Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's really weird, my post wouldn't show for ages. :confused:

Vonn since you're 15, I'm going to say holding hands?

Holding hands is a biiiig step... For a fifteen year old. But say if your in year 12 and 17/18 years old you should have gone... Well homerun Stat.

That goal that resulted from NOG chjarging through about 5 cats to knock the ball forward showed why Roosy wants him in the team, I think. Christ, he's a tough bugger.

Awesome, vintage NOG. It reminded me of the time he walked through Glenn Archer like he was walking through the banner. He played a good game this weekend.

If only McVeigh had played too......still I was proud of the result given our injuries and young players. MOD continues to impress me and I soooooo... wish that Magic would go another year. His freakish one hand pick up and slipping around Gablett like he wasn't there, great stuff :thumbsu: He's gonna leave a huge hole in our forward line when he goes.

Just a point: Leo Barry overtook Paul Kelly for games played by playing this week, had been stuck level with him for most of the season. In a way I'd almost have liked them to have remained level...

Just got back to Melb and still a bit disapointed we didn't get the four points, but like the match against the saints (who I heard lost to the bombers, wtf), am proud of the boys effort and really took it up to one of the best. The atmosphere was really electric late in the final term, umps were VERY ordinary, Gazza I wan't to see win the Brownlow because he is a f**king great footballer, and for the AFL to get 40k+ in NSW was a positive sign, where Geelong really aren't a powerhouse like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, etc.

Also wtf is with the pre-match entertainment? Haha and it was great to be on the big screen at half time when they gave away those free pies :)

does anyone else think ed barlow's sh!thouse?

everyone's saying he's been steadily improving but I don't see it...apart from the fact that he was complete garbage before...and now he's just garbage...

every time the ball goes to him i cringe cause i know they're in unsafe hands...all the other youngsters have overcome that stage and are making good decisions most of the time but barlow doesn't do anything...his disposals never really amount to much...and there was this one passage of play where i think shaw got onto a loose ball and started running out of defence with a defender coming at him....barlow was about 5 meters in front but got caught not knowing where to go and he was running along with shaw in line of the defender when he should've gone wide and given shaw an option...he's not a smart player...and he uses the ball poorly...

i'm willing to make the call and say he's not gonna amount to much...

all of our other youngsters have shown glimpses of great play...and some have had solid games...but i haven't seen barlow do anything

everyone's saying he's been steadily improving but I don't see it...apart from the fact that he was complete garbage before...and now he's just garbage...

every time the ball goes to him i cringe cause i know they're in unsafe hands...all the other youngsters have overcome that stage and are making good decisions most of the time but barlow doesn't do anything...his disposals never really amount to much...and there was this one passage of play where i think shaw got onto a loose ball and started running out of defence with a defender coming at him....barlow was about 5 meters in front but got caught not knowing where to go and he was running along with shaw in line of the defender when he should've gone wide and given shaw an option...he's not a smart player...and he uses the ball poorly...

all of our other youngsters have shown glimpses of great play...and some have had solid games...but i haven't seen barlow do anything

I love his rocket passes, low and direct(hard to defend a pass like that) and usually he hits his targets, ive noticed he always seems to be involved in plays with Goodes, hes coming along fine imo..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on this. I'm usually loyal to our young ones but I really think Barlow was very poor against Geelong, and like you, I've never seen anything particularly impressive by him. If you look at Hanner's and how he goes about it, he has heart and ability. But Barlow has played more games and doesnt show near the desire or ability. I personally would let him go.

Would love to see MOL continue on, I certainly think he has another year in him. Aside from goals kicked by him, his goal assists are immeasurable. If plugger can make a comeback after 2 years out of the game, admittedly unsuccessfuly, surely Mickey O can have a change of mind and heart and play on. We need that extra pressure in the forward line, and it also keeps some pressure off White.

I'm with you on this. I'm usually loyal to our young ones but I really think Barlow was very poor against Geelong, and like you, I've never seen anything particularly impressive by him. If you look at Hanner's and how he goes about it, he has heart and ability. But Barlow has played more games and doesnt show near the desire or ability. I personally would let him go.

Would love to see MOL continue on, I certainly think he has another year in him. Aside from goals kicked by him, his goal assists are immeasurable. If plugger can make a comeback after 2 years out of the game, admittedly unsuccessfuly, surely Mickey O can have a change of mind and heart and play on. We need that extra pressure in the forward line, and it also keeps some pressure off White.

Are you still in china?

No, I don't think he's shithouse. I think he LOOKS shithouse. I think he lacks confidence when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. But for me, the days are well and truly gone when I'd feel uncertain when he had the ball in his hands. His kicking is sublime at times (when he kicks through the ball that is, something he didn't seem to have the confidence to do in general play early in his career), and he makes far better decisions now.

He still doesn't look like a footballer. That's something he has to work on, as the game is just as much psychological as it is physical. He also has to back himself more in his off the ball stuff. But he's coming along nicely. Could still go either way, but he's not going badly.

I hear around that Mooney may be in a bit of trouble for striking RoK, anyone catch the vision? Anything deemed reportable?

