haven’t had a nice word to say about him at all. BE NICE!
What have I said bad about him? I just stated some reasons why he wasn’t picked and none were regarding his ability.
Learn to read before you go spouting off and take your own advice and be nice. 👍

Agree, but he’s no more physically advanced than Gray and they went for Gray. As I said with so many players possibly going at seasons end through trades, retirement and delistings they wanted to see if theirs better available to trade in or in the draft. Seventeen other clubs weren’t interested so I think we haven’t lost anything. People wanted May as well, but they settled on one project young forward in Gray. Also remember there’s still Fawcett as another young project.

Exactly. Add to that he’s already in the Tiger system, an additional trial on the primary list for six months as some are suggesting probably wouldn’t have unearthed anything not already known. Difference with Tresize is that JT never played in an elite pathway so his scope for improvement was (and I’d argue still is) a pretty exponential curve.

I should say that I quite like Davidson, I buy the elite running capabilities (though this often best translates as a wing where when he has played there hasn’t looked great). But in a perfect world, if he was selected in the MSD he would only play in the VFL anyway; so see little lost.

The only reason you would selecting in the MSD is if you think there was a risk another club would select him AND you didn’t want to take that risk.

Otherwise wait, see what list spots and draft hand you have, and maximize the talent you’re bringing onto your list.

Exactly. Add to that he’s already in the Tiger system, an additional trial on the primary list for six months as some are suggesting probably wouldn’t have unearthed anything not already known. Difference with Tresize is that JT never played in an elite pathway so his scope for improvement was (and I’d argue still is) a pretty exponential curve.

I should say that I quite like Davidson, I buy the elite running capabilities (though this often best translates as a wing where when he has played there hasn’t looked great). But in a perfect world, if he was selected in the MSD he would only play in the VFL anyway; so see little lost.

The only reason you would selecting in the MSD is if you think there was a risk another club would select him AND you didn’t want to take that risk.

Otherwise wait, see what list spots and draft hand you have, and maximize the talent you’re bringing onto your list.
This is what I'm saying, why take that risk for the price of a 6 month rookie spot? We now have to hope he gets to the rookie draft at the end of the year with him putting together an increasingly eye catching season.

This is what I'm saying, why take that risk for the price of a 6 month rookie spot? We now have to hope he gets to the rookie draft at the end of the year with him putting together an increasingly eye catching season.
Blight was a no-brainer in the MSD. Think he'll quickly go past Miller and be Astbury level at a minimum for another 10 years.
I think Gray was worth a shot to get him under our noses and monitor development like Davidson already was. Pity that his injured now, so will quickly become like Fawcett and forgotten as far as what his potential could be.
And with a good draft hand in a deep draft this year, we really don't want to be filling our list up with any more than those 2 MSD recruits.

Probably because the risk is low that he’ll be selected in the National Draft. Whilst it isn’t impossible, this years’ draft is quite deep; and the continuing small free list spots competition wide will probably see younger players preferred considering they automatically get a two year contract.

If that happens and he falls to the rookie draft, well in our current position we’ll have one of the earliest picks so can nab him there. Which is my point, you want to keep these guys past 6 months and he’s already in your system so what do you get by selecting him in the MSD?

At the end of the day, the bigger risk is that by taking a third player in the MSD means almost a musical chairs situation when trades/ delistings and free agency is done at the end of the season as TI stated. Obvious as it is to say, the guys who are on the LTIL will come back to the list as of next year, so room on the list still needs to be available for them. We have a strong draft hand with numerous picks and you have to take the same picks into the draft as open spots on the list, maximizing that opportunity is the most important thing imo.

People calling for Davidson due to our poor forward line need to realise, he has played mostly on the wing and he is not a KPF.

And he projects as a wing at AFL level
most importantly. I haven’t been able to get to a VFL game recently, but from the coverage it seems as if he’s rotating as a high half forward and through wing. He’s done okay as a genuine winger, but nothing that frankly stands out. His biggest impact does seem to be as that high half forward.

I do hope we give him a chance as a rookie next season; as I said I’d bank on that running ability with his height and speed; but I’m not overly upset we didn’t nab him in the MSD.

And he projects as a wing at AFL level
most importantly. I haven’t been able to get to a VFL game recently, but from the coverage it seems as if he’s rotating as a high half forward and through wing. He’s done okay as a genuine winger, but nothing that frankly stands out. His biggest impact does seem to be as that high half forward.

I do hope we give him a chance as a rookie next season; as I said I’d bank on that running ability with his height and speed; but I’m not overly upset we didn’t nab him in the MSD.
I thought there was also a knock on his physicality?

Probably because the risk is low that he’ll be selected in the National Draft. Whilst it isn’t impossible, this years’ draft is quite deep; and the continuing small free list spots competition wide will probably see younger players preferred considering they automatically get a two year contract.

