Game Day Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joyce has similar attributes to Payne. Pretty much a poor man's Payne. Fits the setup well but not quite at the same level
Payne is a lot stronger than Joyce. I feel they are quite different players. Payne is more a traditional Full back who takes the big boy, likes the wrestle and 10M sprint to a ball. Think Mal Michael

Joyce seems more a 2nd/3rd tall defender. But that could be OK against this Melbourne side.

Payne in form is critical because Andrews is so flexible and can take whoever will lead him around the contest more. He also can then take a 3rd tall and play a McGovern role.

One thing I am interested is we have obviously changed our kickout methods. We send Harris to be the target for the long kick.

Instead of kicking it on Big O and Gawn's head (advantage Gawn) we may have found a way to spread out long bail out options and make Max pick between 1 or the other.

Kick it away from Max!

Huh? Viney butchers the ball by foot. I'm not concerned about his ability to "hurt" us at all, personally. Quite happy for one of our guys (Dunkley?) to go head to head.

They're 14th on the ladder for scoring. It's going to be very against trend for them to kick a big score.

Who is horribly out of form.

Who actively avoids any form of contact. Keep close to him and he's a non-factor.

As others have also said, earlier in the week, all things being equal, we win, and win well. We just need to go in with the right mindset (which surely shouldn't be hard, considering recent history).

Yeah Dunkley to Viney is the matchup

Very interesting listening to Dunks say recently he's not a tagger and that he's just a defensive focussed midfielder at clearances

Berry to Oliver with the option to release him if we need more run

Payne is a lot stronger than Joyce. I feel they are quite different players. Payne is more a traditional Full back who takes the big boy, likes the wrestle and 10M sprint to a ball. Think Mal Michael

Joyce seems more a 2nd/3rd tall defender. But that could be OK against this Melbourne side.

Payne in form is critical because Andrews is so flexible and can take whoever will lead him around the contest more. He also can then take a 3rd tall and play a McGovern role.

One thing I am interested is we have obviously changed our kickout methods. We send Harris to be the target for the long kick.

Instead of kicking it on Big O and Gawn's head (advantage Gawn) we may have found a way to spread out long bail out options and make Max pick between 1 or the other.

Kick it away from Max!

Payne might be stronger but he doesn't use it.

Joyce is pretty solid as well though

Feels like a banana-peel game. Dees will surely respond to some degree. I mean i did think that re Port.

At least we have been starting very well - i am eagerly awaiting the INEXPERIENCE thread but this is the youngest dees team we have played for a while so they could drop their heads in an away match. That said the aura of the gabba isn't there at the moment, look at the way the saints and blues pegged back leads, the pies got slaughtered in a quarter but came back hard.

Payne - really hope it's not long term. As others have said he takes a while to get touch and confidence. Joyce i think is a bit more mobile. They are both dodgy kicks. But Payne is excellent in the air and has played some elite games. He will be a loss, if we manage to get to the finals a team such as Carlton with two big power forwards would be more of a challenge without him, despite the fact he was poor against them last time. Especially given Gardiner was excellent v Curnow last time but is also out.

I remember being nervous when Rayner and Hipwood made their comebacks. But not this nervous re Ashcroft. Maybe it is the setbacks he had making me worried. Or the 4 ACLs already this year at the gabba. Exciting to see him back but fingers certainly crossed. Can't help but think what difference he could have made in the grand final. such good poise and big-game vibes. But tbf the pies had some outs including McStay.

Lever back means Lever and May play for the first time in a while. We need to be extremely wary of dumping it long. Hipwood and Daniher are the number 1 and 2 ranked key forwards since round 10 according to fox footy. Quelling them could put us on the back foot. Morris has been awesome but the run will end at some point! Maybe Charlie can step up?

Slightly shorter break but the dees played after us and had a very tight game so no excuse for us having the legs. And we should have more run than them - they have brought in a tall for a runner. Depending on their sub, their forward line has 3 talls if you include Fritsch, 3 talls in the backline, gawn in the ruck, on the bench strangely they have 2 more talls in McDonald and Turner. 9 talls is a lot! We have 7 including Morris and Lester. I think they are too tall. If they do happen to win it out of the middle and go tall up forward it could stretch us given no Payne.

