Game Day Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot understate how keen I am to see Will back. Quickly became a favourite player. It is always good to see us beat the Dee's, and I think that will continue tomorrow night. Lions by 30

This is good ...
  • Is game day
  • Will be hopefully Danster-free
  • Master Ashcroft back in
  • Demons to exorcise into any conveniently nearby herd of pigs

GO LIONS!!!
GO LIONS!!!
GO LIONS!!!
GO LIONS!!!
GO LIONS!!!
GO LIONS!!!

Careful. I heard if you say Dansters name three times he appears and shares Cam Rayner fun facts.

Two years ago we played Melbourne on a Thursday night at the G. I was locked down in a room on my own at the Outrigger in Fiji having scored that COVID thing. I had WATCH AFL and watched Melbourne destroy us. Not long after returning home we booked our next trip, and here we are; albeit a different resort. Any luck the pool bar has our game on tonight, worst case scenario is have to WATCH AFL it again - any luck the result and margin is reversed (Payne a big loss even with their forward line).

We've tapped into our reserves in midfield (Berry), wing (Bruce, Sharp), forward line (Morris, Lohmann). Time to tap into defensive reserves as well and see how well it stacks up. Good luck Joyce, I'm sure you'll go well.

I'm a big supporter of retaining Joyce on the list and while it's unfortunate he's being called upon due to Gardiner/Doedee ACLs, I believe he'll get the job done. Our forwards dash back to defend well these days, sometimes I've seen Charlie and Morris run all the way back to D50 to intercept. So Joyce will have good support around him overall.

Let's be honest, the only way Joyce gets exposed is if he's left in a heap of 1v1 against a better footballer on the back of no Midfield pressure. If the mids to their job, he'll be able to do his. If they don't, then he probably doesn't have the ability like Andrews to hold back the dam from breaking on his own. Payne doesn't have that ability either for what it's worth.

Hopefully Jack is only gone for a week or two.

No doubt they knew about Payne’s injury well before we did, so they will know the importance of team defence and worked on it this week without one of our taller defenders.
So I think we will be ok for this week, it is when we are up against one of the bigger forward lines that we may be tested.

Let's be honest, the only way Joyce gets exposed is if he's left in a heap of 1v1 against a better footballer on the back of no Midfield pressure. If the mids to their job, he'll be able to do his. If they don't, then he probably doesn't have the ability like Andrews to hold back the dam from breaking on his own. Payne doesn't have that ability either for what it's worth.

Hopefully Jack is only gone for a week or two.
Mmmm, I've seen these "foot soreness" injuries turn into stress fractures etc. Hopefully we've been able to nip it in the bud.

Bit worried about Van Rooyen now. And Pickett. Didn't play the game earlier this year or against us at the Gabba last year. Seems to cause problems for us tho when he does.

As you say it will be important for us to do well in midfield. Come on lads.

Was it a foot injury that kept Payne out for so long, and kept giving him trouble even when returned last year? Hopefully it's not an ongoing career thing, which at his size would be hard to get under control.

As I said earlier in the week, my biggest concern for tonight is how we approach the game mentally. Hopefully the bathwater didn't taste real good this week and as such we didn't drink it. We'll probably know by QT tonight if we are switched on or not. Hopefully Will's return will help that.

Mmmm, I've seen these "foot soreness" injuries turn into stress fractures etc. Hopefully we've been able to nip it in the bud.

Bit worried about Van Rooyen now. And Pickett. Didn't play the game earlier this year or against us at the Gabba last year. Seems to cause problems for us tho when he does.

As you say it will be important for us to do well in midfield. Come on lads.
yep Jack had effectively his first 2 years out with stress fracture in his legs so they will be super cautious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What with all these acrostics this week, I've a pretty taste for paradox.

Anyone played Europa Universalis?

while I normally like 4X style games, I don't actually generally like Paradox games that much. Don't feel right for whatever reason.

while I normally like 4X style games, I don't actually generally like Paradox games that much. Don't feel right for whatever reason.

More of a Crusader Kings guy.

ive dipped my toes into it :$

Screenshot_at_Jun_28_10-01-53.png

The team only losses the difference in output between Payne and Joyce.
Joyce is competent enough for that difference to be not great.
The only issue for me is it is his first AFL game since R6 2022. (edit 2023)
He will need to be on his toes for most of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back