Preview Round 14 2024 - GWS Giants v Port Adelaide, Sunday 16 June, 4.00 pm AEST @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow's training run is important for Kelly and Buckley to prove their fitness.

So we have 8 players names as interchange that needs to be reduced to 5 for game day.

For me: Xavier O’Halloran, Jack Buckley, Josh Kelly and Max Gruzewski would be certainties (naming Gruzewski and him not playing doesn't make sense).

That leaves: James Peatling, Harvey Thomas, Aaron Cadman and Toby McMullin.

My guess would be Thomas makes the final 5 with Buckley as sub (Edit: had a rethink).

We do seem very tall down back.
Dropping Cadman for a debutant in Gruzewski is quite a statement.

Dropping Cadman for a debutant in Gruzewski is quite a statement.

It certainly would be.

I'm struggling to understand why Gruzewski would be named in the side if he's not playing. Looking at the interchange list as announced, the only like-for-like would be Cadman.

Cadman's recent record:
Rd8 - 2 goals, 6 disposals
Rd9 - 0 goals, 5 disposals
Rd10 - 0 goals, 6 disposals
Rd11 - 1 goal, 5 disposals
Rd12 Bye
Rd13 - 2 goals, 5 disposals

That's not exactly setting the world on fire, but as you said, it'll be some move.

Makes me think there might be some late changes due to unannounced injuries.

The balance of the listed side and looking at the players on the interchange just doesn't seem right.

It certainly would be.

I'm struggling to understand why Gruzewski would be named in the side if he's not playing. Looking at the interchange list as announced, the only like-for-like would be Cadman.
Because it's a Sunday game, so all the emergencies get named "in the side". It's not even like Gruz is named on the field.

Because it's a Sunday game, so all the emergencies get named "in the side". It's not even like Gruz is named on the field.
That's my assumption.

If that's the case then I'd expect Gruzewski, McMullin and Peatling will be the ones omitted from the extended interchange.

That's my assumption.

If that's the case then I'd expect Gruzewski, McMullin and Peatling will be the ones omitted from the extended interchange.
That’s what I think too especially for Gruzewski. Our club likes to spotlight players who debut, and video the reactions of the debutant calling their parents to break the good news. Happy to be wrong as I think he deserves it and there is still time, but I doubt that G will make his debut this weekend.

Updated squad:

FB: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Nick Haynes
C: Ryan Angwin, Tom Green, Josh Kelly
HF: Brent Daniels, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Callum Brown
RR: Kieren Briggs, Finn Callaghan, Callan Ward

Interchange: Leek Aleer, Xavier O’Halloran, Harvey Thomas, Aaron Cadman, Toby McMullin

In: Josh Kelly, Jack Buckley
Out: Jacob Wehr, James Peatling (omitted)

Emergencies: James Peatling, Jacob Wehr, Max Gruzewski

Can see what everyone was saying about Gruz's inclusion.

Was thinking a shock change might be a catalyst to snap the team out of its malaise, but perhaps Kelly and Buckley back in might do it.

I'm still of the belief that it's a warning shot for Cadman and perhaps Brown after last week's disappointing return from suspension.

Just having him in the extended squad might be a psychological kick up the bum for the forward line.

Can see what everyone was saying about Gruz's inclusion.

Was thinking a shock change might be a catalyst to snap the team out of its malaise, but perhaps Kelly and Buckley back in might do it.

I'm still of the belief that it's a warning shot for Cadman and perhaps Brown after last week's disappointing return from suspension.

Just having him in the extended squad might be a psychological kick up the bum for the forward line.
I think we should have a tall as Sub. Otherwise we are just too tall , short of midfielders though.
Nick Haynes lucky in my view.

Again with a Peatling omission - our third best rated player, game high 10 tackles & a goal, respectable DE for a mid. I just don’t get it. What’s he doing wrong?
His contract also expires this year…would have thought as one of the very few Western Sydney local, we would have wanted to play him especially given his recent stats?

