Review Round 16 - Collingwood @ PF Stadium - 29th June 2024 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite an interesting mix of CBA’s. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we moved Flanders in there and Touk out and we were sooo much cleaner spreading the ball outside by hand. Letting Touk roll up to the middle as a half forward seems to work for him and the team as well. Good coaching.

Then again, could’ve just be the home ground boost.

IMG_2050.jpeg

My 3rd and final game I went to this year. Another win :)

Another home game which showed that we should be on the right track after constant disappointments on road.

This was our most mature and experienced line-up of the season.

Credit to high performance team and players to perform like this after tough trip to Perth on 6-day break.

We worked harder and were more committed than Magpies who looked flat for 3 quarters.

Except that half of the last quarter when Magpies got on top in the middle, we were better team.

It's really puzzling why Dimma refuses to tag. It was obvious option in the last quarter when Daicos was killing us while running free.

For some reason I was confident during Magpies run that we will come back.

The noise was unbelievable after Long and Ainsworth goals. Almost like half of stadium were Suns fans while during Magpies comeback it looked like 60-70% were Magpies fans who were way louder, feral than Suns fans. Security had to be called into our section.

Interesting to read admins talking about unacceptable criticism of umpires. For me more disappointing and unacceptable were some comments about Miller during the game here. But hey, I am not admin. Inside the stadium, Miller looked like our best player in the first half together with Flanders. His work rate was unbelievable.

Some easy goals by Magpies from turnovers, silly mistakes from defenders but hardly I can criticize any player. Effort, contest was there. It looked like most complete performance from us for most of the game in a long time. Some easy shots missed. It almost cost us.

Those quick hand ball linkups were joy to watch and heart-stopping at the same time.

Great to watch Uwland, Jeffrey, Graham developing. So was Long flattening 2 Magpies players. Awesome to watch, crowd just gasped.

I wish Maynard will get fine for staging.

I do wish umpires would not fall for Daicos milking free and call free kick when Rowell got almost killed 😂

Last edited:
Watched the replay, so many players stepped up last night.

Kingy, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, he said I'm big haircut and you're getting on the leash, and showed Frampton around the stadium.

Long, Magnificent. He is a game winner.

Uwland, so tough amd uncompromising, cutting through that pack. I wonder what his ceiling is, could he get midfield minutes?

Anderson showed great leadership in that last qtr, it felt like it was slipping and he wasn't having it, lead from his actions.

Graham I feel so safe when i see him, he will win the contest and you just bank on him doing what the team needs.

Ballard won some really important contests, in a game that left our backs vulnerable.

Flanders is a gun, He is that extra midfielder we needed, and it showed faith in sexton, jeffrey and powell to move the ball, which they did.

And finally Miller, starting to get prollific, 2 weeks in a row, He had 9 score involvments i think.

The whole team played well but these guys were great i thought

Home now
Replay time
Pizza and Beer
Then a scotch and bed

What was Dave Swallow’s injury please??

Beating the Pies when we are so badly outnumbered is as good as it gets and the crowd showed that tonight.

Don’t forget despite the hype of the travelling army most of them are hyped up once a year warriors that live here.

They are a disgrace.

I noticed a few comments about Ben Long being the Suns Goat.

I as you know label Holman as the Suns Goat but if Long continues to hammer players with his tackling and clutch plays he could in a year maybe take that mantle.

I agree. He’s gold. He’s my type of player. I love Holman and I am falling in love with Long.

Have a beautiful evening in the beautiful city.
We’re just finally, finally getting enough hard bastards into this team to make other teams think twice about trying to bully us, Uwland, Graham, Holman, Collins, Rowell, Berry, Longy, Mac even has some mongrel in him despite being a twig.

This comment is spot on. They sicken me. Support your community.
I have 3 family members that played for North.Hell.I even had a run in the U19's with Pagan.(I tell people Donald McDonald got my spot;)-which is code for I wasn't good enough) Grew up next to the Longmires and for those that remember Phil"Snake"Baker's family.My family in Victoria still bleeds blue and white but I know for a fact my Dad who's been gone 35 years would be horrified if we weren't Suns supporters.I really don't get it Bodsy.

Last edited:
The improvement in Uwland is unbelievable, it wasnt long ago I was frustrated he was getting a game. Now he's contributing immensely both ways, and a favourite of the suns faithful. Could he make a late charge at the rising star?
He's the player we hoped Jesse Joyce and Budarick were going to be

Pretty clear when Jon Ralph, Tony Shaw etc are questioning the quality of the umpires this year - apparently Essendon experienced an horrific run last night. ...but they are people so we shouldn't hurt their feelings. There is a quality control issue for sure and the AFL continually changing the rules and allowing rookie umpires on to the field has a lot to do with it. I feel we (Suns) have had a pretty good go from them this year though compared to those years when Ole Baldy ran rampant.
It's the rule INTERPRETATION changes.It must drive the umpires batty. 6 weeks ago there would have been at least 10 more holding the ball decisions based on the game last night.Now....crickets

I love Will too but Rowelly says hi.
Different types, Rowell is desperate to win the ball but bless his heart doesn't have the leg speed to do much outside of a scrum. Will Graham chases, harasses and never gives up on a play. You never see him walking around a stoppage or letting his opponent get too far off him. Can't say the same for the other 2 mids that get the bulk of the CBAs.

