Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Went about as expected. We aren’t beating GWS anytime soon. Once again it was an incredibly well drilled team versus a team of individuals who have no idea what each other are doing.

Our forward line is far and away the worst in the league and the forward coach just has to go. Ball movement up the ground is also worst in the league, so you can argue about chicken v egg sure, but in addition to 0 movement or leading which you can excuse, no crumber has any ability to get front and centre, no key forward has the ability to out position his opponent under a high ball, and there is no pressure from anyone beside Ben Long. Its just 6 blokes standing around hoping Ben King gets a free kick and can kick. It’s an absolute embarrassment.

Our tackling again is utterly pathetic and still leads to so many easy goals because we just can’t wrap up the damn ball, and again we were rattled and no one wanted the ball and we have no one to step up and drag the team along. So many handballs to no one or someone under pressure which you don’t see happen at home, which again, is all between the ears and very unlikely to change with these players.

Finally, we can only hope like hell that the academy core coming through have what it takes to lead us to success, because as shown yet again, our current ‘core’ are cats who don’t have what it takes to step up when it matters.

Giants play a fast handball game. Our team was not built or picked to deal with that.

But really, if our mids could find our forwards (whether mids or forwards are to blame, I don’t care) and we kick at 50% instead of 6.14 and several out on the full, then the game is different.

Mentally we are clearly not there and each loss makes it worse. The pressure is too much and players are crumpling.
Why are we playing Swallow over Rogers?
Read the injury list. Unfortunately it is rising every week.

List just isnt there yet, credit to supersuns for seeing it very early. Really need a massive injection of skill and speed

Legitimately only way we can scrape into finals is by winning every game and results going our way.
Only 2 games left are at home so obviously that’s not happening
It’s so over
You guys are so much better at home that you're still a chance. Beat the Lions and Melbourne, you should only need to beat Richmond and West Coast away to make it. Not saying you're a shoo-in but you're not out of it by any means. Sure if you can't beat West Coast or Richmond you won't make it and certainly won't deserve to

Rogers is injured. And if you thought Swallow was the problem today. There’s bad news coming. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in our “best” for today. 28 touches, 78% DE, 6 score involvements
Yeah not sure why people always go after Swallow. Hasn’t been the problem all year.

Problem rests with our disposal efficiency and the movement of our forwards combined. Our forward line needs a clean out and refresh badly. Then a good winger.

Need speed. When we have speed we look good.

You guys are so much better at home that you're still a chance. Beat the Lions and Melbourne, you should only need to beat Richmond and West Coast away to make it. Not saying you're a shoo-in but you're not out of it by any means. Sure if you can't beat West Coast or Richmond you won't make it and certainly won't deserve to
We don't deserve to make it. I haven't seen a mature performance from the club all year. Finals teams win everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside, what I would give to have GWS’ list and recruiting team. That is one club entirely on the same page. They have fast, hard working small forwards and skilled rebounding defenders coming out of their a*s and keep adding to their stocks each year and throwing them at you. They know who they are.

Compared to the absolute mess that is our list and our complete disdain for anyone with even VFL level skills.

Rogers is injured. And if you thought Swallow was the problem today. There’s bad news coming. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in our “best” for today. 28 touches, 78% DE, 6 score involvements
Swallow was ok, he wasn't the problem today and that's not what i was trying to say. The game has past him and the older boys, we know what we get from Swallow, Holman etc, we've been to the well too many times. Didn't know rogers was injured but I'd rather see the future than the past

As an aside, what I would give to have GWS’ list and recruiting team. That is one club entirely on the same page. They have fast, hard working small forwards and skilled rebounding defenders coming out of their a*s and keep adding to their stocks each year and throwing them at you. They know who they are.

Compared to the absolute mess that is our list and our complete disdain for anyone with even VFL level skills.
Honestly, doesn’t matter how we recruit, it is always wrong. We used to go after speedy smalls and flankers and got smashed in the middle after a few injuries there. Changed to contested midfielders and skilled talls to replace our leaving players and got smashed on the outside instead.

We just can’t seem to properly balance our list. I think we need to swap 3 players out of our best 22. One halfback skilled; one winger skilled; one consistent small forward. That would make a huge difference.
Swallow was ok, he wasn't the problem today and that's not what i was trying to say. The game has past him and the older boys, we know what we get from Swallow, Holman etc, we've been to the well too many times. Didn't know rogers was injured but I'd rather see the future than the past
Look at our VFL team from today and tell me who should come up? I agree, but it’s just not possible right now.

We need to target some 22-24 year old state level players to plug some holes for cheap there too.

Time to acknowledge a glaring fact for all those who have worn rose colored glasses all year. We are just NOT good enough and don't deserve to play finals. That won't be happening anyway. We are a PC correct team of young men who don't know how to play a tough brand of football. We're like a bunch of privaye school kids who by their position in life, think it'll all come so easily to them. We need more jumk yard dogs like Will Graham and Bodi Uwland before we can hope to be challenging for anything. Why do we persist with the likes of Sexton, Holman - even Swallow? These guys will not be part of the next phase. Why was Graham a Sub while these guys who play with half his grunt get the nod. We are deficient in top end talent with experience - it shows every time we play away. Dimma must drag some elite experienced players up here and forgo all the kids - we have enough. So disappointing on so many levels.

The Giants kicked 14 goals 5, and the Suns kicked 6 goals 14 with a million kicks out on the full. That tells the story there. I thought the Suns defence and midfield were playing better than GWS for most of the game, but we completely kicked ourselves out of it.

The Suns during this game:

Time to acknowledge a glaring fact for all those who have worn rose colored glasses all year. We are just NOT good enough and don't deserve to play finals. That won't be happening anyway. We are a PC correct team of young men who don't know how to play a tough brand of football. We're like a bunch of privaye school kids who by their position in life, think it'll all come so easily to them. We need more jumk yard dogs like Will Graham and Bodi Uwland before we can hope to be challenging for anything. Why do we persist with the likes of Sexton, Holman - even Swallow? These guys will not be part of the next phase. Why was Graham a Sub while these guys who play with half his grunt get the nod. We are deficient in top end talent with experience - it shows every time we play away. Dimma must drag some elite experienced players up here and forgo all the kids - we have enough. So disappointing on so many levels.
We played Davies & Rosas last week and they got suspended. If they didn't the senior guys you named wouldnt of been considered

2.5 in the second half with the game on the line was absolutely Disgraceful

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had some absolute shockers by foot (the only player out there I will give some leniency to though given the circumstances), but I thought Lachie Weller is already our most dangerous with ball in hand. He actually runs and overlaps and takes the game on. Him and Rioli are so desperately needed it’s not funny.

We’ve drafted maybe 3 kids on our own merit in the past 4 years because we keep adding academy players.

It’s a double edged sword.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back