Game Day Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are a few in the media and general public who believe we are not a strong premier. That our success last year was fortunate.

There is little recognition of the obstacles we overcame. Such as losing Nick for a significant time, losing Adams and McStay during the finals.

Clowns like Cornes, Lewis, Jonno Brown and Hodge are lining up to proclaim our demise.

I hope to see an angry Collingwood side on Friday night. Ready to make a statement that we intend to defend our position as premier with everything we’ve got.
Lewis said on 360 last night he believes we’ll miss the 8. No awareness for the injury tribulations that have contributed to recent performances. Just the assumption that we’ll continue to struggle - unbelievably poor insight.

Last edited:

Essendon going tall in their forward line to stretch us.
I think they are actually going smaller after last week's debacle.

They had 2 ruckman and Wright last week and the Cats just waltzed out of defence. It looks like they are dropping one of the rucks (likely Goldstein).

Lewis said on 360 last night he believes we’ll miss the 8. No awareness for the injury tribulations that have contributed to recent performances. Just the assumption that we’ll continue to struggle - unbelievably such poor insight.

The campaigner still thinks we'll miss the 8 in 2023.

What hairpiece Lewis wants and what will actually occur are 2 very different things.

I reckon we’ll win the next four comfortably.

Then the Blues await.
I like your positive outlook, but what are you basing that off? Even with blokes back this week, we were deplorable for all but thirty minutes. Not nay-saying, I wasn't exactly positive myself after the loss on Saturday night, but I'd love some certainty we can actually reach the top of the mountain again.

Maybe it was the bye, maybe blokes are disinterested, maybe it takes a few weeks for blokes back from injury to get used to the game style again with the others who have played for weeks. I am still F-ing devastated to lose to the Suns, though. Completely unexpected and unnecessary.

That said, I'll be driving to and fro, so won't see any of the game. I'll leave the outcome to the safe hands of those such as yourself, who are refreshingly more optimistic, than I am :thumbsu:

I like your positive outlook, but what are you basing that off? Even with blokes back this week, we were deplorable for all but thirty minutes. Not nay-saying, I wasn't exactly positive myself after the loss on Saturday night, but I'd love some certainty we can actually reach the top of the mountain again.

Maybe it was the bye, maybe blokes are disinterested, maybe it takes a few weeks for blokes back from injury to get used to the game style again with the others who have played for weeks. I am still F-ing devastated to lose to the Suns, though. Completely unexpected and unnecessary.

That said, I'll be driving to and fro, so won't see any of the game. I'll leave the outcome to the safe hands of those such as yourself, who are refreshingly more optimistic, than I am :thumbsu:
If you think the Suns loss was completely unexpected you are not a serious footy fan. They are red hot up there and they are stacked with talent. We had six changes and class players still missing. No surprise. Still disappointing.

If you think the Suns loss was completely unexpected you are not a serious footy fan. They are red hot up there and they are stacked with talent. We had six changes and class players still missing. No surprise. Still disappointing.
Yeah, that was one of my points. Might take a few weeks for blokes to gel. If we want to make the four, and avoid Sydney, we might have to get on our bikes more quickly.

I am definitely not coming around here all doom and gloom, just trying to rationalise the loss in my own mind. By unexpected, I meant we were keeping up with them early, then let them steal it late, and we seemed totally OFF the boil. It was like the Hawks loss late in the year last year, after which Fly recognised a genuine issue and rectified it.

Hopefully we turn the corner this week. I believe we have the Blues the week after? They are going to be absolutely pumped for that match. I think we might still have their measure, but I definitely want to avoid getting ahead of myself, since even stomaching footy this week, is messing with my head. That's my own issue, but I'd love the boys to get back some form. I am sure we came off a draw Anzac Day and still beat the Blues in form, so we could very well do it again. Then we would be flying :praying:

Real shame about Beau. He has some form against the Bombers over the stretch. Whoever they bring in, I'm sure Fly knows what he is doing.

I saw this comment on the Essendon board (by an Essendon supporter) and felt enormous pride in being a Collingwood supporter. I happen to agree with it.

I maintain that no one in the competition can handle injuries more than Collingwood. I swear that club constantly plays above their talent. It's like being a Collingwood player makes them put together a win through the strong desire to win alone.

