Review Round 16, 2015 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players for the round 16 game against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's only a kid but needs to learn to dispose of the ball more effectively. Coaching staff?
Yeah can't really see him changing the way he plays, so we need to learn how to use him more efficiently. His disposal will come I think.
He does. He works hard and was there again and again. Worked harder than probably anyone on the ground. He was a bit better in the second half but first half was bad. He hurt us a lot and was lucky not to be caught holding the ball a few more times. Think they need to think about how he plays a bit. He needs to be smarter
and I think(hope) that will come with a bit more experience.

We have actually regressed so far from last year. It's unreal.

On the game, absolutely disgraceful first half. We were better after half time but really there is no way we could have gotten any worse.

On a side not it is absurd that we could have scored only 4 goals and be in the game in the last quarter. Melbourne not out of the woods yet for sure.

It's being played in Melbourne, therefore it's going to be a crap effort. We were so poor, it was compelling. Let's roll back to the good old days when last place got you Buddy AND Roughy ( or Roo and Kossie .. or Pendles and Thomas )

Well that was extremely disapointinting, a poor effort all round with exception of a couple of players.

I'm looking forward to the end of year draft and Leppa turning the list over, there are far too many passengers and dead wood on the Lions list and some of these have been on the list for many years and given us next to nothing, its time to cut them loose.

This years draft and trade period is shaping up as a critical one for both the club and Leppa. If we are where we are now this time next year then heads will be rolling.

What a completely shite day at the footy. Not a great advertisement for the game at all. The benefit of a talented, natural key fwd was glaringly obvious though. Our ball movement was slow and horrible but the forward line also looked lazy, a real lack of effort. It’s a bit chicken the egg for me as I don’t know if the ball movement is slow because no one up field presents on a strong lead or whether no one bothers wasting their energy leading because we fiddle around with the ball.

But I don’t recall seeing too many strong leads in the fwd 50 from a Lion all day. They just seem to jog, wave their arms a bit and jog back towards goal. A real lack of urgency. And guys run to the same spots. No one creates space for each other. So for anyone who only gets to watch on TV, don’t necessarily blame the guy with the ball the next time they look indecisive or go sideways. The work rate of our forward line today was appalling.

And it’s not just the fwds. Even trying to bring the ball out of defensive 50, players seem just to jog to a spot and stop. It’s as though they’ve been told that’s where they have to run to in the structure so that’s where they run to. Which is fine, except it’s almost like 'well, now what?' like they haven’t been told what the next part of the plan is. I realise that’s not actually going to be the case, but that’s just what some of the ‘running patterns’ (using that very loosely btw) made me think of today.

I only got to see the first half but it was just pathetic. So many questions need to be asked. Hanley injured again? What game style were we playing? Our senior players have always been our worst in our loses. Where to from here?? Our Skills haven't improved in years.

Rockliff with 17 tackles and Robinson with 12 were at least getting into the opposition.

Clarke is showing a little more of his rebounding capabilities with Merrett back. He is surprisingly quick over short distances.

The criticism of Taylor is a little harsh I think. He gets to space and gets the ball, looks up and no one else is moving half of the time. I'm not sure what people expect him to do. Often he is the first one to be an option for a player under pressure.

Rockliff with 17 tackles and Robinson with 12 were at least getting into the opposition.

Clarke is showing a little more of his rebounding capabilities with Merrett back. He is surprisingly quick over short distances.

The criticism of Taylor is a little harsh I think. He gets to space and gets the ball, looks up and no one else is moving half of the time. I'm not sure what people expect him to do. Often he is the first one to be an option for a player under pressure.

It's almost like some people are expecting too much from second year players or something......

From the ground today:

Harris Andrews - we need a few more of him. I will say he is close to our best defender already .

Daniel merret - weak as piss ordering an 18 yo and 21 yo around while you do nothing looking for cheap kicks and you couldn't even do that. Show some respect man up and take a key forward.

Daniel rich - bit like Merrett today just kept looking for someone to take his man while he did nothing.

Paperone - people need to get off his case. Makes mistakes but tries his guts out each week.

Lewy Taylor, beans and bundy - they just don't stop. I feel for them - I wonder wether buddy and beams ask for a trade back :)

Mc stay and stakes - can not play in the same team ever again. Offer nothing no run at all. So many timed honey should have lead after the flankers created space behind them and they just stood there. I watched mc stay closely and feel he just does not know how to read the game. He needs education on when to go.

Adcock - horrible at times.

Leppa - well today is the first time ever where I am questioning his ability as a coach. Teach the guys to piss off that inside handball that gets turned over every time nearly and teach your players some decent running patterns

Hbf - get some in as we have no movement from the back line.

Whinge over but for the Gabba people who go every other week I feel for you.

Oh thought Sam Mayes tried hard today also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This result only makes it harder to attract quality recruits, fans and sponsors next year, some of the players need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Had a bad feeling ..so decided I couldn't handle another honourable loss.so kept away from the TV.
Sounds like it was far from an honour able loss.
What on earth has happened to us???

It was terrible ceebee.

I still have much faith in the ability of our list.....what I am losing faith in, is the coaching of the team.

So often the boys seem confused, like they are bogged down with instructions.

Just let them play their natural game.

Its a worry, something is really wrong somewhere......and that's taking into account our injury list.

Just wish we'd go through the middle more when it's obvious this slow switching and kicking wide crap just doesn't work. A lack of a genuine power forward hurts us when we're trying to switch and eventually get that big pack mark up forward. We need someone that can lead properly and more importantly kick the damn goals.

That's the biggest thing I took out of the game. Would have been a much different story today with a functioning forward line.

When did Hanley and Beams go off with injury.
Is Rocky still carrying his injury?
McStay lazy again?
Terribly lazy today, just shocking to see someone jogging around like he was, very frustrating.

Terribly lazy today, just shocking to see someone jogging around like he was, very frustrating.
Was good when sent to defence I thought. He's simply not a workhorse like most key forwards are. That's why we need him coming in as a third tall and have a proper power forward making the runs up and down the ground, taking big marks and kicking the goals.

Was good when sent to defence I thought. He's simply not a workhorse like most key forwards are. That's why we need him coming in as a third tall and have a proper power forward making the runs up and down the ground, taking big marks and kicking the goals.
Didn't think he was too good in defence. Lacked the urgency he needed there and was reactive a lot of the time, shot on confidence ATM. Completely different player to the one we saw VS Carlton and the Dogs.

Is it really worth playing Staker?
Yes. Not too sure what all the flack on Staker today is for. He applied a lot of pressure today and tackled really well. He isn't going to kick goals when the delivery into our forward 50 resembles what he got today, he stays for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16, 2015 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Back