Autopsy Round 17 vs Port Adelaide Power @ Oval of Adelaide - 08/07/23 - 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

GIF by FirstAndMonday

11MqBu3.png

Looks like their number 1 ruck Lycett could be out for this game and that was a big part of the reason Essendon were able to push them. My understanding is they don't really have another ruckman that's up to AFL standard so this could be a huge game for Witta. If Andrew Phillips can get 33 hitouts on a Lycett-less Port Adelaide then Witts could legitimately break the all-time hitouts record.

So it's very likely that we're going to get first use of the ball (like Essendon did) and then you add Touk Miller into the fold as well. Maybe, just maybe, there's hope.

11MqBu3.png

Looks like their number 1 ruck Lycett could be out for this game and that was a big part of the reason Essendon were able to push them. My understanding is they don't really have another ruckman that's up to AFL standard so this could be a huge game for Witta. If Andrew Phillips can get 33 hitouts on a Lycett-less Port Adelaide then Witts could legitimately break the all-time hitouts record.

So it's very likely that we're going to get first use of the ball (like Essendon did) and then you add Touk Miller into the fold as well. Maybe, just maybe, there's hope.
Depends if Witts feels like tapping it to our players or not. Hit-outs mean jack all if we don’t benefit from them.

Won the hitouts on Saturday and almost level in clearances. All well and good getting them but it's the quality of ball going inside 50 is what kills us. Port can be absolutely lethal by foot, just like Collingwood.
We get destroyed by any team that wants to move the ball with speed and skills.

Depends if Witts feels like tapping it to our players or not. Hit-outs mean jack all if we don’t benefit from them.
Won the hitouts on Saturday and almost level in clearances. All well and good getting them but it's the quality of ball going inside 50 is what kills us. Port can be absolutely lethal by foot, just like Collingwood.
We get destroyed by any team that wants to move the ball with speed and skills.
I think defensive accountability was a huge issue for us against Collingwood and I'd like to think adding a player that is probably the best two way runner in the competition back into our midfield will help in that regard. That's what I hope will happen if Touk is named. It seemed like every time we made a mistake against Collingwood, they always had the overlap and were able to punish us at the other end so clearly we need to improve in that area to have any chance. As has already been pointed out, our inside 50 entries were pretty ugly so that's obviously an area we need to be better in as well. I do think Collingwood's key defender combination of Moore and Howe (even Maynard at times) is better at shutting down opposition forwards than Port's combination of Aliir, McKenzie and Burton. For that reason I think our key forwards get more opportunities in this game and hopefully the i50 entries are more clean this time around.

I think defensive accountability was a huge issue for us against Collingwood and I'd like to think adding a player that is probably the best two way runner in the competition back into our midfield will help in that regard. That's what I hope will happen if Touk is named. It seemed like every time we made a mistake against Collingwood, they always had the overlap and were able to punish us at the other end so clearly we need to improve in that area to have any chance. As has already been pointed out, our inside 50 entries were pretty ugly so that's obviously an area we need to be better in as well. I do think Collingwood's key defender combination of Moore and Howe (even Maynard at times) is better at shutting down opposition forwards than Port's combination of Aliir, McKenzie and Burton. For that reason I think our key forwards get more opportunities in this game and hopefully the i50 entries are more clean this time around.
1 two way runner isn't going to fix what we saw on Saturday. It's a system issue. When teams get on a run we seem incapable of clamping down, and we allow teams to clear contests way to easily. All our clearances are hard work to get to the outside. Collingwood would be one handball to an outside runner and clear the ball with pace. We don't defend overlap runners well and if we get beaten on the inside we don't have a plan B for what to next.

I think the pies intensity caught us on the back foot after the bye then hawks game. Should be ready because port will dish up the same. Touk back if it happens won't fix everything but his defensive effort will be more than handy and maybe could rest forward to maybe create something for us. If witts is carrying an injury this wouldn't be a bad game for Moyle to play, he dominates state league rucks and that's all he'll be up against here. Looks like it will be wet and cold so perfect for a team under the pump and needing a tough gritty response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the pies intensity caught us on the back foot after the bye then hawks game. Should be ready because port will dish up the same. Touk back if it happens won't fix everything but his defensive effort will be more than handy and maybe could rest forward to maybe create something for us. If witts is carrying an injury this wouldn't be a bad game for Moyle to play, he dominates state league rucks and that's all he'll be up against here. Looks like it will be wet and cold so perfect for a team under the pump and needing a tough gritty response.
Touk is coming off a long lay-off. Not expecting miracles from him.

Whether it is Witts who just isn’t tapping to advantage (due to soreness or just poor form) or our mids not reading the tap or just a simple lack of communication… I dunno.

But several games this year it is obvious that our midfield is built around winning 1v1s, and when that doesn’t happen we get blown out.
Agree. Wouldn’t be surprised if Moyle comes in, especially with Lycett out for Port.
Maybe they take Chol to share the ruck duties with Witts. But yeah, Witts has been below his best for a few weeks now.
Yep, Witts is the lynchpin around how our midfield functions. If he isn’t playing well, it’s a big factor. Our mids have grown used to winning taps to win clearances.

Would love Chol to come back in and Casboult to go out. Chol offers a point of difference in the ruck as he is the athletic ruck, where Casboult is still sort of this strength based ruck.

I said it last week, and I’ll say it again this week.
If Dew thinks the key to success is predictably launching it on Kings head 50 times in a row allowing Aliir to control the game with his intercept and giving it to their fleet of small runners, then we are in big trouble here.

Please, just try lowering the eyes when we get the ball forward of centre. just once!

If Dew thinks the key to success is predictably launching it on Kings head 50 times in a row allowing Aliir to control the game with his intercept and giving it to their fleet of small runners, then we are in big trouble here.

Please, just try lowering the eyes when we get the ball forward of centre. just once!
We are talking about a bloke who is still running a 2016 Swans contested ball game plan.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Touk is coming off a long lay-off. Not expecting miracles from him.

Whether it is Witts who just isn’t tapping to advantage (due to soreness or just poor form) or our mids not reading the tap or just a simple lack of communication… I dunno.

But several games this year it is obvious that our midfield is built around winning 1v1s, and when that doesn’t happen we get blown out.

Yep, Witts is the lynchpin around how our midfield functions. If he isn’t playing well, it’s a big factor. Our mids have grown used to winning taps to win clearances.

Would love Chol to come back in and Casboult to go out. Chol offers a point of difference in the ruck as he is the athletic ruck, where Casboult is still sort of this strength based ruck.
Wittsy has never been a great tap to advantage ruck. Tends to hit to the ground at his feet and we somehow mange to snare a good percentage of them. Magpie mids read him perfectly and beat our mids to the ball. He's not taking those big marks around the ground at the moment and that's where he needs to pick up his game - maybe needs a rest? He can certainly get the ball and outreach most rucks - just needs to tap to advantage more often.

Hopefully king attempts to mark this week. Last week when going up for the ball just done like a flat double hand push away to the ball toward the ground scared of his defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17 vs Port Adelaide Power @ Oval of Adelaide - 08/07/23 - 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back