Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna cook us again this year when we add a mid who hacks the ball and no gun small forwards or outside users šŸ™ƒ
Honestly, this. Thatā€™s my fear in how it imbalances the list. It forces us to pick players that, in an open draft, we might overlook.

Lombard is the same. In an open draft we would get a small forward or outside mid this year, 100%.

Iā€™m not unhappy taking academy kids. But it does change how we build a list over time.

But if we can offload our first round picks for player upgrades and then take Lombard, itā€™s fine. But the last few years we have been unable to get anyone through the door and address real needs.

Honestly, doesnā€™t matter how we recruit, it is always wrong. We used to go after speedy smalls and flankers and got smashed in the middle after a few injuries there. Changed to contested midfielders and skilled talls to replace our leaving players and got smashed on the outside instead.

We just canā€™t seem to properly balance our list. I think we need to swap 3 players out of our best 22. One halfback skilled; one winger skilled; one consistent small forward. That would make a huge difference.

Look at our VFL team from today and tell me who should come up? I agree, but itā€™s just not possible right now.

We need to target some 22-24 year old state level players to plug some holes for cheap there too.
You're right. From the vfl I'd rather see Fiorini as an inside mid, Farrar or Ace on a wing maybe. I can't wait to get rogers, lombard and uwland into the team, a mosquito fleet of good users. We missed mally and davies in the side today as well.

As I expected, that unfounded optimism from some people here before the game turned into melts.

First half good except terrible conversion, terrible inside 50s, terrible turnovers.

In the second half we were on the ropes.

GWS put some elite pressure on us.

Moyle over Briggs.

The youngest line-up of the round again.

Time to beat Lions at home.

Last edited:
As I expected, that unfounded optimism from some people here before the game turned into melts.

First half good beside terrible conversion, terrible inside 50s, terrible turnovers.

In the second half we were on the ropes.

GWS put some elite pressure on us.

Moyle over Briggs.

Time to beat Lions at home.
Although you are part of the crew that arenā€™t my biggest fans you are my favourite contributor this year.

Love your work

Honestly, doesnā€™t matter how we recruit, it is always wrong. We used to go after speedy smalls and flankers and got smashed in the middle after a few injuries there. Changed to contested midfielders and skilled talls to replace our leaving players and got smashed on the outside instead.

We just canā€™t seem to properly balance our list. I think we need to swap 3 players out of our best 22. One halfback skilled; one winger skilled; one consistent small forward. That would make a huge difference.

Look at our VFL team from today and tell me who should come up? I agree, but itā€™s just not possible right now.

We need to target some 22-24 year old state level players to plug some holes for cheap there too.
Would it be worth trying to get back one if your ex academy kids that are doing well at state level like Ekersley, Gore or Little even as a rookie

Would it be worth trying to get back one if your ex academy kids that are doing well at state level like Ekersley, Gore or Little even as a rookie
Would prefer to get back Rankine :D :D
Losing Izak killed off our last coach and has probably lost us 5 or 6 games in the past 18 months
Guys like him are irreplaceable
To be fair he decided to go and we couldn't offer him enough to stay
Even his manager tried to get him to stay!
If you can find a fast skilful small forward that can kick up to 6 a game and offer up 6 assists please give Dimma a call
He was by far and away the best field kick in the team too by some distance
I nearly didnt renew when he left because win or lose I turned up just to see him play
I was devastated -but Dewy was suicidal I reckon

Would prefer to get back Rankine :D :D
Losing Izak killed off our last coach and has probably lost us 5 or 6 games in the past 18 months
Guys like him are irreplaceable
To be fair he decided to go and we couldn't offer him enough to stay
Even his manager tried to get him to stay!
If you can find a fast skilful small forward that can kick up to 6 a game and offer up 6 assists please give Dimma a call
He was by far and away the best field kick in the team too by some distance
I nearly didnt renew when he left because win or lose I turned up just to see him play
I was devastated -but Dewy was suicidal I reckon

Rosas and Rogers can be those guys canā€™t they?

EDIT: Jed isnā€™t even close to being a player at this stage, several of these guys need some time in the 2s and home truth's told, if you would work hard, work elsewhere

AND WORST OF ALL THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY

If I were JW Iā€™d be making contact with Johnathon Brown and asking to meet down at PBC oval a couple of nights a week for some extra coaching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were JW Iā€™d be making contact with Johnathon Brown and asking to meet down at PBC oval a couple of nights a week for some extra coaching

I hope Iā€™m wrong about Jed but I have a vewy vewy bad feeling
I think his way forward is as a mobile lead out forward contesting if it comes to ground but we donā€™t have a great track record developing guys with no clue
And currently he ( appears) clueless
Seriously Crab or Sandy Brock would give way more up forward at the moment
I hate weā€™re back to gifting games on ā€œpotentialā€

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope Iā€™m wrong about Jed but I have a vewy vewy bad feeling
I think his way forward is as a mobile lead out forward contesting if it comes to ground but we donā€™t have a great track record developing guys with no clue
And currently he ( appears) clueless
Seriously Crab or Sandy Brock would give way more up forward at the moment
I hate weā€™re back to gifting games on ā€œpotentialā€

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He has 0 football IQ, crashes packs when teammates are in prime position, doesn't understand leading patterns, just stands there and calls for it on his head. He is coming from a long way back unfortunately. All my u18 fears about him are coming true, can't brute force AFL sized defenders like he did last year.

He has 0 football IQ, crashes packs when teammates are in prime position, doesn't understand leading patterns, just stands there and calls for it on his head. He is coming from a long way back unfortunately. All my u18 fears about him are coming true, can't brute force AFL sized defenders like he did last year.
Sounds like a Suns forward line coach issue to me.
He just a 19yr old in his first year

I think hitting panic stations on Walter is a bit premature. Has a lot to learn but he is very young still, if this is representative of him at the end of next year, then a few questions may be asked.
I agree maybe a bit premature but its hard to ignore it when he is playing 1s. Granted we don't have many options right now. I'd be playing Mac forward for a few weeks, see what that gives us.

I agree maybe a bit premature but its hard to ignore it when he is playing 1s. Granted we don't have many options right now. I'd be playing Mac forward for a few weeks, see what that gives us.
I would have thrown Mac forward as well in the last. The man seemingly has a bit more of a presence about him than the other key forwards we have.

we don't always agree but on this we are well aligned
You compare his scouting reel to Mac's
Mac was a skinny ferret, but you could see him read the game and draw his team mates into the play
One is a natural footballer
The other at this stage is a man child finding it hard to play against men instead of children

I agree in part with Walter. Kid is not ready. He looked like he was building before the halfway mark, but contributes near nothing at the moment and is far to close to other players.

But our forward line in general is poor. I canā€™t believe how little space we create there. Nobody leads into the holes. Everyone just clumps together. That to me says our structure is wrong, and has been for a long time to be honest. We get buy on natural talent there when we win, not from any clear plan to score.

On top of that, players are too scared to have a shot for goal, always handballing to someone else or kicking to the square from 45-55 out.

Defence has looked a lot better in general this year, so this has to be our next focus: fixing our forward structure to give our mids (not the best disposers of the ball anyway) a better chance to kick to a player.

we don't always agree but on this we are well aligned
You compare his scouting reel to Mac's
Mac was a skinny ferret, but you could see him read the game and draw his team mates into the play
One is a natural footballer
The other at this stage is a man child finding it hard to play against men instead of children
There is no way Moyle should be dropped. Play 2 Rucks and rest Moyle forward he's 100 % more valuable than Walter ATM.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back