Again with a Peatling omission - our third best rated player, game high 10 tackles & a goal, respectable DE for a mid. I just don’t get it. What’s he doing wrong?
I think his decision making and disposal efficiency is the problem. I like him, he puts in heaps of effort and attacks everything. But at 72% his DE was pretty bad. That's more than 1 in 4 disposals going awry. It's not great and ends up putting a lot of pressure on us when the ball comes back the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But at 72% his DE was pretty bad. That's more than 1 in 4 disposals going awry. It's not great and ends up putting a lot of pressure on us when the ball comes back the other way.

Tom Green 65%
Finn Callahan 71%

Plenty of others who aren’t inside mids with lower DE than Peatling.

As I said, for a player with more contested possessions than uncontested, 72% DE is respectable.

I think his decision making and disposal efficiency is the problem. I like him, he puts in heaps of effort and attacks everything. But at 72% his DE was pretty bad. That's more than 1 in 4 disposals going awry. It's not great and ends up putting a lot of pressure on us when the ball comes back the other way.

Still better DE than Ward.

Ward had 83%

It was better than Callaghan and Green, but for them that represents a drop in form. For Peatling it's the norm. At least that's how it looks like to my eye.

It's 67.5 for the season and averaging 16 disposals. He is being carried and he doesn't look like turning it around. If we are gonna drop players for this kind of thing it needs to be the same rules for everyone.

It's 67.5 for the season and averaging 16 disposals. He is being carried and he doesn't look like turning it around. If we are gonna drop players for this kind of thing it needs to be the same rules for everyone.
Definitely agree with that. If it was up to me I'd be dropping Ward before Peatling.

I'm not trying to be critical of him here. As I said, I like him. Just saying why I think he might’ve been the one to be dropped

We are so tall down back… They have been trying to have HH be more proactive the last couple of weeks… I wish he’d be better defensively too.
They are trying to encourage Idun to be more offensively minded as well.
This allows Taylor, Buckley, and Aleer to play tall, with Haynes as the 7th.
It’s a stop gap setup of course until Pez and Ash return.
Speaking of, Ash may well be the most missed player… we have missed someone who forced the ball forward off the back half (sometimes leading to a turnover) but it ensured our ball movement was strong.
I think Ash has been missed, even more so when we lost Buckley as well.
They offer terrific run, with them.out, made it very difficult for Whitfield. We were too predictable.

He does a lot right but...
He misses targets and fumbles which stops our surge and it goes the other way.
He is not Robinson Crusoe, but that lack of cleanliness is why he is being dropped.
Bedford probably lucky to be retained.

Tom Green 65%
Finn Callahan 71%

Plenty of others who aren’t inside mids with lower DE than Peatling.

As I said, for a player with more contested possessions than uncontested, 72% DE is respectable.
DE is not a great metric imo. (This comment is not in reference to any individual de, just general)
If a player is always taking attacking kicks or in the tight contest it is much more difficult compared to easy chip around down back and everything in between.

Anyone who lives in Sydney knows that it's pouring down right now with more rain expected until tomorrow afternoon.

Sunday is forecast to be mostly sunny, but that probably leaves little chance for the ground to dry out.

We don't do very well with the weather, eh?

Being so tall down back might come back to bite us. Port has dropped 2 of their tall forwards (Finlayson and Dixon).

I now worry that history might repeat itself with their small forwards being the difference.

Ok folks STAND ASIDE

Simmo is stepping in !!

I am usually Mr negative, but this is the game that plays us into form and sets us up for Sept.

This week it clicks/

Giants by 40+ and start getting talked about in premiership contention again:

I just hope Western sydney peeps join me at the game, let’s get behind the boys

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knowing the surface will most likely be slippery, our players better have the appropriate footwear from the get-go.

Really no excuse for anyone to be ill-prepared.

Will be annoyed if we see players lose their footing because they haven't worn the long stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back