Yeh i saw it, was a little strange, not a true punch it kinda seemed like he was pushing away with a closed fist and it connected with his chin. The fact it was a closed fist and high contact might have him in trouble.

it was great to be on the big screen at half time when they gave away those free pies :)

Were you the poor girl that didn't get a single cheer from the crowd on behalf of her Bay?

Speaking of pies... It starts with a V, can't remember it though. Crap ad.

Crap pies as well. Bring back Four'N'Twenty.

I'm not sold on him. He shows glimpses of talent and has played a number of decent games this year, but he's as soft as anything and goes missing for large periods. I hope they persist with him because he has a touch of class about him and his disposal by foot is superb at times.

just watched the highlights on that crappy bigpond site. A couple of things I noticed:

1. the cats got 2 goals from very soft free kicks right in front. We got one, indirectly, when Scarlett held O'loughlin off the ball. A free kick the umpire could not ignore. We also had a goal taken off us when Jess White was deemed to put his hand in the back of an opponent. Technically there but very, very soft. I saw Mooney do it much more blatantly and get away it.

2. the much maligned Moore not only kicked an important goal after the 1st quarter siren, he had a big hand in 2 more with some excellent roving, running through tackles and intelligent distribution. He set up Hannebury and someone else. However, he did cost us the game with that awful kick across the face of goals that was picked off by Joel Corey. ROK should've done better - he kinda gave up in despair instead of laying a tackle - but Moore was under no pressure when he kicked it and it was a bad decision.

3. The other goal that never should've happened was from a kick in. The cats took it the length of the field with 0 resistance. Swans caught napping badly.

4. O'loughlin was awesome. Had a hand in almost half our goals I reckon. I cant believe I left him out of the votes. Fixed it now.

5. There was still 8 minutes on the clock when we kicked the last goal of the game. Thats a lot of clock to kill for the cats. i dont remember us getting many chances in that last 8 minutes.

I'm not sold on him. He shows glimpses of talent and has played a number of decent games this year, but he's as soft as anything and goes missing for large periods. I hope they persist with him because he has a touch of class about him and his disposal by foot is superb at times.

I really want Ed to succeed, but he has some major flaws to his game atm.

• For a tall guy, he is useless overhead.
  • Has a huge motor, but doesn't use it intelligently. Is often buzzing uselessly around the ball carrier instead of running hard to a dangerous spot.
  • Appears tentative in a contest and uncertain with ball in hand.
  • His tackles dont stick.
Has a lot of work to do to make our best 22 next year. Who was it who called him "Whitegoods"? Wishful thinking.

just watched the highlights on that crappy bigpond site. A couple of things I noticed:

1. the cats got 2 goals from very soft free kicks right in front. We got one, indirectly, when Scarlett held O'loughlin off the ball. A free kick the umpire could not ignore. We also had a goal taken off us when Jess White was deemed to put his hand in the back of an opponent. Technically there but very, very soft. I saw Mooney do it much more blatantly and get away it.

2. the much maligned Moore not only kicked an important goal after the 1st quarter siren, he had a big hand in 2 more with some excellent roving, running through tackles and intelligent distribution. He set up Hannebury and someone else. However, he did cost us the game with that awful kick across the face of goals that was picked off by Joel Corey. ROK should've done better - he kinda gave up in despair instead of laying a tackle - but Moore was under no pressure when he kicked it and it was a bad decision.

3. The other goal that never should've happened was from a kick in. The cats took it the length of the field with 0 resistance. Swans caught napping badly.

4. O'loughlin was awesome. Had a hand in almost half our goals I reckon. I cant believe I left him out of the votes. Fixed it now.

5. There was still 8 minutes on the clock when we kicked the last goal of the game. Thats a lot of clock to kill for the cats. i dont remember us getting many chances in that last 8 minutes.

1. agreed, very soft free kicks, especially LRT on Mooney. If that's what our game has come to, all defenders should just give up. I hate the interpretation of hands in the back that has come in the last few years. If it is inconsequential contact, why bother penalising it? Softest part of our game IMO.

2. Moore was good on saturday and i was really happy that for starters he played well and secondly he did so playing in the middle, where he belongs. True that was a bad pass to ROK but he was under pressure as LRT's kick after his hanger was called play on for being too short. Bad kick, messy play by us. Probably should have just gone deep down the line. Good ol' hindsight...

3. Yeh that was far too soft. We slowed them down pretty well most of the night, but that was poor. Gave our defence no shot at stopping a goal with LRT unlucky that it happened to be a beautiful kick from Mackie to Mooney over the back.

4. what you said, ripper game, better than what was his best game of the year in his 300th. against better opposition (teamwise and one on one in Scarlett) he really bamboozled Harley and Scarlett a few times. Best game of the year from Mick. 2 weeks in a row, great to see he is finishing his career in the great form/touch he has shown for years.

5. yeh they locked it down and kept us out of it very well didnt they. we didnt really look like cutting through them at all. if we did, i was confident that with a well functioning forward line on the night of Jesse, Mick and Goodesy we would have kicked the goal we needed. wasnt to be, due to Geelong shutting the game down brilliantly.

Still bursting with pride over how well we played. Our club is unlike most others and man, we are lucky to support such a passionate, tough, never-say-die club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back