Against the Suns? 1.1 to 4.4 in the 2nd term is where we lost it. The we were deplorable for 3 quarters is rubbish.

The Suns are playing like champions at home and we were in front with a few mins on the clock.

Do we need to find more consistency? Absolutely. I hope we come out tomorrow night and blow these campaigners away for 4 quarters.

I saw this comment on the Essendon board (by an Essendon supporter) and felt enormous pride in being a Collingwood supporter. I happen to agree with it.

I maintain that no one in the competition can handle injuries more than Collingwood. I swear that club constantly plays above their talent. It's like being a Collingwood player makes them put together a win through the strong desire to win alone.
Ha, I just read that too. I had to re-read it a few times to make sure I hadn't missed any hidden sarcasm.

I guess 'club constantly plays above their talent' could be seen as a bit of a backhanded compliment 🥴

Against the Suns? 1.1 to 4.4 in the 2nd term is where we lost it. The we were deplorable for 3 quarters is rubbish.
The middle two quarters is where we lost it, though. Look, won't argue with you BB. Whatever happened, was still concerning. However, I will totally yield to the more optimistic opinion that we have had one bad trot and there is plenty of room for improvement tomorrow night.

However, why did we concede those 4 goals, of which were late too? We seemed to be holding up the dam wall for the good part of that second quarter, only to let them wheel away to what ended up being what was too bigger margin than it ought to have been. What was the reason why we couldn't get any goals ourselves?

Only looking for discussion. Trying to get pumped up to find some hope against the Bombers. They've been rubbish, the Bombers, but every team seems to get a hard on for us. Would love for us to get a hold of them, and get our mojo back.

domus re your comment regarding the Essendon supporter, you can see the envy oozing from his fingers behind the keyboard. I guess it must suck that if they copped one injury to one of their mediocre players, they'd plummet back to irrelevancy.

jmac70 I might be with you on the next four, mate. Seems we don't have the Blues for five weeks. The Hawks game is going to be tough, because they are surging for finals. Fcuk, now I am letting my optimism get ahead of me, because of the permutations.

Geelong have been awful, so maybe the game last week illustrates just how bad Essendon is? We need:

• The Giants to get a hold of the Blues (possible chance)
  • The Dogs to get a hold of the Power (definite chance)
  • Richmond to cause an upset of the Dockers (probably no chance)

We'd be top four if we get the job done against the Bombers. Phew. It'd be nice for us to get back on track. Come on Maggies...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns are playing like champions at home and we were in front with a few mins on the clock.

Do we need to find more consistency? Absolutely. I hope we come out tomorrow night and blow these campaigners away for 4 quarters.
Agree. I thought our first qtr was fine. And the last qtr comeback is what we've come to expect.

Here's to at least 3 good qtrs, hopefully 4 good qtrs from us tomorrow night for a nice comfy win. If we bring the pressure, double/triple gang tackling & our goal kicking is on song .. it should all be fine 🙏

Essendon are likely to only be missing Parish from their best 23.

Outside of the return game last year they have pushed us to the limit during our time under Fly.

Meanwhile McCreery, Noble and probably Josh will join the ranks of those sidelined for us.

All the pressure should be on Essendon to win, they should be favourites.

I hope they drown in a pool of expectation.

The middle two quarters is where we lost it, though. Look, won't argue with you BB. Whatever happened, was still concerning. However, I will totally yield to the more optimistic opinion that we have had one bad trot and there is plenty of room for improvement tomorrow night.

However, why did we concede those 4 goals, of which were late too? We seemed to be holding up the dam wall for the good part of that second quarter, only to let them wheel away to what ended up being what was too bigger margin than it ought to have been. What was the reason why we couldn't get any goals ourselves?

Only looking for discussion. Trying to get pumped up to find some hope against the Bombers. They've been rubbish, the Bombers, but every team seems to get a hard on for us. Would love for us to get a hold of them, and get our mojo back.

domus re your comment regarding the Essendon supporter, you can see the envy oozing from his fingers behind the keyboard. I guess it must suck that if they copped one injury to one of their mediocre players, they'd plummet back to irrelevancy.

jmac70 I might be with you on the next four, mate. Seems we don't have the Blues for five weeks. The Hawks game is going to be tough, because they are surging for finals. Fcuk, now I am letting my optimism get ahead of me, because of the permutations.

