AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys. I know losing is no fun and consolation prizes don't cut it. But consider the following.
You played and lost narrowly (forget the last few minutes), to the reigning premier who finally found some form, in what many pundits are claiming was the best game of the year. 15th last year to this. I'd take it
You have the makings of a very very good team Any spine that includes Hurley, Hooker, Daniher & Stewart is a great start. Dangerous
Pace on many lines.
Exciting to watch.
Combining regulars with fill ins & returnees & recruits was always going supply a roller coaster of results Come 2018, you will have chopped out dead wood, re-stocked, and become a top end team
On a side note Jobe Watson is one of my fave players And just like our scenario with Murphy, Boyd & Morris, tough calls MIGHT have to be made Sad but true Debate on here (as in our board with our lot) is divided Time will tell
If you can snaggle a finals berth a few of the more fancied sides will be looking over their shoulder I'm sure the G would suit your team better than most
Good luck
Ps my preview wasn't too far off the mark eh ?

Actually spent most of the day in Picken ( 6 goals last week ) who had no influence - Rated Baguley 6th best player - I worry some people watch the game in a haze and have little idea of match ups.
I am one of these people I must confess. But apart from that and my lack of being able to tell anyone who got lots of the ball or who had a quiet game I consider myself a very good judge of who the best/worst players are each week.

Actually spent most of the day in Picken ( 6 goals last week ) who had no influence - Rated Baguley 6th best player - I worry some people watch the game in a haze and have little idea of match ups.

Haha don't be like that, super difficult to spot match ups with the putrid camera angles, it's a joke. Can't really get a good sense of who's following who unless I'm at the game these days. Players everywhere, It's difficult to tell when you're there live at times.

You played and lost narrowly (forget the last few minutes), to the reigning premier who finally found some form, in what many pundits are claiming was the best game of the year. 15th last year to this. I'd take it

id say one of the best midfield and forward games for us. however defending was prob one of our worst game of the year.
our backline was the most inexperienced it has been since probable 2012

dont forget add the injury list

id say one of the best midfield and forward games for us. however defending was prob one of our worst game of the year.
our backline was the most inexperienced it has been since probable 2012

dont forget add the injury list

Would say our poor defending also helped the Dogs a little too Essendon has conceded 100 points the last 2 weeks hopefully we fix it this week.

Was a pretty open game would say both coaches wouldn't be too happy with their defensive part of the game.

Would say our poor defending also helped the Dogs a little too Essendon has conceded 100 points the last 2 weeks hopefully we fix it this week.

Was a pretty open game would say both coaches wouldn't be too happy with their defensive part of the game.

i prob would agree that also, we seem to struggle scoring when teams clog up the game and our f50, and then we dont have the marking forwards or crumbers

but super impressive with your dons, you have the spine for a flag, just need to build on the rest, maybe 1 more quality mid

Hi all,

Firsty - the bombers are building a great list, I am loving our younger blokes - Parish, danniher, zerrit, fantasia etc. However after our last match against the dogs I have a lot of question marks on our players decision making skills/footy IQ.

Some notable poor decision making moments this week:

1) hooker playing on 1 metre in the goal square
2) bagley kicking across goal - straight to Murphy marks and goals
3) 3 defenders trying to mark the ball 5 metres from the oppositions goal line - why not punch the ball in for a point then spoil each other?
4) overly handballing in the middle of the ground - hospital handbals which cause turnover goals
5) zaharkis kicking to an essendon player with 3 bulldogs player's on him
6) Goddards giving away 50 metre penalty at the end of the match, was not his first bad decision he has made this year (final minute of Sydney match comes to mind)
7) gleesons deliberate out of bounds...the rule has been pretty consistent all year, I will give him the benefit of the doubt here as the kick may or may not have been accidental.

I can't see Essendon being finals contendors when we can make such poor decisions on a weekly basis

I would personally like to see the bombers keep it simple, play the percentages. Thats one of the reasons why (and it kills me to say it) how carlton beat essendon in the wet earlier this year.

Thoughts?

hurley was named in the best....certainly wasnt our worst.....i was referencing that players have bad games....and yes some had shockers against the dogs....i was saying get off there backs especially after one bad game....i know and so do u that when we are on...we are on and can match it with anyone...so we lost...does that give people a reason the cane the hell outta the players....at the end of the day there the ones out there not us....so what right have people got to cane our boys..( espcially some of the comments about jobe).......cop it on the chin and move onto next week i think...stick with them and have faith

We're tenth on the ladder, so it wasn't really one bad game.

Like I said, I can see where you're coming from with sticking up for the players, but forums are designed for people to have opinions. I don't think anyone said anything to harsh about Jobe (calls for his immediate retirement were over the top) - but it is reasonable for people to feel as though the game has gone past Jobe. He's still finding the ball, but over the weekend especially, he probably hurt us more than he helped us with the ball in hand.

Again, people have the right to be disappointed. Dogs were somewhere between okay and good (suggestions they are back in premiership form are nothing short of laughable), but they were also missing 6-8 of their best players. With finals on the line, for me, I can't see it as anything but disappointing, especially when they dropped their heads in the last 5 minutes and just stopped.

People saying Merrett had an off day... you probably missed the slamming knee to the side of his head early on... that'd account for it I'd reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Round 19: 5 goal loss to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back