Preview Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs. The Fremantle Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo not as daunting as early in the year - and Sandilands out. I feel great pity for Aaron - not because of his injury - but because of his surname.

Prediction
Swans will be 40 point better team = 40+
Allowance: Minus 5 goals for umpiring fraud = net 10+.
Clawback: Plus 2 goals - Freo is not Victorian = 22+.
Jetta to star in wide open spaces - plus 2 goals = 34+.
Umpires appreciate importance of percentage - minus 4 goals = 10+.

Swans to win by 10.

swans by
Hey Leg End, you should patent that predictor of yours! Not for accuracy though, just for laughs:D Your love of umpires is roughly on par with my 'love' for Tony Abbot...

Sandilands looks quite unlikely to play, and I think Freo would be mad to risk him at this point. They are probably fading out of contention for a top four spot, but look very likely to get a home elim, where they'll really need him. I've said it before but will say it again: Sandilands for the Brownlow. Don't know his odds, but get on him...

We need this more than Freo, they have maybe 6 players out, Jetta's gunna kick a bag. Swans by 28

FREMANTLE v SYDNEY SWANS
Fremantle
B: Dylan Roberton, Antoni Grover, Greg Broughton
HB: Stephen Hill, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: Garrick Ibbotson, David Mundy, Nat Fyfe
HF: Byron Schammer, Matthew Pavlich, Michael Walters
F: Adam McPhee, Michael Johnson, Matthew de Boer
Foll: Kepler Bradley, Nick Suban, Paul Duffield
I/C: Paul Hasleby, Anthony Morabito, Jessie Crichton, Zac Clarke

Emg: Justin Bollenhagen, Clancee Pearce, Jay van Berlo

In: Clarke, Walters, Schammer
Out: Jay van Berlo, Rhys Palmer, Justin Bollenhagen

Sydney Swans
B: Paul Bevan, Ted Richards, Rhyce Shaw
HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Lewis Jetta, Brett Kirk, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ben McGlynn, Ryan O'Keefe, Josh Kennedy
F: Mike Pyke, Adam Goodes, Jarred Moore
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Trent Dennis-Lane, Daniel Hannebery, Martin Mattner, Jesse White
Emg: Brett Meredith, Sam Reid, Gary Rohan

No change

NO SANDI!!!!!!!!!!, no change for us isn't surprising, whoever doesn't perform this week is likely to be omitted considering the others ready to come back from injury

I'm quietly confident about this game now, not sure about you, but we're half a chance, if we play like we did against Hawthorn.

There is a bit of talk on BF about Sandilands possibly still playing.

Am I correct in saying that, as he hasn't been named in the team or as an emergency then Freo would get a $20K fine if he did play?

I am assuming this because of the situation with North Melb a couple of weeks ago and David Hale having to play to avoid the fine.

When I first saw he wasn't named there may have been a few fist pumps :eek:.

There is a bit of talk on BF about Sandilands possibly still playing.

Am I correct in saying that, as he hasn't been named in the team or as an emergency then Freo would get a $20K fine if he did play?

I am assuming this because of the situation with North Melb a couple of weeks ago and David Hale having to play to avoid the fine.

When I first saw he wasn't named there may have been a few fist pumps :eek:.
No chance of Sandilands playing.

No Sandilands!
istockphoto_3869344-group-of-young-people-dancing.jpg

That's me on the left (not).

Wow! I am genuinely blown away by how really friendly the Swans guys were after training. They made a point of sticking around and autographing for the fans, and even were kind to chubby middle-aged ladies who had trouble with their digital cameras. A few rels of Trent D-L, and I suspect Lewis Jetta made it there. I so support the best team! It might be wet in Subi tomorrow. I think that could be good for us, (tho' not for spectating).

Freo will be breathing fire next week.

Not a great time to play them.
Dennis-Lane might be key here. Played for Subiaco so should know the ground pretty well. Impressed me today.

Likewise Jetta should have played some footy on the ground previously too.
Should be a good game of footy.

WAFL games arent played at Subi oval

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they won't risk the fine, surely

They wont risk Sandi so close to finals.

