Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The usual moronic reporting from Victorian-supporting reporter. "Tim Taranto was knocked out" - no he wasn't. Still, who knows what the MRO will come up with, as they've completely lost the plot on being reasonable and consistent.
I will just quickly jump in here and get out. If reporting is he was knocked out how on earth did the umpire throw the ball up straight away next to where taranto was concussed. Has anyone mentioned this.
By the way i hope bedford gets off because i am utterly confused what a player should do in that instance now. Just follow Taranto and let him run and hopefully he stuffs something up. Is that what we have got too now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Kingsley interview, speaks about the Bedford suspension and reasons for challenging the suspension, Sunday's game, Coniglio's injury, this Saturday's game and couple other topics.

Toby suspension - takeaway from Kingsley was that accidents happen.

Starts at the 30 minute mark.

Last edited:
Appears we, alongside Brisbane, are considering appealing.

‘Change needed’: Lions, Giants consider appeals as tackle bans cause confusion, frustration

By Marnie Vinall and Oliver Caffrey
Updated July 17, 2024 — 10.40am

The Brisbane Lions and GWS will consider heading to the appeals board after the AFL tribunal upheld three-game bans to Charlie Cameron and Toby Bedford for dangerous tackling.

The suspensions imposed by the match review officer and confirmed by the tribunal, have sparked outrage and confusion from many AFL pundits.

Former Brisbane Lions champion Jonathan Brown questioned what else Bedford was meant to do, arguing he pursued his opponent in act that would have been legal in the game for the best part of 100 years.

“It’s getting into troubling territory for me, and that’s really concerning – I think we’re now starting to eat into the fabric of the game. Yes, I feel bad for Tim Taranto; we don’t want players to get injured, but we are starting to eat into the fabric of the game,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch on Monday night.

“You know what I’m telling them? I’m telling (Bedford): ‘Mate, don’t pursue it, don’t tackle in that situation – I’d rather have you playing for us instead of missing next three weeks’.

“Concussion crusaders, be careful what you wish for.

“We are heading down the wrong path, we’ve done an amazing job, don’t get me wrong and I want our players to be safe, but I want our game still to be our great game. And if we keep continuing on this path, I’m concerned.”

Two-time Sydney Swans premiership player Jude Bolton said players were being punished for being physical in contested situations.

“The MRO has the lever of the ‘potential to cause injury’. This should be then used when players get it wrong, or an incident is deemed excessive/ terrible. Choose then to throw the book at them & make a statement,” Bolton expressed via X.

“The current guidelines need to change. Concussions can sadly occur ... I would rather raise the threshold for a suspension, (meaning less players are rubbed out) & come down harder on those incidents that are not footy acts.”

Toby Bedord, of the GWS Giants, also had his suspension upheld.

On a marathon night at the tribunal on Tuesday, Lions star Cameron was unsuccessful in overturning his rough conduct charge against West Coast co-captain Liam Duggan.

Following the Cameron case, Bedford was also unable to downgrade his ban after tackling Richmond star Tim Taranto during the Giants’ win at the MCG on Sunday.

During both hearings, the AFL’s lawyer Lisa Hannon argued Cameron and Bedford should have released the arms of their opponents and been more careful when tackling.

“The fact Cameron’s foot may’ve become entangled with Duggan’s was entirely foreseeable and not an exceptional circumstance in a close up tackle,” said Hannon, who also told Bedford he should have acted in similar fashion.

The Lions and GWS will decide on Wednesday whether to challenge the verdicts at the AFL appeals board.

Given the strong reaction from past and current players to the bans, both clubs will give serious consideration to contesting.

Cameron’s Lions teammate Josh Dunkley and Bedford’s Giants captain Toby Greene both expressed their bewilderment at the respective suspensions.

“When I first saw it, I was standing next to (Richmond’s) Nathan Broad and having a discussion about it, we saw the replay and thought if Tim’s concussed then they might give it a week, and then you’d probably challenge it,” Greene told Fox Footy on Tuesday night.

The tackle that resulted in Charlie Cameron’s suspension.

“Once he got three weeks, it doesn’t seem right to me, he’s making a legitimate play.

“I feel like this is overstepping the mark. This is a tackle that you’re going to see in AFL footy for the next 50 years. If you eradicate this, you’re just going to have to tackle standing up.”

Last week, Sydney unsuccessfully appealed against the one-game striking ban that ruled their star midfielder Isaac Heeney out of Brownlow Medal contention.

Under AFL rules, the Lions and GWS could argue there was an error of law during the tribunal hearing, that the decision was unreasonable or that the classification of the offence or sanction imposed were manifestly excessive.

Cameron will miss crucial games against ladder-leaders Sydney, Gold Coast and St Kilda as the Lions – last year’s grand finalists – who have won six-straight games, surge to try and secure a top-four berth.

Bedford will miss GWS’s matches against Gold Coast, Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Charlie Cameron appeal SUCCESSFUL!!

Free to play..

Surely now your man will be exonerated too

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Finally getting a chance to watch the replay, was travelling at game time.

My god the MCG looks sparse when a "big" club struggles for a year.
Holy shit, less than 20k? Send them to Tassie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back