Review Round 19 vs Greater Western Sydney Giants @ Manuka Oval - 23/07/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
1689273902075.png

Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

Canbrrrrrrr awaits

im rating GWS form, think they can get themselves into the 8 and play finals, Away to Adelaide if they can steal a win then no surprises they go in favourites.

im rating GWS form, think they can get themselves into the 8 and play finals, Away to Adelaide if they can steal a win then no surprises they go in favourites.
Want to see how the Giants go before I rate our chances. The Crows could do a number on them at the Adelaide Oval tonight and their confidence would be low heading into the clash against us.

Didnt catch the game but GWS 5 in a row ! My random smokey for the flag because why not? Pies have it in the bag anyways

Pretty interesting game all of a sudden.

Was yesterday a new coach bounce or down to St Kilda not showing up? Obviously still a lot to improve, but our run and ball movement was the smoothest it has been all year.

We win this and finals is still somewhat in the minds of the players with some of the teams around us faltering. On the other hand, GWS 5-wins in a row and a win for them puts them up to their eyeballs in finals.

Can’t see many changes. Maybe Ace for Weller if he’s ok? King looked like he hurt his hand/wrist?

We win this and finals is still somewhat in the minds of the players with some of the teams around us faltering.
You can go a step further and say if we win this game in Canberra, then we should get the opportunity to enter the 8 (at least temporarily) with a win over Brisbane the following week. Just knowing that's a possibility should really motivate the boys and if we did somehow find a way to beat the Lions then I think the confidence boost the boys would get from seeing 'Gold Coast Suns' inside the top 8 during round 20 would be massive. You could quite easily argue it will become the biggest QClash of all time should we beat the Giants next weekend because there's so much on the line for both teams.

Anyway. If we can secure our 9th win of the season against the Giants next week then we get our record back to an even ledger and the dream legitimately stays alive with 5 games to go. Can't wait!

Y
Pretty interesting game all of a sudden.

Was yesterday a new coach bounce or down to St Kilda not showing up? Obviously still a lot to improve, but our run and ball movement was the smoothest it has been all year.

We win this and finals is still somewhat in the minds of the players with some of the teams around us faltering. On the other hand, GWS 5-wins in a row and a win for them puts them up to their eyeballs in finals.

Can’t see many changes. Maybe Ace for Weller if he’s ok? King looked like he hurt his hand/wrist?
You guys still cam make the 8 but in the post Dew era you have to play your best 22 to get in there. Sadly Oea although an absolute terrific story is not in that category. FIorini got almost as much touches in half a quarter. You just don't want to lose a decent player at the end of the season who feels he is not getting a game when he is a better footballer which has happened in the past

Y

You guys still cam make the 8 but in the post Dew era you have to play your best 22 to get in there. Sadly Oea although an absolute terrific story is not in that category. FIorini got almost as much touches in half a quarter. You just don't want to lose a decent player at the end of the season who feels he is not getting a game when he is a better footballer which has happened in the past
Fiorini has proven himself untrustworthy at the top level, he is worse than Will Brodie. Doesn't have a second position and rightly, doesnt get midfield minutes.

Ace has speed, I don't think he'll make it either but I'd like to see more games into him to see if he can make a small fwd spot his own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y

Agree. Oea should not play this week. Just not enough consistent impact yet and I doubt he ever will. Need to play our best 23.

Unfortunately, our other small forwards are woeful in different ways. I would like to see someone else given a real crack though, just not sure who.

Just mix things up. Try players in different roles.

There are multiple guys that could be tried as pressure forwards to get them in the best 23… Uwland, Lemmens, even Johnston could be worth a crack up forward.

Just because they have been pigeon holed as defenders by Dew doesn’t mean they can’t blossom with a new role and coach.

Just mix things up. Try players in different roles.

There are multiple guys that could be tried as pressure forwards to get them in the best 23… Uwland, Lemmens, even Johnston could be worth a crack up forward.

Just because they have been pigeon holed as defenders by Dew doesn’t mean they can’t blossom with a new role and coach.
I would like to see Lloyd tried as a point of difference.
Realistically he can't be any worse that Ace can he?

Really amazed by Mac Andrew's development
We always knew he'd be a player but I didn't expect him to be able to compete at AFL level for another couple of years
Looks like a really smart footballer who learns very quickly
I think we'll be doing those before and after physique shots a la Wil Powell in a couple of years too
Will be a pick well spent IMO

Really amazed by Mac Andrew's development
We always knew he'd be a player but I didn't expect him to be able to compete at AFL level for another couple of years
Looks like a really smart footballer who learns very quickly
I think we'll be doing those before and after physique shots a la Wil Powell in a couple of years too
Will be a pick well spent IMO
Best way to develop him is continue playing him. So many people on here calling for him to be dropped but what good does that do? He is too quick for anyone playing at VFL level, doesn't learn anything there.
Has improved every week with his ability to read the ball and his confidence to go for a mark playing 1s. Kid is going to be an out and out star I fully believe.

Best way to develop him is continue playing him. So many people on here calling for him to be dropped but what good does that do? He is too quick for anyone playing at VFL level, doesn't learn anything there.
Has improved every week with his ability to read the ball and his confidence to go for a mark playing 1s. Kid is going to be an out and out star I fully believe.
I’m also surprised after some of his efforts early in the season. As Superanus said, keep playing him

If weller is fit I would like if he came in for Oea and played that same high half fwd/wing role. His skills would be a good addition in the front half

If weller is fit I would like if he came in for Oea and played that same high half fwd/wing role. His skills would be a good addition in the front half
Followed Lachie out of the stadium on Saturday, Still limping a fair bit

I wouldn't bother putting him on a plane to Canberra, Crows game at the absolute earliest.

I'd honestly try and save him for the SCG game if we're still within a sniff, He goes well there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19 vs Greater Western Sydney Giants @ Manuka Oval - 23/07/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back