Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 7+

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing is, Bellchambers got selected ahead of Phillips despite the differences in the amount of pre-season they both completed and our obvious lack of tall options where they could have legitimately selected both. Given the fact Bellchambers has been fit (injury wise) for the past 2 months as far as we know, what makes you think they'd backtrack on this selection, especially given the fact he'll have actual ruck support this game instead of Kyle Langford?

Hopefully with an expanded bench we can select both ruckmen and see which one is better. Plus some people are predicting increased injuries when the game returns, so it will be interesting to see if that's a factor in team selection.

Hopefully with an expanded bench we can select both ruckmen and see which one is better. Plus some people are predicting increased injuries when the game returns, so it will be interesting to see if that's a factor in team selection.
If we select 2 rucks I'd pick Draper.

I think the thing is, Bellchambers got selected ahead of Phillips despite the differences in the amount of pre-season they both completed and our obvious lack of tall options where they could have legitimately selected both. Given the fact Bellchambers has been fit (injury wise) for the past 2 months as far as we know, what makes you think they'd backtrack on this selection, especially given the fact he'll have actual ruck support this game instead of Kyle Langford?
Oh I don't think they'll bactrack on selecting Bellchambers first at all, I totally expect him to be selected. I just think Phillips' form in preseason justified being selected ahead of Bellchambers. We won't be selecting both while McKernan offers a chopout though. It will be one or the other because we can only afford one of them lumbering about. McKernan offers better mobility than both.

If we select 2 rucks I'd pick Draper.

Is he fit? Given there's no seconds maybe they should've increased the bench to 8 for the H&A to allow the teams to get match fitness into more players, and to cover for injuries. They could've gone back to 4 for the finals.

Oh I don't think they'll bactrack on selecting Bellchambers first at all, I totally expect him to be selected. I just think Phillips' form in preseason justified being selected ahead of Bellchambers. We won't be selecting both while McKernan offers a chopout though. It will be one or the other because we can only afford one of them lumbering about. McKernan offers better mobility than both.
I think McKernan is fine as a back up, sort of in between your Soldo's or McInerney's and your Jenkins' or Daniher's but if there's an extended bench I'd be happy to not have him ruck outside the forward 50
He's been away from the game too long. Needs match fitness I would have thought.
And how would you propose he does that? If there's an extended bench it's a perfect way to manage him.
Is he fit? Given there's no seconds maybe they should've increased the bench to 8 for the H&A to allow the teams to get match fitness into more players, and to cover for injuries. They could've gone back to 4 for the finals.
They're considering 5 or 6 last I heard, and yes he's fit to play I believe.

For some reason McKernan is penalised so much when he rucks. The umps definitely have it in for him and combined with the umps Sydney luv, McKernan should not be rucking on a relief basis. Only on an emergency case.

For some reason McKernan is penalised so much when he rucks. The umps definitely have it in for him and combined with the umps Sydney luv, McKernan should not be rucking on a relief basis. Only on an emergency case.
Is it that the umps have it in for him or is it that he does give away some genuinely stupid frees?

Is it that the umps have it in for him or is it that he does give away some genuinely stupid frees?
Yeah he gives away very silly free kicks in the ruck and at times it's really given the momentum to the opposition. The umps don't have it in for him, it's just he's unaware of exactly what he can do in the ruck. Though I feel like the last few games when he has played in the ruck he wasn't giving away as many stupid free kicks.

Agreed. He gives away some shockers but also umpires pay frees against him that wouldn't be paid against other players. I swear the umps have it in for him.
I think it has improved a bit. There was a period where it felt like he gave away a 'free kick' every second ruck contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think McKernan is fine as a back up, sort of in between your Soldo's or McInerney's and your Jenkins' or Daniher's but if there's an extended bench I'd be happy to not have him ruck outside the forward 50

And how would you propose he does that? If there's an extended bench it's a perfect way to manage him.

Ah, I didn't realise there was no VFL. That's a bit of a worry. Returning when? Didn't realise there's an extended bench either. Phillips and Draper is fine by me.

Only extended if we compress at the back end of the season.

I'm pretty sure that still happens depending on who we're playing, where and what the score is.
Undoubtedly.
There were a couple of games early i remember thinking he may never be able to ruck again. It was bad like a bowler being no-balled for throwing in cricket bad.

Still, the big goofy bastard has cleaned it up a lot.

The umps of course don’t have it in for him of course. It is a stretch of the truth for me to say that,
but,
the umpires do find it very easy to pay a ruck free kick against him as opposed to other rucks. Dare I say it’s easier for an umpire to pay a ruck infringement against McKernan then other rucks. It invariably involves the lead up before the ball is touched by either ruck.
So it’s a technic that has never been addressed by the club, or by McKernan. Or maybe he doesn’t really want to ruck. I think it’s that. He doesn’t want to ruck and that’s why he has never really sorted these short comings.

Now I know there's an extended bench I'm superkeen to see Draper up and about. I remember last year reading that when he gets going at AFL level he's expected to be better than both O'Brien and Marshall... could have read that on BF but still excited to see him play.

Interesting stat on Phillips; over five games for the Blues last year he averaged about 30 hit outs per game, putting him in the top ten in the league. Projects well with some continuity at the top level. Bellchambers was 16th.

So, I hope if we're playing two rucks it's Draper and Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back