Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s funny that Jon Ralph was able to guess with complete accuracy the AFL interpretation of the tackle and number of weeks Charlie would get prior to it being announced by the AFL.

It’s funny that Jon Ralph was able to guess with complete accuracy the AFL interpretation of the tackle and number of weeks Charlie would get prior to it being announced by the AFL.
It's a coincidence!
Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

AFL just covering themselves from future law suits. Player who contributed to the concussion was suspended - we did our job! That's it plain and simple. Sad state of affairs.

Charlie did nothing wrong. Imagine if he just let go off Duggan and let him handball to a team mate - he would have been fed to sharks.

Glad club is appealing and hopefully it is thrown out in 5 mins.

I know that you want it to be, but it is not physical.
Let's see on Sunday. I saw warning signs in the Adelaide game in the middle of the third quarter when I observed we were struggling to cover their switch. We were very sluggish getting from one side of the field to the other. When you sit high up behind the goals this is very easy to see. And that was off a 9 day break.

All the stats support my argument: we routinely cover less ground than our opposition, and we routinely struggle to run out games.

Ultimately, the reasons don't really matter. It's happening, it's been happening for 3 years, something needs to be done about it and I believe this will be highlighted and emphasised on Sunday by a team that does all these things that we don't.

And the fact that Sydney had similar issues to us last year only demonstrates that it is something a single preseason can address. The difference is that they addressed them, while we put our heads in the sand and pretended they didn't exist.

Bookmark this, come back and give me hell on Sunday. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Although ultimately, one match compared to the 17 game body of work we have already seen probably won't prove much either way.

Let's see on Sunday. I saw warning signs in the Adelaide game in the middle of the third quarter when I observed we were struggling to cover their switch. We were very sluggish getting from one side of the field to the other. When you sit high up behind the goals this is very easy to see. And that was off a 9 day break.

All the stats support my argument: we routinely cover less ground than our opposition, and we routinely struggle to run out games.

Ultimately, the reasons don't really matter. It's happening, it's been happening for 3 years, something needs to be done about it and I believe this will be highlighted and emphasised on Sunday by a team that does all these things that we don't.

And the fact that Sydney had similar issues to us last year only demonstrates that it is something a single preseason can address. The difference is that they addressed them, while we put our heads in the sand and pretended they didn't exist.

Bookmark this, come back and give me hell on Sunday. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Although ultimately, one match compared to the 17 game body of work we have already seen probably won't prove much either way.
The Swans can afford to drop 3 games at least and still finish top of the ladder with their massive percentage. And that's presuming someone chasing them can win all of theirs. So they could lose 5 and still finish top.

So there's room to think Sunday's game might not prove to be ultimately conclusive of anything . Other than we know we need to keep winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast players have even defended Charlie. Says all you need to know about the joke that is Christian and the AFL.

West Coast players have even defended Charlie. Says all you need to know about the joke that is Christian and the AFL.
Genuine question; if Charlie say tackled Yeo and for the sake of this question assume everything was identical in the way the players fell (instead of Duggan) and Yeo got up fine and played on, is Charlie even sighted or would this incident have even showed up in the MRO’s radar?

He certainly should. Whether he will or not is another story altogether.

Agree with your earlier points. The two games were so similar that in neither we conceded any run of more than 2 consecutive goals. Even tho it certainly felt like the Eagles were getting a run on in the last quarter.

And on our last quarter, wowee. The amount of our blokes who could not raise a gallop in the last and were falling off tackles left, right and centre. If it's as noticeable on TV as it was, it must have been ultra graphic live at the ground. And the difference was so stark, given our tackling, pressure and general effort had actually been pretty good for 3 quarters. We should have finished the game much better given they only had 3 on the bench.

All comes back to my (ongoing) concerns about our last quarters. Currently we're 14th for last quarters, at 93.6%. In fact our quarters get progressively worse. Our 1st quarters are league best at 165.5%. 2nd we're #3 at 126.4%. 3rd we're #9 at 104.8%. It's a pretty clear and alarming trend, and one a strong opposition will seek to take advantage of.

Oh, hi there Sydney! 👋

Can you do an analysis of Sydney's first terms please. Let's start talking about starting strong for a change. 4th quarter fadeout narrative is clearly there (and a justified concern), but for this week a focus on the opp is more instructive, imo.

Sydney has been giving teams a large lead quite often and running them down.

Can you do an analysis of Sydney's first terms please. Let's start talking about starting strong for a change. 4th quarter fadeout narrative is clearly there (and a justified concern), but for this week a focus on the opp is more instructive, imo.

Sydney has been giving teams a large lead quite often and running them down.
Yep good call. Will pop into the preview thread.

The best bit is that there is some ****wit on the tribunal board spouting his bullshit and saying anyone who disagrees with him has never played footy.

Genuine question; if Charlie say tackled Yeo and for the sake of this question assume everything was identical in the way the players fell (instead of Duggan) and Yeo got up fine and played on, is Charlie even sighted or would this incident have even showed up in the MRO’s radar?

No chance IMO

Great to see players banding together, as they should for these incidents. They're all in it together and subject to the same luck based sanctions.

I was initially of the opinion that if Charlie was suspended for 1-2 weeks, I would accept it. I then went back and watched in super-slow motion and my view on it aligns with what Yeo said: “Unfortunately he just fell because Duggy tried to shake the tackle... what is he supposed to do, let him out of the tackle?”

You can see that Duggan turns his hips and pivots his foot, so attempting to break the tackle. Charlie trying to pull the other direction and Duggan loses is footing, they both go over.
For all we know, Charlie was trying to avoid him landing on his shoulder because that's where we've seen players heads hit the ground.

The matrix deserves an overhall. 3-weeks is way too much for that. There needs to be a category for accidental in the MRO matrix. This allows to penalise a player for an accidental head-knock and to take more care, and the player gets a week. I would accept that (even in a footballing action - to encourage players not to go to ground).

I honestly think that a good part of it is because our Game Management mode is atrocious, so we continue to work on the “slow the game down method” which continually gets us in trouble.
It is the method that gets us in trouble.
And it feels like the players seem to think it is a chance to relax a bit when in fact they should be working harder.

I like the way we’re arguing this one. Never hurts when the truth is on your side.

Charlie could have tried to sit Duggan up? What sort of garbage argument is that. Jesus Christ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back