Game Day Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but Macrae has said that kicking skills aren’t a priority…we play a chaos ball style, just keep the ball moving forward and apply pressure.

If he can extract the ball and tackle, that’s his job done. That’s all Taylor Adam’s did.
Macrae is a player.
McRae is the coach.

Given where we look injury-wise with Josh & knowing Long is playing, revised changes.

OUT: J. Daicos - McCreery - Noble
IN: Long - Schultz - Dean

FB: Dean - Frampton - Maynard
HB: Quaynor - Moore - N. Daicos
C: Lipinski - De Goey - Sidebottom
HF: Richards - Mihocek - Howe
FF: Hill - Kreuger - Schultz
FOLL: Cameron - Crisp - Pendlebury
INT: Hoskin-Elliott - Long - Markov - Harrison
SUB: Sullivan

Nick to half-back to generate some attack from the back half without Noble (& Josh, to an extent). Howe plays up forward to ensure we have that link up 3rd tall forward at all times, whether it's Howe or WHE. De Goey plays more midfield with Schultz back in.

Doesn’t matter who usually tags.
Nick is a totally different beast to tag.

Only 2 methods work:

Big bodied at stoppage make sure he can’t get on the move and force body contact (e.g Bont against bulldogs)
Or
fast paced and try and keep up with him to stop the overlap (e.g serong vs Freo).

Nick has now countered the first tagging method by standing 25M away from the bounce. Then taking off. Which prohibits the big bodies engaging him and keeping him stationary.

As for JDG….hes been very poor in the middle this year playing second fiddle to Nick. He’s far more dangerous up fwd (when Nick plays middle).

But if you move Nick out of the CB, then jordy is straight in. Being the main man in there may help him turn his inside game around.

Where Jordy plays will be dependant of what they do with Nick.
The absence of Mitchell who frequently hands off to JDG has also contributed to his lack of impact in the midfield.

I don’t think Josh will play.
Here is my team, still good enough to get the four points.

IQ Billy Dean
Bruz Darcy WHE
Steele Pendles Lipinski File
JDG Howe HH
Norm Checkers Sarg

Foll: Cam Nick Crispy
Int: Reef, Krueger, Richards, Markov
Sub: The Sullivans

Yep, he looked shithouse on the track yesterday. Tough as nails so i wouldn't rule him out. He's a huge loss, no 2 ways about it.

The absence of Mitchell who frequently hands off to JDG has also contributed to his lack of impact in the midfield.
Jordy hasn’t played in the midfield since Anzac Day - which is the game you could see he wasn’t moving well.

The two games before that against Hawthorn then Port Adelaide he played great footy and was at the top of the coaches votes in both.

He’s only played 2 games since as a high half forward and hasn’t been in the midfield other than a couple of centre bounces. So, he was having significant impact prior to injury.

Not surprised to see Long come in, the midfield looked a little beaten up and outnumbered last week.

We lacked serious heat around the footy last week. Long is hopefully the man for the job. It seems like Sully will make way for him.

The bloke we need a huge game from is Markov. In the absence of Noble, we really need some run and carry from the likes of Markov and also IQ.

Agree with the Mids looking beaten up.

We know what dons will do with Nick (100% tag).

So I'd actually consider giving the Dons a different look in Q1 and see how they respond.

With Shultz back, i'd send JDG into the middle with Crisp & Long and send Nick to HB to replace Noble.

See what the Dons do for Q1.
Let them play a fwd down (given they have to hard tag him wherever he goes).
Suspect if Nick goes to HB...Hind is getting that job due to his pace.

If that's not working, send Markov or WHE into that role and move Nick to where he's needed.

Side effect might be to re-invigorate Jordy being the main man in the middle again.

Hope the MC are at least talking about this setup.

They're a side that lacks a proper tagger though, unless Merrett sacrifices his own game which would actually suit us.

sullivan isn't up to it and unfortunately ..sullivan tries hard and is obviously a very good vfl player but doesn't have enough tricks and attributes at this level IMO..his decision making and initial movements are slow which is fatal at this level for senior mid

Can’t expect a whole lot from a player who has only played 8 AFL games. (We’ve won 5, lost 2 and drawn 1 of those)

By comparison Tom Mitchell has played 203 games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Nick dominates again so AFL media posts remain full of people crying about him.
Read a post on a AFL site where it was asked if Nick was the most ‘triggering’ player of the modern era. Unlike other relatively recent young greats (GAJ, Judd etc) he’s arrived during peak social media, where the hate just pours out unfettered. There must be millions of negative posts out there about him, representing so much wasted time and angst for the posters trying to get him out of their collective thick skulls.

Read a post on a AFL site where it was asked if Nick was the most ‘triggering’ player of the modern era. Unlike other relatively recent young greats (GAJ, Judd etc) he’s arrived during peak social media, where the hate just pours out unfettered. There must be millions of negative posts out there about him, representing so much wasted time and angst for the posters trying to get him out of their collective thick skulls.

Daicos, Collingwood and an immediate superstar.

that will trigger almost every supporter base.

how good is that lol

Last edited:
I think there are a few in the media and general public who believe we are not a strong premier. That our success last year was fortunate.

There is little recognition of the obstacles we overcame. Such as losing Nick for a significant time, losing Adams and McStay during the finals.

Clowns like Cornes, Lewis, Jonno Brown and Hodge are lining up to proclaim our demise.

I hope to see an angry Collingwood side on Friday night. Ready to make a statement that we intend to defend our position as premier with everything we’ve got.

Social media is about (hash) tagging him off the field too :p

I think there are a few in the media and general public who believe we are not a strong premier. That our success last year was fortunate.

There is little recognition of the obstacles we overcame. Such as losing Nick for a significant time, losing Adams and McStay during the finals.

Clowns like Cornes, Lewis, Jonno Brown and Hodge are lining up to proclaim our demise.

I hope to see an angry Collingwood side on Friday night. Ready to make a statement that we intend to defend our position as premier with everything we’ve got.
I still remember post R21 last year after the Hawks loss and Nick hurt his knee (and Moore was injured) everyone was writing us off.

The Dons this year are an average good team, IMO this could be like the Dees game, a game we could win based on how we play not who plays.

It’s just Collingwood hate.
It’s not fortunate when you finish top of the ladder comfortably and have backed that up with a top 4 finish the year before, missing a GF spot by the tiniest of margins.
This side is capable of pushing again this year, it needs to start tomorrow night!

Can’t expect a whole lot from a player who has only played 8 AFL games. (We’ve won 5, lost 2 and drawn 1 of those)

By comparison Tom Mitchell has played 203 games.
We are trying to win back to back so when Mitchell comes back Sullivan goes out IMO
Can’t just get games into players for development as to where we are at this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back