Preview Round 17 - Essendon VS Collingwood, MCG, Friday 5/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. Im not talking about a permanent move back. He's played wing well before. And he's not in form forward. Keeps the opposition guessing and could help him get his hands on the ball for a qtr or half.

I suspect it's more Langford carrying something than him being out of form. He looked more mobile last weekend than he has for a while IMO. Reckon that hip knock against the Suns wasn't just a sore hip.

Or teams are putting more work into him since he became a 50 goal pure forward. Or he's out of form.

He was going pretty well prior to the Suns game, only the Power game (0 goals) and North (1 goals and basically nonexistent others) weren't great.

Was going at 2.5 goals / game up until the Suns where he got subbed out with that hip knock which would have 3rd in the Coleman. Only 0.75 after that.

Why would we move duursma off a wing to play half back

Hepp has been playing HB so someone needs to fill that role.

Dursma is a better user than Kelly and has been a back half user as part of his wing role.

Having Marto/Redders/Dursma/McGrath all rotating through HB ensures a good user on both sides of the field in that spot at all times. Which allows easier/better use of HB and the ability to play front half footy.

Jones/Cox/Kelly are all poor/average users of the ball but good wings. Having those 3 all play the thankless wing role (one on each side) where they run away from the ball and defend space or provide a marking target best suits there skill sets

It also gets our HFS more involved which has been an issue so far this year

He was going pretty well prior to the Suns game, only the Power game (0 goals) and North (1 goals and basically nonexistent others) weren't great.

Was going at 2.5 goals / game up until the Suns where he got subbed out with that hip knock which would have 3rd in the Coleman. Only 0.75 after that.
Even though he kicked a few against the tigers I thought he wasnt himself that night, he popped up when we needed him though.

Yeah same. I can see both outcomes happening quite easily atm and I wouldn't be surprised by either.
I was weirdly more nervous last week. They always finish our season. I know the end result was a big win to them but we threw a lot of punches for 2.5 quarters before capitulating....usually we capitulate from the first minute against the cats.
Small improvements! :D

This week everyone is writing us off so theres less pressure, Im more curious rather than nervous to see how we respond.

Im not saying its not possible he has an injury. But whether thats the case or not he is definitely not in form right now. Moving him up the ground for a qtr or half to take a few marks on the lead and hit a few targets (beautiful field kick) is something i wouldn't mind seeing us try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand I'm thinking we are going to come out firing and rip these pricks apart. On the other, I remember Essington. So I don't know. Quite a dilemma.

Nailed it. I think tonight tells a lot about how the rest of the season plays out. We are getting into territory where we usually start falling apart. Carrying more injuries, wear and tear of the season, and just generally dropping our bundle more. Who comes out tonight? Essendon, or Essington? After last week, I wouldn't be surprised by either. But am kind of resigned to Essington.

Yeah same. I can see both outcomes happening quite easily atm and I wouldn't be surprised by either.

Only one of the outcomes in a constant in reality.

We havent ripped anyone apart yet. So id be surprised to see it happen.

We all know what will likely happen. Hope just makes you think the opposite is could also happen.

Hope is a campaigner of a thing.

To be honest though, if we made illegal disposal a thing again and made it as black and white as we can it would speed the game up. More frees which means less congestion.

In a similar vein I’d love to see holding and in the back policed more closely in general play. How often is the guy who’s first the footy just tackled before he can gather the ball or shoved in the back.

Start being tighter on those rules and the guy picking the ball up will have more time to actually use the ball which will prevent slogs/stoppage fests

Last week was the loss we had to have.

We were getting called out by everyone on who we'd beaten to be sitting 2nd on the ladder. Geelong was a test that exposed us badly. No different to last year, but provided great data on what we need to fix.

Selection changes, tighten up through the middle and an facing injured Pies team - we should only improve tonight. We do need to kick a score.

Hepp has been playing HB so someone needs to fill that role.

Dursma is a better user than Kelly and has been a back half user as part of his wing role.

Having Marto/Redders/Dursma/McGrath all rotating through HB ensures a good user on both sides of the field in that spot at all times. Which allows easier/better use of HB and the ability to play front half footy.

Jones/Cox/Kelly are all poor/average users of the ball but good wings. Having those 3 all play the thankless wing role (one on each side) where they run away from the ball and defend space or provide a marking target best suits there skill sets

It also gets our HFS more involved which has been an issue so far this year
Duursma isn’t that good of user though. Duursmas running up and down the ground to cover for us it’s crucial. Watching him live glide across the ground effortlessly you can just see how important he is to us. He gets taken off the wing it’s a massive loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back