Berry should definitely get a job. He's like a horse with blinkers on. A job seems to give him focus and confidence. Oliver has been slaughtered in the media this week so i'd stick with him. Viney is going well but Dunkley can do a bit of work on him.

Would just love an early lead, no stress win. I think the group got a lot of confidence back last week. They looked thrilled. But we need to stay the hunter. THink of those pumpings Melbourne dished out to us in 2021 and 2022!

Do we even know the details of what the problem is with his foot?
he looked sore a few weeks ago against the Dogs and might have come off at one stage, 'to get some treatment'

Clubs only release what they want, when they want. So we may never know. I have no doubt Neale has been playing injured, but seems to be over it based on his past few performances. Payne was carrying an ankle/foot issue back half of last year, and perhaps that has flared up again the past few weeks. Joe was carrying an injury to a shoulder early last year. Berry has had shoulder issues, and a couple of years ago Harris was carrying a knee. Thats just a few, that IMO have been playing injured.

I think Joyce will be fine and cant see Dees kicking a winning score.

Kick it away from Max!
I think our kick-ins have improved a lot. we seem to be much better at taking them quickly to a 20m target. and we have zorko or wilmot running past and taking a quick option. it's interesting we have managed to get better at this without Coleman. I think we should keep our current strategy even when he comes back including with zorko back there. i just think he's been so good there so why not continue with it?

I still think our defence of kick-ins is terrible. we seem to not be able to figure out the right distance in terms of guarding players. i don't have stats on it but i think teams get to halfway very easily. maybe our set-up though is about making sure there is no score and we have a deeper set defence? i assume there are detailed stats on defending kick-ins somehwere...

We've tapped into our reserves in midfield (Berry), wing (Bruce, Sharp), forward line (Morris, Lohmann). Time to tap into defensive reserves as well and see how well it stacks up. Good luck Joyce, I'm sure you'll go well.

I'm a big supporter of retaining Joyce on the list and while it's unfortunate he's being called upon due to Gardiner/Doedee ACLs, I believe he'll get the job done. Our forwards dash back to defend well these days, sometimes I've seen Charlie and Morris run all the way back to D50 to intercept. So Joyce will have good support around him overall.
Yep. Great post. Nailed it. It's squads that win flags.

Poor man's inexperience watch

INEXPERIENCED DEES

Daniel Turner 22yo 9 games
Moniz-Wakefield - 20yo 0 games
Taj Woewodin - 21yo 14 games
Koltyn Tholstrup - 18yo 2 games
Caleb Windsor - 19yo 14 games

INEXPERIENCED LIONS

Darragh Joyce - 25yo 18 games
Jaspa Fletcher - 20yo 28 games
Will Ashcroft - 19yo 18 games
Logan Morris - 19yo 7 games
Bruce Reville - 23yo 7 games

It's certainly not men vs boys. But the dees' most inexperienced players include a debutant and some very much unproven and young skinny blokes. our lot includes two mature age players and 2 first round locks in the 22

I have been in Hospital for 8 days and discharged on Wednesday,
Unfortunately, i came home without my bladder, prostate and a bunch of lymph nodes.
So, i have only read the last few pages on the preview thread and this one today.
I may have missed any discussion on who will be Sub tonight.
Also, Ashcroft changes our midfield mix which has been going very well.

It will have to come from these five players in A-Z order.
Ashcroft ease him back in, Ah Chee, Bailey, Lohmann & Reville A great list to choose from as sub.

Most likely it will be Reville.
However, that changes our wing structure which has been good the last month or so.
Ashcroft as sub also makes sense to me at this stage of the year. Still 9 games to go plus hopefully finals.
Mate, I hope you make as best a recovery as possible.