As good as a shot in the arm this is and brings in tight play around the stoppages back as a serious option it's not the be all and end all. Like we do at the SCG Frematle use this ground so well and make space for themselves.

We need to be first ball winners and not turn it over. We need to slow them down coming out of defense. It's how Collingwood stopped their home momentum and we have to replicate. The ball must be played on the ground if we cant win it because if their carrying it to advantage they will flog us on subi. I think without Sandi, Pav is going to push up the ground a lot further when there trying to come out of defense, if this is the case ROK has another tagging Job and this one may take him right out of the play.

It would also be advantages if one of our forwards has a day out on a big ground and finds space and kicks truly.

Wow! I am genuinely blown away by how really friendly the Swans guys were after training. They made a point of sticking around and autographing for the fans, and even were kind to chubby middle-aged ladies who had trouble with their digital cameras. A few rels of Trent D-L, and I suspect Lewis Jetta made it there. I so support the best team! It might be wet in Subi tomorrow. I think that could be good for us, (tho' not for spectating).

That''ll be that bloody Adam Schneider sneaking in to get photos of old mates, probably for some dodgy Facebook prank. Bloody Facebook ...

Last time we played Mumford was out through suspension and Sandilands dominated along with Barlow and Mundy with the Pav strong early up forward and McPhee down back in the Dockers 37 point win. Best for the Swans was Goodes, Hannebery and Jack in the midfield along with Malceski down back, remembering that in this match Tadhg Kennelly went down early through injury along with Daniel Bradshaw.

This time round both sides have slightly different personnel, the question is, will the Dockers bounce back from last week's disappointing loss to North, but more importantly, will Sydney be able to match the Dockers with pace on a much bigger ground whilst keeping up the scoreboard pressure?

Possible Key Match-Ups

Bradley v Mumford
Hill v Jack
Pavlich v Grundy
Mundy v Kirk/Bolton
Grover/McPharlin v Goodes
Fyfe v Jetta

Sportsbet...

Fremantle $1.60
Sydney $2.35
LINE $1.92 @ 9.5

We won't see Fyfe vs Jetta i don't think. Fyfe is far too dangerous to be trusted to Jetta who will be trying hard to run forward.

Fyfe is another who played really well against us last time and i rate him really highly. Strong marking hands, very agile, taller than he looks, runs all day. I reckon the best matchup for him is probably Mattner, similar body type, can play wing/HB while Fyfe plays wing/HF. He played on ROK from memory last time and really beat him well, so unless Roosy has another role for ROK this week perhaps that is what Freo will do.

Personally, i hope ROK plays forward more this week.

We won't see Fyfe vs Jetta i don't think. Fyfe is far too dangerous to be trusted to Jetta who will be trying hard to run forward.

Fyfe is another who played really well against us last time and i rate him really highly.

Fur sure. He jagged the rising star nom for that last game against us. I'm sure Roos has a bit more of a plan for him this time though. Def won't be Jetta though.

Fyfe is another who played really well against us last time and i rate him really highly. Strong marking hands, very agile, taller than he looks, runs all day. I reckon the best matchup for him is probably Mattner, similar body type, can play wing/HB while Fyfe plays wing/HF. He played on ROK from memory last time and really beat him well, so unless Roosy has another role for ROK this week perhaps that is what Freo will do.

Personally, i hope ROK plays forward more this week.

may be surprised...

may be surprised...

God I hope not. Last week the best component of our game was how deep we kicked the ball to the forward line. This is going to be harder at subi but Jetta with speed and a good kick (yes he really does in the the field of play) is the sort of player we need playing off a a wing or a HFF to try and really ensure that ball gets every opportunity of traveling deep towards White.

Would ROK possibly play on Pav when he is in the midfield?

And Reg on him when he is in the forward line.

I said it earlier in the thread and my thoughts were that Pav will be a target for them to kick to coming out of defense. If that is the case we need someone who can go with him in the air and the logical explanation would be ROK but if ROK isnt 100% than it's not a good option. However if he's not a 100% playing him against Hodge wasn't a good option yet he pulled that off nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs. The Fremantle Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back