Yep
If there's an appropriate penance I need to partake as well
To be fair I thought he was a decent player up until that stupid knee injury at the Broadbeach sandtrap but I never thought he could or should have been kept on list after that
Credit to him
I hope Jed Walter is watching him and Kingy and seeing what makes an AFL forward
I just think it’s great we still have a loyal servant like Sammy to fill in and be serviceable until Jed is ready. Would be wonderful to see both Sam and Spitta get their chance to play finals together.

I have 3 family members that played for North.Hell.I even had a run in the U19's with Pagan.(I tell people Donald McDonald got my spot;)-which is code for I wasn't good enough) Grew up next to the Longmires and for those that remember Phil"Snake"Baker's family.My family in Victoria still bleeds blue and white but I know for a fact my Dad who's been gone 35 years would be horrified if we weren't Suns supporters.I really don't get it Bodsy.
Ok I’d like to meet you at a game one day. By the looks of that tunnel picture I must sit really close to you.

Re the Suns support, yeah I don’t get.
In winter I’m going to a Suns or Titans game nearly every weekend.

It’s living and maximising where you live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different types, Rowell is desperate to win the ball but bless his heart doesn't have the leg speed to do much outside of a scrum. Will Graham chases, harasses and never gives up on a play. You never see him walking around a stoppage or letting his opponent get too far off him. Can't say the same for the other 2 mids that get the bulk of the CBAs.

Thankfully we're allowing Rowell to play to his strengths now. I think over the next couple years he'll find more consistency week to week. His impact is enormous and I completely disagree if someone said it wasn't. Opposition teams know if he's getting 30, 10+ clrs and 10+ tackles it doesn't usually end well for them on the scoreboard as he is the chain starter.

Thankfully we're allowing Rowell to play to his strengths now. I think over the next couple years he'll find more consistency week to week. His impact is enormous and I completely disagree if someone said it wasn't. Opposition teams know if he's getting 30, 10+ clrs and 10+ tackles it doesn't usually end well for them on the scoreboard as he is the chain starter.
I have Rowell in SC so watch him extra close, the amount of holding he has to put up him (un-whistled) is ridiculous. Teams are clearly looking to stop him getting to the ball first. Dimma needs to do some whinging in the media so the umps can't ignore it anymore.

If every game was a final, the Snake would be in the Hall of Fame.

Said it for the Essendon and Richmond games but even though we still get outnumbered, its no where near as one-sided as previous years.

The Ainsworth goal was probably the loudest the stadium has been since the Anderson game winner
The noise the Collingwood fans made when they hit the front was intimidating. And credit to them they travel in numbers much like rats 😉

But I have to say those last goals from Long and Ainsworth shook the entire stadium, and some of that Collingwood mob Bravo was no doubt shaking, fantastic to see sons fans loud and proud

As an old North boy I remember those reserve teams where Donald McDonald looked a world beater but couldn’t touch it in the seniors. There
Was a kid called Eric Lissendon that was playing at the same time and I thought he was the next Wayne Carey, in the end I don’t think he played a senior game, the difference in levels must be monumental

The noise the Collingwood fans made when they hit the front was intimidating. And credit to them they travel in numbers much like rats 😉

But I have to say those last goals from Long and Ainsworth shook the entire stadium, and some of that Collingwood mob Bravo was no doubt shaking, fantastic to see sons fans loud and proud
Just wondering why Suns fans were not as loud and proud during the game. Agree, Magpies fans generated fantastic noise during their charge.

Even more impressive was our last 4 min, how we were able to turn it around when it looked like we were tiring. A couple of crucial clearances in the middle.

Last edited:
LOL at Derwayne saying Peter could end up the third best Daicos. Nick is a gun but I can see the discussion at home going something like this..

Nick: picked up a lazy 32 disposals on Saturday Dad.
Peter: Yeah but did you kick 13 goals?

I was there that night! Daicos kicked 13.1, the Bears kicked 10.11!

LOL at Derwayne saying Peter could end up the third best Daicos. Nick is a gun but I can see the discussion at home going something like this..

Nick: picked up a lazy 32 disposals on Saturday Dad.
Peter: Yeah but did you kick 13 goals?

I was there that night! Daicos kicked 13.1, the Bears kicked 10.11!

Derwayne couldn’t help but mention that we got Mac Andrew as an Academy player as well as “the bag of riches “ we already have, would expect no less of him than to play the Vic club mantra, flog

Last edited:
Just wondering why Suns fans were not as loud and proud during the game.
In my case it's PTSD
You're sitting there waiting for the inevitable
Yelling encouragement to a team that has routinely let you down for 15 years becomes an exercise in futile insanity

In my case it's PTSD
You're sitting there waiting for the inevitable
Yelling encouragement to a team that has routinely let you down for 15 years becomes an exercise in futile insanity
Yeah that would be common. The pies have steam-rolled so many teams late in games recently I think most would have expected them to win once they hit the front.

yeh i was loud all game, but as they piled on 5 in row or whatever it was i went back into my shell and waited for the inevitable. but when long scored i was much louder than earlier in the game and again when benny kicked the final.

yeh i was loud all game, but as they piled on 5 in row or whatever it was i went back into my shell and waited for the inevitable. but when long scored i was much louder than earlier in the game and again when benny kicked the final.
Oh yeah we were up and about after Long's goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back