If that happens and he falls to the rookie draft, well in our current position we’ll have one of the earliest picks so can nab him there. Which is my point, you want to keep these guys past 6 months and he’s already in your system so what do you get by selecting him in the MSD?

At the end of the day, the bigger risk is that by taking a third player in the MSD means almost a musical chairs situation when trades/ delistings and free agency is done at the end of the season as TI stated. Obvious as it is to say, the guys who are on the LTIL will come back to the list as of next year, so room on the list still needs to be available for them. We have a strong draft hand with numerous picks and you have to take the same picks into the draft as open spots on the list, maximizing that opportunity is the most important thing imo.
Don't agree. He's going to have a lot of interest by the end of the year if his form holds out. Again, 6 months rookie spot would've locked him in. He's a player we genuinely need. Goal kicking high half forwards aren't hanging off trees.

Spot on ... you could delist Davo at the end of the season ... MSD contract 6 months ... so conversation about keeping list spots open is rubbish ... though he definitely lacks strength (and I think unlikely to make it) .... so normally I'd say that would come best on an AFL list ... but Louie would ruin him ... otherwise would have been real smart to take him at the MSD and assess at the end of the year ... now there is a real risk that he will go in the National draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People calling for Davidson due to our poor forward line need to realise, he has played mostly on the wing and he is not a KPF.

played as the deepest forward all day yesterday. probably due to Gray being out yes, but he did a great job of it.

Don't agree. He's going to have a lot of interest by the end of the year if his form holds out. Again, 6 months rookie spot would've locked him in. He's a player we genuinely need. Goal kicking high half forwards aren't hanging off trees.

Considering he was bypassed entirely in the MSD, has his season post the MSD been so good that teams not only will select him, but give him vastly better contractual terms?

Recent history of the National Draft shows that of the 60-70 players selected in the draft, maybe 5-10% of any draft will be of mature age players. Even then, it highly skews towards younger talent than 22/23 year olds.

Again it’s possible, but recent draft says it’s more unlikely.

I thought there was also a knock on his physicality?

Always harder to judge based purely on coverage and not live, but I wouldn’t say physicality is a strength, but I would also say that it’s not a concern.

What I will say, I think he has good footy IQ and uses his body well aerially.

Considering he was bypassed entirely in the MSD, has his season post the MSD been so good that teams not only will select him, but give him vastly better contractual terms?

Recent history of the National Draft shows that of the 60-70 players selected in the draft, maybe 5-10% of any draft will be of mature age players. Even then, it highly skews towards younger talent than 22/23 year olds.

Again it’s possible, but recent draft says it’s more unlikely.
If they select him in the ND it's not gonna matter what terms they put forward is it? Or am I misunderstanding the MSD contract duration. Does it expire prior to the ND/player exchange period?

There was a whole bunch of boofheads like me that expected us to take SD in the MSD and he's improved even further since then. Can't see all oppo recruiters overlooking a still young player averaging like 3 goals a game with his athletic profile and taking some random speculative 18 year old at 30+ instead. But who knows, I'm just frustrated we didn't take the chance when it was there on a silver platter for us. Could be Durham all over again.

If they select him in the ND it's not gonna matter what terms they put forward is it? Or am I misunderstanding the MSD contract duration. Does it expire prior to the ND/player exchange period?

There was a whole bunch of boofheads like me that expected us to take SD in the MSD and he's improved even further since then. Can't see all oppo recruiters overlooking a still young player averaging like 3 goals a game with his athletic profile and taking some random speculative 18 year old at 30+ instead. But who knows, I'm just frustrated we didn't take the chance when it was there on a silver platter for us. Could be Durham all over again.

Difference from the MSD to the ND is that the ND has mandatory contractual terms.

Obviously there’s a nomination for the MSD of either 6 or 18 months for players, which expires prior to the player movement period. But in reality it operates the same as the rookie draft does, only with half the time in contracts.

Assuming a player is pick from 21 onwards the contract is automatic two year deal if drafted in the ND; and an automatic base salary (it’s staggered depending on selection but let’s say it was pick 41+) is about $90k.

There’s more room for maneuver with a rookie contract is my understanding, but often it’ll be a 1 year deal with an automatic trigger (I believe Seth Campbell’s was), and it’s less per year (around $85k I think for a rookie).

So essentially in terms of guaranteed money it’s $180k vs $85k. Which matters if you’re looking to take a certain amount of selection in the National Draft. Take Garret McDonagh who Essendon selected in 2021 in the ND at around 50. The cut him after 12 months but still had to pay the two years of his contract.

I get the stance; and I was somewhat surprised we didn’t take a swing on a May or a Davidson (if only because it promotes the VFL team - much like the Saints are trying to do with Sandringham) in the MSD myself. But I think that if you can still keep him in your program and develop him, and still have access to him in 6 months time (albeit with some risk); that’s a better outcome from a list management perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back