Preview Round 17 - Essendon VS Collingwood, MCG, Friday 5/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott on AFL 360 saying they will be looking at the structure and changing this around in the next month.

My read on it is they won’t be going with the two rucks this week.
Good because Goldstein, Draper and Wright can barely hang onto marks. If they were able to take a ton of contested marks, then that would've offset the lack of forward pressure but the amount of times it just bounces out of their hands is ridiculous.

Shiel is a lock IMO. Thought he looked mentally hungry.

Scott said the Bombers were not locked into a two-ruck structure ahead of Friday night’s blockbuster clash against Collingwood, but he doubled down on his comments after the Cats loss that fielding a taller side had not hurt his team.

He said experienced midfielder Dylan Shiel was “right in calculations” to play just his second game of the season after he had 33 disposals and six clearances in the Bombers’ VFL win over the Magpies on Saturday.

“I thought he looked like the Dylan Shiel we all know and love on the weekend in the VFL, I thought it was his best performance for the year,” Scott said.

“He’s had some injuries which have been really frustrating for him and have limited his ability to play to his strengths, but he’s over that now and he looks really solid … I was rapt with the way he played.”
I actually don't mind having Shiel in the side. Shiel and Caddy in for Menzie and Goldstein.

Our first half of the game I thought we were in control without getting the goals on the scoreboard. Our forward line is our biggest issue. We definitely need more speed in the forward line.
Unfortunately we gave up in the second half. Playing under the roof for half our Melbourne games doesn’t help us either in the wet conditions.
100% agree. We end up like spoiled kids.

Might be being a bit harsh, but I really want to see Perkins dropped. He reminded me of a spoilt kid on the weekend.

I’m still a huge fan and am close to certain he’ll be an important player for us going forward, but his body language/demeanor and just the way he played looked off. I’d love to see him earn his spot back after a couple of weeks in the twos
Yep. I'd prefer Hobbs or Shiel or both. Perkins needs to play VFL and find a defensive side to his game. He's been pure vanilla.

Scott on AFL 360 saying they will be looking at the structure and changing this around in the next month.

My read on it is they won’t be going with the two rucks this week.
It's a quibble maybe, but I wish we'd used the bye to tinker with structure and reinforce roles. The forwards are a shemozzle and although Jones has looked good on the wing he's still learning. And Martin needs to be forward of centre again. Engagements are nice and everything...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a quibble maybe, but I wish we'd used the bye to tinker with structure and reinforce roles. The forwards are a shemozzle and although Jones has looked good on the wing he's still learning. And Martin needs to be forward of centre again. Engagements are nice and everything...

Martin/Dursma/Jones feels like the 1st set of wing players is pretty set going forward.

Just need to find another HB but aside from that Def looks pretty good too.

Mids/Forwards/Rucks look to be the major needs that need fixing

Well Sheil + Setters into the midfield (alongside Calders, Zach and Duz) instantly makes that group more competitive.
Didn't Essendon have Sheil and Setters in the midfield at the start of last year and we went very well?

I'd assume these two aren't in our long term plans. Sheil likely to leave and Setters just too injury prone to be relied upon. But if they're both ready to go, it would make a bit of sense. Just as long as it's cohesive.

Pies should have lots of best 22 missing:
McCreery
Elliot
Noble
Cox
Mitchell
JDaicos (?)
Maynard (I thought going into concussion protocols prohibited them from playing the following week?)

Confidence strangely returning.

DO YOU EVEN KNOW ESSENDON?!?!?!!??

Didn't Essendon have Sheil and Setters in the midfield at the start of last year and we went very well?

I'd assume these two aren't in our long term plans. Sheil likely to leave and Setters just too injury prone to be relied upon. But if they're both ready to go, it would make a bit of sense. Just as long as it's cohesive.
Not Shiel but yes Setterfield. Start of year we had Perkins in good form, Setters fit, Caldwell, Durham, Zach as our main midfield group.
Then when Setters and Perkins went down we had hobbs/Parish integrated into team so their losses weren't felt as badly.

We then had perkins come back very rusty at same time parish/Hobbs got injured with Setterfield still injured/rusty in same period. This is when the midfield output started to drop as too much was left to Merrett/Caldwell/Durham.

Shiel has only played one game as sub I believe.

Now Darcy Moore seems a decent chap and in no way were they deliberate but maybe needs to re-assess the way he flies for marks…injured Petracca and now Witts with nasty vertebrae injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back