Who gets the Berry tag? Oliver has been out of form and Viney has stepped up as the main centre clearance performer. I'd tag him and rely on our overall midfield team effort at the other stoppages.
We don't want clean service to their forward line. The sort of clean service Viney provides. Oliver is more a grunt get it moving type.They have plenty of fire-power up forward. Fritsch has very good forward craft and Pickett is a nemesis.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has to be Oliver. If he gets going, there’s a game on. While that may be unlikely, it’s not something we want to risk. Shut him down early so he’s not a factor.

Then if the need arises mid game, we can move Berry elsewhere

Huh? Viney butchers the ball by foot. I'm not concerned about his ability to "hurt" us at all, personally. Quite happy for one of our guys (Dunkley?) to go head to head.

They're 14th on the ladder for scoring. It's going to be very against trend for them to kick a big score.

Who is horribly out of form.

Who actively avoids any form of contact. Keep close to him and he's a non-factor.

As others have also said, earlier in the week, all things being equal, we win, and win well. We just need to go in with the right mindset (which surely shouldn't be hard, considering recent history).

Starcevich is back in good nick now too; if he monsters Pickett as he is known to, then he shouldn’t be too much of a factor

Starcevich is back in good nick now too; if he monsters Pickett as he is known to, then he shouldn’t be too much of a factor

Pickett has generally got hold of us. Has always been good for 2+ goals and a lot of influential touches, even when he has been in woeful form otherwise. My biggest concern for this game I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett has generally got hold of us. Has always been good for 2+ goals and a lot of influential touches, even when he has been in woeful form otherwise. My biggest concern for this game I think.
And we have struggled with those elite small elite and quick forwards in recent times such as Bobby Hill and Pickett previously.

Unfortunately, i came home without my bladder, prostate and a bunch of lymph nodes.
So, i have only read the last few pages on the preview thread and this one today.

Ashcroft ease him back in, Ah Chee, Bailey, Lohmann & Reville A great list to choose from as sub.

However, that changes our wing structure which has been good the last month or so.
Ashcroft as sub also makes sense to me at this stage of the year. Still 9 games to go plus hopefully finals.
My heart aches for , sending my best wishes for your recovery . Hope the boys can keep on winning for you . Take care .

And we have struggled with those elite small elite and quick forwards in recent times such as Bobby Hill and Pickett previously.
And Higgins

Genuinely wouldn't call any of the three 'elite' small quick forwards myself. I probably only have 2-3 of those in the competition to be fair.

I think Pickett is the best but Hill saved the best game of his career for the grand final, so fair play to him. Higgins is completely meh.

Hopefully it's a good night for us🙂. My son, who's immune compromised was discharged a couple of hours ago after 5 nights. All the best section 5.

Genuinely wouldn't call any of the three 'elite' small quick forwards myself. I probably only have 2-3 of those in the competition to be fair.

I think Pickett is the best but Hill saved the best game of his career for the grand final, so fair play to him. Higgins is completely meh.

We made him look elite

Poor man's inexperience watch

INEXPERIENCED DEES

Daniel Turner 22yo 9 games
Moniz-Wakefield - 20yo 0 games
Taj Woewodin - 21yo 14 games
Koltyn Tholstrup - 18yo 2 games
Caleb Windsor - 19yo 14 games

INEXPERIENCED LIONS

Darragh Joyce - 25yo 18 games
Jaspa Fletcher - 20yo 28 games
Will Ashcroft - 19yo 18 games
Logan Morris - 19yo 7 games
Bruce Reville - 23yo 7 games

It's certainly not men vs boys. But the dees' most inexperienced players include a debutant and some very much unproven and young skinny blokes. our lot includes two mature age players and 2 first round locks in the 22
Until inexperienced watch is posted
This may help.

1719560295177.png

I'm making an assumption, but **** cancer and all hail the medical system. It is treatable even if not curable. I'm five years down the track and I know there are others here who have also been through it. Lymph nodes are overrated.

You got this and if you ever need to vent or bitch and moan just message me. Happy to smack talk cancer every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back