Game Day Round 2 - The Footscray Midfielders Academy vs West Coast - Sunday March 28, 12:20PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the team we sent out against them in round 16 last year

[14] Liam Duggan,[37] Tom Barrass,[5] Brad Sheppard
[35] Josh Rotham,[20] Jeremy McGovern,[30] Jackson Nelson
[23] Lewis Jetta,[4] Dom Sheed,[3] Andrew Gaff
[34] Mark Hutchings,[27] Jack Darling,[1] Liam Ryan
[33] Brayden Ainsworth,[17] Josh J. Kennedy,[2] Jake Waterman
[16] Tom Hickey,[11] Tim Kelly,[8] Jack Redden
[12] Oscar Allen,[24] Xavier O'Neill,[28] Tom Cole,[41] Brendon Ah Chee

Arguably our weakest team of the year, off of a 5 day break, and came close to beating them.

Compared to the above it will be:

OUT: Hickey, Ah Chee, Waterman, Ainsworth, Jetta
IN: Naitanui, Vardy, Hurn, Langdon, and one of Jones/Petch/Brander

Langdon to play the defensive forward role that Ainsworth played last year (and played really well) on Caleb Daniel.

Marvel suits us a lot more than Metricon, the roof will be closed, and our mids are in much better form (Sheed, Kelly BOG's) than last time and will be getting silver service off of Naitanui.

If Brander plays it will be at the expense of Petch and Brander will play big body midfielder and maybe try and negate Smith or Bont (LOL), not in the ruck (LOLOL).

I tried to find out how Nic matched up against Martin last time, but Stef didn't play in round 3 last year, and their last encounter would have been years ago when Brisbane was a rabble.

Apart from the midfield, we have the better attack and defence, playing at a ground with a roof preventing us being affected by the weather, helping our style of play, this really should be a win if we're contending this season. Eagles by 21.

You on a promise tonight?

The positive outlook ep2018 is a doomsday indicator.

Willie Rioli - a miscarriage of justice. Suspended longer than he played.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 9.51.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 9.52.50 PM.png
So English attended 4 centre bounces. I'd assume they'd shelter him away from Nic and let him at Vardy. As bad as Vardy has been, It's probably a great opportunity for him to get into form. That said Hickey made English look like Grundy last year

Will be a WBD basketball pass type bonanza. They move it too quick for WC tired old legs, and will likely clean up at the centre bounce given they have a team of mids and our best two are missing.

View attachment 1085220View attachment 1085221
So English attended 4 centre bounces. I'd assume they'd shelter him away from Nic and let him at Vardy. As bad as Vardy has been, It's probably a great opportunity for him to get into form. That said Hickey made English look like Grundy last year
Yeah, this ain't a great stat for us.

Particularly given Bont + Macrae + Smith etc. etc. is light years better than GCs midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who’s their third tall to match up on Darling, JK and Allen. I only see Gardner and Keath as key backs?

They don't have one. The forward line isn't any better. Their entire team is midfielders with some cardboard cutouts at either end. They had 50% more inside 50's than the pies last week, from which they managed a whopping one additional shot on goal. Sure, Darcy Moore was sensational, but Josh Bruce is a poor mans Matt Tabbener, and Aaron Naughton didn't look any better than he did last year, while down back Cox and Mihocek looked constantly dangerous. Only weight of ball ended up telling in the end.

If we can only lose the middle by no worse than 20-30% or so we should be able to win out with a superior spine.

I feel like i have personal experience with following a team with a stacked midfield, and then forwards that were.... present. *cough* lynchy *cough* here is hoping we can show them that 1 good line isn't always enough.

I feel like i have personal experience with following a team with a stacked midfield, and then forwards that were.... present. *cough* lynchy *cough* here is hoping we can show them that 1 good line isn't always enough.
Yeah they remind me a lot of mid 2000s WC except they somehow fluked a premiership before they got to that stage.

Only difference being English is still a few years behind where Cox was, and we didn’t have a JUH sitting in the 2s

This is the team we sent out against them in round 16 last year

[14] Liam Duggan,[37] Tom Barrass,[5] Brad Sheppard
[35] Josh Rotham,[20] Jeremy McGovern,[30] Jackson Nelson
[23] Lewis Jetta,[4] Dom Sheed,[3] Andrew Gaff
[34] Mark Hutchings,[27] Jack Darling,[1] Liam Ryan
[33] Brayden Ainsworth,[17] Josh J. Kennedy,[2] Jake Waterman
[16] Tom Hickey,[11] Tim Kelly,[8] Jack Redden
[12] Oscar Allen,[24] Xavier O'Neill,[28] Tom Cole,[41] Brendon Ah Chee

Arguably our weakest team of the year, off of a 5 day break, and came close to beating them.

Compared to the above it will be:

OUT: Hickey, Ah Chee, Waterman, Ainsworth, Jetta
IN: Naitanui, Vardy, Hurn, Langdon, and one of Jones/Petch/Brander

O'Neill for Hutch too.

Can't see us winning this one with our depleted midfield vs their firing deep midfield and Marvel is a fast track which suits their midfield. Only positive is for all their midfield dominance they don't tend to score heavily and they don't have tall defenders apart from Keath but their small defenders can move the ball out quickly.

A win here is huge, as the next 2 games are tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 2 - The Footscray Midfielders Academy vs West Coast - Sunday March 28, 12:20PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back