Geelong have been awful, so maybe the game last week illustrates just how bad Essendon is? We need:

• The Giants to get a hold of the Blues (possible chance)
  • The Dogs to get a hold of the Power (definite chance)
  • Richmond to cause an upset of the Dockers (probably no chance)

We'd be top four if we get the job done against the Bombers. Phew. It'd be nice for us to get back on track. Come on Maggies...
As pointed out on SEN this morning, Dockers v Tigers is the match of the round. Which of the only 2 teams to beat Sydney will prevail. ;)

Essendon are likely to only be missing Parish from their best 23.

Outside of the return game last year they have pushed us to the limit during our time under Fly.

Meanwhile McCreery, Noble and probably Josh will join the ranks of those sidelined for us.

All the pressure should be on Essendon to win, they should be favourites.

I hope they drown in a pool of expectation.
Parish always plays well against us for some reason, I'm glad he isn't playing

Ha, I just read that too. I had to re-read it a few times to make sure I hadn't missed any hidden sarcasm.

I guess 'club constantly plays above their talent' could be seen as a bit of a backhanded compliment 🥴
It is a compliment. It's saying our boys have heart and passion unmatched by the other clubs. I happen to believe this is more than fanciful rhetoric. I don't know if there has ever been a statistical breakdown on the points deficit in defeat for each club throughout their entire history, but I would be very surprised if we were not at the top of the table for copping the least floggings.

They always go on about the Shinboner Spirit as they cop hiding after hiding even in times when they played finals footy, while our boys play their hearts out even when we are cellar dwellers. In 76 we finished last but with the best winning record and percentage of any team to get the wooden spoon and of course the following year we drew in the grand final.

From 85 to 87 we never played finals footy but again-we were competitive.

99 was the same. I recall pushing the Bombers and Blues who were in their prime and losing by a three or four goal margins in that dark period in 99 and again in 2005 after a two and a half quarter arm wrestle. I know Carlton gave us a couple of hidings, one at Princess Park during that era and another at the G, but that was a rarity. We rarely cop a flogging like Geelong did earlier this year or many other teams like Freo (currently third) have copped in 2024.

I hope I haven't jinxed the boys but it's important to acknowledge how much bang for buck we get following this mighty club.

Last edited:
It is a compliment. It's saying our boys have heart and passion unmatched by the other clubs. I happen to believe this is more than fanciful rhetoric. I don't know if there has ever been a statistical breakdown on the points deficit in defeat for each club throughout their entire history, but I would be very surprised if we were not at the top of the table for copping the least floggings.

They always go on about the Shinboner Spirit as they cop hiding after hiding even in times when they played finals footy, while our boys play their hearts out even when we are cellar dwellers. In 76 we finished last but with the best winning record and percentage of any team to get the wooden spoon and of course the following year we drew in the grand final.

99 was the same. I recall pushing the Bombers and Blues who were in their prime and losing by a three or four goal margin after a two and a half quarter arm wrestle. We rarely cop a flogging like Geelong did earlier this year or many other teams like Freo (currently third) have copped in 2024.

I hope I haven't jinxed the boys but it's important to acknowledge how much bang for buck we get following this mighty club.
If we lose, it’s your fault.

Very funny stuff happening out at Tullamarine Panicking at selection apparently- might be dropping 4 or 5 players

Think they have forgotten how to make and win finals

Very funny stuff happening out at Tullamarine Panicking at selection apparently- might be dropping 4 or 5 players

Think they have forgotten how to make and win finals
Let’s hope it’s still funny at 10:30pm tomorrow night.

From 85 to 87 we never played finals footy but again-we were competitive.

99 was the same. I recall pushing the Bombers and Blues who were in their prime and losing by a three or four goal margins in that dark period in 99 and again in 2005 after a two and a half quarter arm wrestle. I know Carlton gave us a couple of hidings, one at Princess Park during that era and another at the G, but that was a rarity. We rarely cop a flogging like Geelong did earlier this year or many other teams like Freo (currently third) have copped in 2024.

Yeah I was being facetious. I understand what was said 😉

I still think it was a bit of a swipe with the 'playing above our talent' comment though.

Had a dream a while back that we had the dons by about 60 points, and were behind the Blues by three goals mid game. Who knows how that turns out, but had a dream we played the lions in a granny, and it came true. Right down the the warm day 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back