Preview Round 21 2024 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sunday August 4, 1.10pm AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Hawks are going really well and have a settled line-up but they are undersized down back.While Keefe won't be expected to take many marks they would still have to pay some attention to him up forward .Who is hawks second ruck when Meek rests?..For these reasons Keefe makes sense to me although I would gave liked Gru to get another chance.
Chol tends to ruck CBAs, Nash does around the ground, and even Weddle can chop out.

Meek does a lot of it however.

Frost 195cm
Weddle 194cm
Scrimshaw 194cm
Sicily 191cm

Hogan, Cadman both 195cm with Keefe at 205cm, he isn’t the best player but as you say, will need to be looked after by a genuine key defender, a lot taller than I thought.

structurally the KPF role needs to compete in the air and bring the ball to ground. Goals matter but not being beaten in the air and providing a reference point for the smalls to get to work is the primary objective. At this stage Keefe does it better

Obviously Hawks are going really well and have a settled line-up but they are undersized down back.While Keefe won't be expected to take many marks they would still have to pay some attention to him up forward .Who is hawks second ruck when Meek rests?..For these reasons Keefe makes sense to me although I would gave liked Gru to get another chance.
Chol.

Funny how this time last year most posters were in the "never Keefe" club and now we almost unanimously agree he is needed this week!

For me the reflection is just how important Rics is for us. I didn't think so until now
Yeah, we did play Cadman in the ruck a few times and it's pretty pointless until he continues to develop his strength. Riccardi is a willing participant, we can't do that with Hogan, and I doubt Gruz will be particularly effective - this is why we were trying to get Elliott across last year.

Yeah, we did play Cadman in the ruck a few times and it's pretty pointless until he continues to develop his strength. Riccardi is a willing participant
He might be a willing participant but for mine he's not particularly good at it. There was a glaring example last week where he got shoved out of the way so easily which led directly to a Melbourne goal. We're lucky that Briggs plays big minutes so it doesn't hurt as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how this time last year most posters were in the "never Keefe" club and now we almost unanimously agree he is needed this week!
To be fair, last year I was on the "get Derksen in" bandwagon. That never occurred, and won't this year given he's been sent to the backs.

The choice is much less this year: Keeffe vs Gru vs Callum Brown, really.

EDIT: P.S. If Derksen had played the year forward, I'd be back on his bandwagon!

We're lucky that Briggs plays big minutes so it doesn't hurt as much.
It's not luck. The reason we play a non-ruck in Riccardi is in response to Briggs playing the big minutes. When teams play rucks that can't feature for extended periods is when you see the multiple rucks getting named.

Agree.

I overlooked his dual work in the ruck and then the realisation hit me sometime last night.
Except Riccardi isn't exactly good at that role. It's just we don't have a better option. I mean, we've been talking about the lesser Himmelberg for a year now as a potential upgrade in that department, and that's saying something!

Question is, how important does Kinsley think having a functional ruck is? Lose the tap out, but win the clearance seems to be what he WANTS to have happen.

Keefe isn't a pretty answer... but like Lobb, sometimes a physical beast is better than potential star.

The reason we play a non-ruck in Riccardi is in response to Briggs playing the big minutes.
The primary reason why we play Riccardi is because he’s considered the second-best KPF at the club.

Briggs has been a warrior since he debuted but it would have been nice to see what a Briggs/Preuss combo could produce if Braydon’s body hadn’t let him down so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back