Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

A very solid win.
Not at our best, but never gave Richmond a chance.
I know they are last, they have been smashed by injuries.
but most of their guys were in today. Their midfield was Prestia, Taranto, Hopper..They had Bolton,Rioloi, Balta and Vlaustin. The side we beat weren't terrible.
In the bank, aeay from home..take it and move on.

Loving the kids.
McMullen and Thomas are complete bonuses Going into this year, not many if anyone, would have had those 2 being big contributors this year.
Both looking like real players.
Thought Cadman had a great day ad well.

Tom Morris believes Toby Bedford may be potentially looking at a 3-week suspension for the tackle on Tim Taranto.

Starts at the 2:05 min mark -

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The usual moronic reporting from Victorian-supporting reporter. "Tim Taranto was knocked out" - no he wasn't. Still, who knows what the MRO will come up with, as they've completely lost the plot on being reasonable and consistent.

The usual moronic reporting from Victorian-supporting reporter. "Tim Taranto was knocked out" - no he wasn't.
I disregarded the knocked out comment as I don't see from the footage him being knocked out but he raises some other valid points.

There are some MRO categories involving the head that by default have a sanction applied. Based on this, my personal thoughts are that he's looking at suspension rather than not.

Still, who knows what the MRO will come up with, as they've completely lost the plot on being reasonable and consistent.
Agree.

This was discussed last night on the First Crack - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/6e5c8bfd07d0d2307ad41644a2d99da0

“We’ve got no idea, at the moment, (about) some of the rules,” King began on Fox Footy’s First Crack on Sunday night.

“The umpiring has been a challenge all year, (but) I’m more specifically talking about a couple of actions in our game. The tackle, the concussion side of it, whether it’s a sling, whether it’s a dump, whether it’s an arms-pinned (or) arms not pinned.

“We’ve got grey area everywhere. The MRO is hit and miss.”

King referenced an incident from Sunday afternoon where GWS tagger Toby Bedford tackled Richmond midfielder Tim Taranto to the ground, leaving the Tigers ball-getter dazed.

Taranto exited the game shortly after, not to return. Bedford’s act wasn’t penalised for being dangerous but has since been touted as a potentially suspendable action.
“I can’t tell you 100 per cent tonight, as we sit here, whether that’s a suspendable offence or not,” King lamented.

“I can’t tell you what (sanction) the MRO will give him. I can’t tell you what the Appeals (Board) will do if (Bedford) does get weeks, and then lose, and then appeal.

“I can’t tell you what a coach thinks about this. In the post-game, it’s a waste of time asking them.

“I can’t tell you what the fans think, because they’ve got no idea either — they’re just frustrated.”
“Is that a report? I don’t know,” King said, frustrated.

“The player who’s impacted is going off the field concussed. I feel for the players with this, because no one has any idea. The rules have never been greyer right now, as to what you can and can’t do and what is acceptable.

“We’ve changed so many things. There is pandemonium in the game at the moment, and what it’s doing is it’s stifling our ability to make these changes.

“To absolutely come down on some players who get four-plus weeks, and some get off. Players are living in this grey area.

“At a point now where you go ‘is it worth tackling like that?’ Is it actually worth tackling? And we’re seeing now, and I think this is a massive danger coming into our game — the ‘chicken wing’ tackle.

“And it won’t be long before we’re having to ban this and outlaw this out of our game, because players see the rewards now — just take a hand.”

Last edited:
There are some MRO categories involving the head that by default have a sanction applied. Based on this, my personal thoughts are that he's looking at suspension rather than not.
Oh, I agree that Toby's likely to be suspended. It's pretty much outcome-based, though, not player action-based. Except for the AFLPA President who got off arguing his case for player action being reasonable as opposed to the outcome. But Morris based his "severe" grading on Taranto being "knocked out", which was untrue.

On a positive note ... great goal from Toby Bedford:

Taranto reported with concussion :(

Story extract below.

GWS mid Bedford concussed Taranto with his MCG tackle in the victory over Richmond and while he had pinned both arms his diving tackle did not see him using a double movement or dumping action.

But as he continued the tackle he dragged Taranto to ground, with the Richmond star hitting his head and then being diagnosed with concussion.

The AFL tribunal last year said a player with two arms pinned was in a vulnerable position as it clarified its stance after 17 players in a row were suspended for dangerous tackles.

So Bedford is far from certain to be suspended given he put Taranto in a dangerous position but did not necessarily use excessive force.

If he was found guilty the Giants would almost certainly appeal it to the tribunal given their trend of challenging borderline decisions and because of Bedford’s importance to the team as a tagger.

Richmond v Greater Western Sydney​

10 Toby Greene (GWS)
6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
4 Harry Himmelberg (GWS)
3 Dion Prestia (RICH)
3 Toby Nankervis (RICH)
3 Kieren Briggs (GWS)
1 Jesse Hogan (GWS)

Toby Bedford has been handed a 3 match suspension which will be challenged by the club.

Toby Bedford has been offered a three-match suspension for rough conduct following Sunday's win over the Tigers.

Bedford was charged with rough conduct following a tackle on Tiger Tim Taranto in the final quarter, with the incident classified as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact.

The club has confirmed they will appeal the suspension at the AFL Tribunal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back