MVP Round 2; Essendon v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 6 players who I thought were clearly the most influential and best on: Hurley, Hooker, Watson, Stanton, Merrett and Melksham. Thought that Goddard was crucial to our control of the first half but (understandably faded after the injury). Heppel worked hard all day but did not do enough with the ball. Colyer did some crucial things. Baguley was rock solid.

I find it a bit hard to make decision on one live viewing because it's hard to take everything in but here it goes:

5. Hurley
4. Hooker
3. Merrett
2. Watson
1. Melksham (just gets Stanton because of the quality of some of his ball going forward)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK - because of circumstances, I've now watched the entire replay 3 times after seeing the game on Sunday. Doesn't make giving votes any easier.

5. Hurley
4. Hooker
3. Merrett
2. Melksham
1. Heppell

First half - backline was immense. Had Gwilt and Bags in my vote until then.

After half time and during our slow period, guys like Cooney, Ambrose and Goddard put in some great efforts.

I hope I caught all the guys who put in a huge effort over the full 120 minutes.

There were 6 players who I thought were clearly the most influential and best on: Hurley, Hooker, Watson, Stanton, Merrett and Melksham. Thought that Goddard was crucial to our control of the first half but (understandably faded after the injury). Heppel worked hard all day but did not do enough with the ball. Colyer did some crucial things. Baguley was rock solid.

I find it a bit hard to make decision on one live viewing because it's hard to take everything in but here it goes:

5. Hurley
4. Hooker
3. Merrett
2. Watson
1. Melksham (just gets Stanton because of the quality of some of his ball going forward)

Goddard was probably better than Melksham on the day. He basically controlled the first half. The kick he missed Bellchambers aside his use was excellent.

5. Hurley - He's just dominated the two best KPFs in the game. Bloke has gone beast mode.
4. Watson - 33 disposals at 81%, 5 clearances and six tackles. Bloke is a gun.
3. Hooker - Bloody outstanding.
2. Heppell - Honestly, anyone that says he isn't an elite midfielder is yanking themselves.
1. Melksham - Wow. Had him in the votes both games. 12 i50s, that's awesome.

Alright only watched on TV and admire those who can narrow it down to 5 with utter confidence. First 3 easy.

5 Hooker

4 Hurley

3 Heppell

2 Watson

1 Stanton

As others have said, it's really unfair to narrow this down to five. The entire team was superb. But ... if pushed ...

5 Hooker
4 Hurley
3 Merrett
2 Heppell
1 Colyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back