Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do i dare start believing? That was a very good win in context.

THE GOOD

Hippy not dropping his bundle - he was way out of his depth at times. Got lucky with the misses. The ball bouncing off his knee was a particularly bad moment. I thought at that point a swap with him and Smith made sense. But he ended the game well and crucially took his moment with that goal that was straight through the middle

The last quarter response - we looked done. The suns were swamping us. We got one inside 50 and missed and i thought that's it we won't get another chance. and from that point on just flipped the contest.

Prior - good performance and looks capable back-up

Lohman in the moments - as others have said he really steps up when needed, such a crucial goal, killed off suns hopes

Rayner- just more of that. interesting to hear fagan say they let him inject himself in to the midfield. avoids him going cold in the forward line?

Zorko - incredible to think he could be AA at 35.

Oscar - career best form. Now for Rowan Marshall as a challenge

THE BAD

Brain fade - what was with Shadeau's start? I have been a big fan. I think he deserves another chance and he did steady, but really cost us a few times over the night with some clangers. Best thing for him is to let him make up for it next week

McKenna - both his game and the fact the MC played him sub. i just think he has to play 2s and get confidence back. i think sub was the last thing he needed - tells him he is almost dropped and doesn't give him time to get his touch back

THE UGLY

Nah, not this week.

Re Ashcroft, one thing i noticed was a very half hearted tackle attempt. But thinking of the twisting involved on the knee that could be a confidence thing? He is going okay. Worth persisting with clearly. Does need to pick up the 2 way running because that's just mindset.

Do i dare start believing? That was a very good win in context.

THE GOOD

Hippy not dropping his bundle - he was way out of his depth at times. Got lucky with the misses. The ball bouncing off his knee was a particularly bad moment. I thought at that point a swap with him and Smith made sense. But he ended the game well and crucially took his moment with that goal that was straight through the middle

The last quarter response - we looked done. The suns were swamping us. We got one inside 50 and missed and i thought that's it we won't get another chance. and from that point on just flipped the contest.

Prior - good performance and looks capable back-up

Lohman in the moments - as others have said he really steps up when needed, such a crucial goal, killed off suns hopes

Rayner- just more of that. interesting to hear fagan say they let him inject himself in to the midfield. avoids him going cold in the forward line?

Zorko - incredible to think he could be AA at 35.

Oscar - career best form. Now for Rowan Marshall as a challenge

THE BAD

Brain fade - what was with Shadeau's start? I have been a big fan. I think he deserves another chance and he did steady, but really cost us a few times over the night with some clangers. Best thing for him is to let him make up for it next week

McKenna - both his game and the fact the MC played him sub. i just think he has to play 2s and get confidence back. i think sub was the last thing he needed - tells him he is almost dropped and doesn't give him time to get his touch back

THE UGLY

Nah, not this week.

Re Ashcroft, one thing i noticed was a very half hearted tackle attempt. But thinking of the twisting involved on the knee that could be a confidence thing? He is going okay. Worth persisting with clearly. Does need to pick up the 2 way running because that's just mindset.
Totally agree with your comments on McKenna. I understand why the MC did it, with our defence so weakened, but I think playing him as a sub didn’t do him any favours at all. He needs a full game.

Totally agree with your comments on McKenna. I understand why the MC did it, with our defence so weakened, but I think playing him as a sub didn’t do him any favours at all. He needs a full game.
The thing is he has experience but as an attacking defender, so it seems hard to justify.

I agree though i get the MC’s vibe. Apparently Answerth was rusty in the 2s so might have been a risk.

Much more aggressive than Charlie’s tackle.
I wouldn't say more aggressive, when like you and pretty much all media have ignored that Duggan contributed to everything by trying to lift and twist Charlie which resulted in Duggan being concussed.

Genuinely astounded that people ignore this and happy to trot out that Charlie was aggressive in the tackle.

I wouldn't say more aggressive, when like you and pretty much all media have ignored that Duggan contributed to everything by trying to lift and twist Charlie which resulted in Duggan being concussed.

Genuinely astounded that people ignore this and happy to trot out that Charlie was aggressive in the tackle.

I can't split the tackles tbh. Look exactly the same except duggan was slightly twisted.

Didn’t even hear that at the game but there you go. Not that that’s overly surprising. You can hardly hear supporters after a goal is kicked.

Such a soulless, pain in the arse place to get in and out of, that shithole. No wonder they have the trumpet man and his drum hitting sidekick play their tune after goals. Literally without it you wouldn’t know a goal is kicked.

The difference in atmosphere to a full house at the GABBA is crazy.
I stuck around for the post match presentations and eventually left my seat when kick to kick started. Walking out of the ground I was surprised to see a solo guitarist had just started his set in the members bar and it looked like they were still serving. Bit different to the Gabba... By that time they can't get rid of us quickly enough!

Easy to judge I guess, it just stuck out as a bit different to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything's been covered pretty much!

Red time scores pretty noticeable I thought. 1-0 (6) to them, 4-7 (31) to us. We finished all 4 quarters the better I thought.

Good last quarter as well. Would be good to make more of our chances. We were 8-4 (52) late in the 2nd and kicked 5-11 (41) after that. Could be costly in a tighter game.

Last edited:
Everything's been covered pretty much!

Red time scores pretty noticeable I thought. 1-0 (6) to them, 4-7 (31) to us. We finished all 4 quarters the better I thought.

Good last quarter as well. Would be good to make more of our chances. We were 8-4 (52) late in the 2nd and kicked 5-11 (41) after that. Could be costly in a tighter game.

The cream is rising to the top my friend. ;)

Lol it was one of the strangest goal celebrations that I have ever seem.

I watched the replay last night & when Bailey kicks his snap goal, courtesy of a Logan Morris handball, the Big O comes over & kisses Morris on the head not once but twice! How cute that was.

Unsure how anyone can have this opinion, the suns are incredibly successful at exactly what the AFL wanted them to be - an investment in grassroots footy in an untapped market. Look at the crowd when you go to a suns game, it’s all kids. Literally building a dedicated fan base from the ground up, give it time.

Plus, not sure how much you follow general sports news, but the suns are doing enough that the NRL is worried. The Dolphins and Magic Round were both quite literally “oh shit we should probably do something to secure Queensland” responses to how popular footy is getting here; in part due to the lions recent success for sure, but also because of how quietly well the suns are doing in an area that is a sporting black hole.
Not to mention the city itself is growing. They've announced a pretty big budget to "transform" the city. Being the marquee sporting team for a city that wants to put itself on the map is very much on the table for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back