Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a solid win, pretty much went as I expected. Tigers put on a lot of pressure in the start of the game but couldn't run with us for the whole match and we eventually got out to a pretty comfortable win.

Happy with that effort from us, 6th on the ladder and set up well to attack the pointy end of the season.

That was a solid win, pretty much went as I expected. Tigers put on a lot of pressure in the start of the game but couldn't run with us for the whole match and we eventually got out to a pretty comfortable win.

Happy with that effort from us, 6th on the ladder and set up well to attack the pointy end of the season.
Yep. Job done in a physical contest.
Tough 6 weeks ahead to see if we're good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37 touches 10 turnovers is not butchering for an inside mid. Not knocking Ward as I love Cal. But in comparison Ward had 8 kicks 4 turnovers I rate cal think he has been wonderful player and is playing the wing role beautifully. Of the two Tom is our best midfielder
40% efficiency is low - even for an inside mid. 15 effective disposals is not a great game.

Not completely potting him because he’s a very good player, but today was not a game to make the highlight reels for him.

40% efficiency is low - even for an inside mid. 15 effective disposals is not a great game.

Not completely potting him because he’s a very good player, but today was not a game to make the highlight reels for him.
I will watch the replay to see if it does Tom any favours, but 11 Defensive half pressure acts, 17 contested possessions, 7 tackles and 5 score involvements suggests an influential game - despite the lack of efficiency.

I will watch the replay to see if it does Tom any favours, but 11 Defensive half pressure acts, 17 contested possessions, 7 tackles and 5 score involvements suggests an influential game - despite the lack of efficiency.
Never said he didn’t do some good stuff, never said he wasn’t influential, just not as convinced as some that he was even close to BOG.

In the context of this being our first game of the season down at the 'G, it being a damp field and playing the Tigers which we've never won against at the 'G. Pretty happy with the win. Third win of the H&A season at the 'G this decade.

Played much better on a damp field than they have previously which was pleasing to see some clinical moments of game play from us but reckon we could finesse it further.

Hogan - 4 goals (Keeps bringing it and keeping his Coleman contention alive), Greene - 4 goals (you beauty TFG!! Think it may be the highest in a game this season?), Ward - 2 (such a joy watching Ward these last two games) and Briggs - 1 - Briggs' first goal this season!!! :D

Felt like we turned the ball over far too easily/often with silly mistakes but the stats don't seem so bad but reckon could've had a number more shots on goal had we not turned it over but alas.

Lots of learnings to take from this game to prepare to play at the 'G again in two weeks against the Dees. Really need to lift for that game because I don't think we'll get over the line unless we really lift.

Will turn our sights to GC at home next week for our second last game of the season at home.

Last edited:
In the context of this being our first game of the season down at the 'G, it being a damp field and playing the Tigers which we've never won against at the 'G. Pretty happy with the win. Third win of the H&A season at the 'G this decade.

Hogan - 4 goals (Keeps bringing it and keeping his Coleman contention alive), Greene - 4 goals (you beauty TFG!! Think it may be the highest in a game this season?), Ward - 2 (such a joy watching Ward these last two games) and Briggs - 1 - Briggs' first goal this season!!! :D

Felt like we turned the ball over far too easily/often with silly mistakes but the stats don't seem so bad but reckon could've had a number more shots on goal had we not turned it over but alas.

Lots of learnings to take from this game to prepare to play at the 'G again in two weeks against the Dees. Really need to lift for that game because I don't think we'll get over the line unless we really lift.

Will turn our sights to GC at home next week for our second last game of the season at home.
All we need is a dry track and the flag is ours 👀👀

All we need is a dry track and the flag is ours 👀👀
No comment 😅

What I will say is that last night in the Dees post-match interview last night the Dees said they have been training for wet weather conditions and also with a soapy ball.

Earlier this season Kinglsey said he wasn't going to train with a soapy ball (can't recall which wet game loss)...not sure if that would've made a difference for us earlier in the season but I did ponder for a moment 🙊

Adam Kingsley was pleased the GIANTS came away from a "danger game" against Richmond with a win, but wants to see more from his team.

Toby Greene rediscovered his creative best as the GIANTS surged back into the top eight with a 24-point win at the MCG on Sunday.

The captain kicked four goals, as did Jesse Hogan, and also had 10 score involvements and four goal assists.

Kingsley was pleased with an important win for the GIANTS, but said having just 36 inside 50s highlighted there was room for improvement.

"It was a real danger game for us, so it was nice to get the win, but there were aspects of our game that we didn't quite get right," Kingsley said.

"Our ball use from the back half had moments but we only generated 36 inside 50s (to Richmond's 53), which is extraordinarily low.

"We didn't give our forwards ample opportunity to really score, so we were fortunate that we did make the most of our entries and kicked very accurately."

Greene and Hogan dominated up forward, while Tom Green (37 disposals) and Lachie Whitfield (35) were also influential.

Kingsley was happy with the way his side created good opportunities for its forwards when it did get inside 50.

"They (Greene and Hogan) are both very good players and very good finishers," he said.

"Toby was outstanding early, not only creating goals but also contributing and getting the ball moving through the midfield.

"Jesse finished his work off in the second half and probably reaped the rewards of us trying to create some better shots and squaring up from the boundary line.

"I was really pleased with that aspect of our game."

There is some concern over Stephen Coniglio, who was substituted out of his third game back from a shoulder injury with soreness in the joint.

It was the GIANTS' first visit to the MCG this season and first win over Richmond at the venue from eight attempts since their 2012 inception.

A fourth straight defeat left the Tigers (2-15) anchored to the foot of the ladder, and they lost Tim Taranto to concussion late in the game as the result of a tackle from tagger Toby Bedford.

Kingsley was unsure when asked if he was worried Bedford could be in trouble over the incident.

"I haven't watched the replay, I saw it live, but it didn't feel like he drove him (into the ground), slung him or anything like that," Kingsley said.

"It's hard to say (what will come of it). I really don't know.

"We'll keep our fingers crossed and see how we go."

We pushed the handball too much today. That lead to turnovers and scored against too easily on the rebound.
It was pretty slippery out there. It’s like they don’t even discuss how to manage their gamestyle in different conditions.
My thoughts as well.

I was watching the game thinking, I have concerns (thinking this would have been resolved by now)...

It's not as though we have had a shortage of wet / damp games to not have plenty of opportunities to polish up our wet weather game play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back