Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought barlow was great and people should cut him slack because his got all the attributes to be a great player but instead people are cutting him down after roughly a year (not even) off senior games.

Agreed. Cut him some slack. He has shown this year he has some class with his disposal coming off the wing and HB and has kicked quite a few goals too. People bagging his chasing and hard running are kidding themselves imo. Ive seen many many times in the last 6 weeks at least Ed chasing his tail off and putting pressure on, so that is not a worry imo. All it is for Ed is to get harder at the ball. And that will come, you can't last at this club if you dont change to having the attitude of Brett Kirk. Im not saying that with that attitude they will all smash themselves to a stand still like Kirky does every week, i mean that when it is their time to get hit and whack in they will do it without a blink of the eye.

Barlow debuted at the end of '07, Vonn. Played 4 games at the end of the year and looked really good as a running wingman and that was when many of us brought out the name "Whitegoods", i still laugh when i hear that name. So he has has about 2 years now of semi regular involvement with the senior team.

I thought barlow was great and people should cut him slack because his got all the attributes to be a great player but instead people are cutting him down after roughly a year (not even) off senior games.

He just too often looks lost out on the ground, like he has no idea. If you compare that with the other youngsters like the schoolboy Hanners and also Meredith, Bird, Smith and Moore. If they hesitated and had the same lack of determination that Barlow shows I would be critical of them also. He's had enough game time now to be stepping up and making a mark on the game. Maybe its just when you see the attitude of Hanners and the others, it makes it hard for Barlow, because when you compare the difference, they have taken the opportunity and so far, he hasn't.

I don't believe there is any lack of determination as has been mentioned before you often see him trying to put pressure on the ball carrier.

imo it is not that he chooses to not go hard at the ball or opposition player it is that he doesn't know how to use his size and weight when going into those contests and this makes him hesitate as to what to do, like many things he does he looks awkward but with time hopefully he will figure it out as it isn't always something that you know how to do automatically.

Amazing how everyone views our players quite differently!

LRT has had his critics over the years!
Shaw had his critics at Collingwood!
Barlow has his critics!
Moore has his critics!
Jude Bolton had critics a few years ago!
Mattner has his critics!

Pyke is a raw recruit!

McVeigh had his critics but didn't play the other night!

Mmmm..........................can't help but think HOW ON EARTH did we nearly beat Geelong (outright 2nd) & St Kilda (outright 1st)!

Let the boys improve guys.........................just sit back & let them improve their role in the team!
They are young & can be developed. Have faith!!:)

He just too often looks lost out on the ground, like he has no idea. If you compare that with the other youngsters like the schoolboy Hanners and also Meredith, Bird, Smith and Moore. If they hesitated and had the same lack of determination that Barlow shows I would be critical of them also. He's had enough game time now to be stepping up and making a mark on the game. Maybe its just when you see the attitude of Hanners and the others, it makes it hard for Barlow, because when you compare the difference, they have taken the opportunity and so far, he hasn't.

I actually disagree with this, I'm not sure what roos uses him for, a tagging job maybe? but either way he has only played a handful of CONSECUTIVE games.. of course its hard to find form. remember Bird? He looked soooooooo lost. A year later and :thumbsu:. i think barlow debuted against brisbane and people were hailin him the next goodes. (too far) but he was really exciting, even if they've shown in at least ONE GAME that they kno what their doin they have the footy smarts. their really is no doubt about it that his got the footy brain. It doesnt matter if he looked lost and didn't kno where to put himself, that's an experience thing.

Yeah you can compare them with hanners and all them but you got to remember they got to string consecutive games barring injury (meredith :() from memory he had a good debut, then it was like a crap finals, then off-season.. then injury then bla bla bla..
ever since his returned he has done nothing but taken the right step forward.. and another thing.. look at the opposition.. geelong.
as for his determination i dont kno how hard he runs, but his second efforts are their, he tries to pressure his man and his a real confidence player... (as shown in the richmond game) if we dont let him get his confidence back.. his not goin to get to his full potential.. and as i said before his potential is really exciting if its anythin like the brisbane debut game.

I actually disagree with this, I'm not sure what roos uses him for, a tagging job maybe? but either way he has only played a handful of CONSECUTIVE games.. of course its hard to find form. remember Bird? He looked soooooooo lost. A year later and :thumbsu:. i think barlow debuted against brisbane and people were hailin him the next goodes. (too far) but he was really exciting, even if they've shown in at least ONE GAME that they kno what their doin they have the footy smarts. their really is no doubt about it that his got the footy brain. It doesnt matter if he looked lost and didn't kno where to put himself, that's an experience thing.

Yeah you can compare them with hanners and all them but you got to remember they got to string consecutive games barring injury (meredith :() from memory he had a good debut, then it was like a crap finals, then off-season.. then injury then bla bla bla..
ever since his returned he has done nothing but taken the right step forward.. and another thing.. look at the opposition.. geelong.
as for his determination i dont kno how hard he runs, but his second efforts are their, he tries to pressure his man and his a real confidence player... (as shown in the richmond game) if we dont let him get his confidence back.. his not goin to get to his full potential.. and as i said before his potential is really exciting if its anythin like the brisbane debut game.

Agree with you on Barlow, not on Bird. I don't think he's ever looked lost on a footy field. Same as Hannebery.

Never mentioned Hanners pb... as for bird... i guess i dont mean lost.. but his sure lacked composure in his first few games.. that i rememeber.

oh.

duh vonnnnnnnnn.

Evening all. If we are searching for which block of chesse Mr Barlow is cut from be it chedder or bocconcini we need to take away his indecisiveness. This is why I feel some people think of him being more of a Bocconcini than a good Chedder, due to his shall I stay, or shall I go now moments. Play him Teddy's loose man role, as he will know what is expected and let him find out for himself if it's in his game. Lurch was similar with his indecisiveness to begin with which made him look ponderous and as attractive as a dinner date with Joffa, sequin jacket and all. But I believe with Leaping coming down with a dose of Playfair syndrome of the legs and falling by the way, this season has been his coming of age. The extra responsibility being given to him being the making of the Hyphen or Two-dads as some prefer and him turning from an ugly duckling into the most beautifull of all Gods little Swans. The new White Goodes prophecy has not helped Mr Ed as it has had added an extra burden on him and probably caused a harder marking on his report card by the thousands of teachers throughout the football world. Big Boned, Big Boy, Big motor, Big Kick, yes. Big Softie ? I say no. Put him in the area where he can find out whether or not this is his game and let him sink or swim, let him become THE BIG CHESSE!!!:thumbsu:

here here...

i mean, i'm not knocking the man just to knock him...he just doesn't seem to have the heart or the smarts when all the other youngsters (who've had less game time) show more composure than him...i hope he improves cause i don't like seeing anyone fail...but i just feel like he's had enough game time to prove himself...and he's not showing enough imo...

i thought LRT was a hack a few years back...he was pretty poor tho...but geez...he's consistently stepped up his game...if barlow develops similar to LRT did then he'll be a good player...i just don't think it's likely...but then again i haven't witnessed the glimpses of brilliance you guys have...

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back