Preview Round 21, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing Dangerfield will work in Adelaide's favour, just as it has for Hawthorn and Geelong in losing Buddy & Ablett.

Could say 'losing' the players you mentioned have been good for us too.

Swings and roundabouts... The only bad losses have been the GH 5 really.

You may be convinced that there is no better coach out there than Leppa for the job at hand that he has done but it doesn't explain why the senior players have all regressed under him (Voss had the same facilities and he got Hanley and Martin iirc to be at their peak), the players are all extremelly lazy providing no defensive pressure, the structure of our game plan seems to change every few weeks meaning our players have no idea what they are doing, he isn't fast doing tactical changes during game play and he doesn't put a player in our backline when it is so obvious that they are getting destroyed and need help. I don't believe he has got them doing the basics correctly (handballing, tackling, kicking etc).
You missed the point I was trying to make. Until Leppa is given the appropriate resources and tools to allow him to be the coach he should be, how do you condemn him because of his under performance? (Give him a brush so he can paint!!!) After he has finished painting, then judge him on his work but until then, its wrong & (IMO) immoral to sack him given the loyalty he has shown the club. Vossy didn't deserve it & neither does Leppa.

You missed the point I was trying to make. Until Leppa is given the appropriate resources and tools to allow him to be the coach he should be, how do you condemn him because of his under performance? (Give him a brush so he can paint!!!) After he has finished painting, then judge him on his work but until then, its wrong & (IMO) immoral to sack him given the loyalty he has shown the club. Vossy didn't deserve it & neither does Leppa.
But we are never going to have the best resources, we are always going to be slightly underresourced just because we are out of money. So it is up to the coach to work with what he has been given, l don't think it is right for a coach to be given a free ride until the approriate resources are to the club becuase that could be years away.

But we are never going to have the best resources, we are always going to be slightly underresourced just because we are out of money. So it is up to the coach to work with what he has been given, l don't think it is right for a coach to be given a free ride until the approriate resources are to the club becuase that could be years away.

And bottoming out like Leppa has done only adds to our financial troubles.

Is this my wife??? You do exactly what she does almost every day. Talk about putting words in my mouth that aren't even close to being accurate.
I wasn't asking for "the best" resources. Just ones that can make us competitive rather than having bare bones in coach assistants/facilities etc.
I never want or said for Leppa or ANY coach to have a free ride. Just want it to be a fair assessment relative to what he has to work with and what his competitors have as distinct advantages. As I have said many times..... IMO, there is no coach out there that could do a better job than Leppa with the tools of trade he has on hand at the moment. He deserves to be given the chance to be measured against an apples for apples scenario. Not rich against poor as it is now.

Is this my wife??? You do exactly what she does almost every day. Talk about putting words in my mouth that aren't even close to being accurate.
I wasn't asking for "the best" resources. Just ones that can make us competitive rather than having bare bones in coach assistants/facilities etc.
I never want or said for Leppa or ANY coach to have a free ride. Just want it to be a fair assessment relative to what he has to work with and what his competitors have as distinct advantages. As I have said many times..... IMO, there is no coach out there that could do a better job than Leppa with the tools of trade he has on hand at the moment. He deserves to be given the chance to be measured against an apples for apples scenario. Not rich against poor as it is now.
I wasn't saying "the best resources" as in the best in the land, l meant that we are never gonna have good resources when compared the better teams. Probably should have worded it better.

By the time we get a fair assessment, it could be years and we can't afford to have too many more years lie this imo. I know that it is your opinion and you are entitiled to it but the comment where you said that no coach could do a better job wiith the tools he has had etc etc, l think is a bit unguided (don't take it the wrong way), there are plenty of coaches out there better qualified and we don't know if they will be better or not in the top job because they haven't coached in Queensland yet. What l am trying to say is l disagree with your opinion, l think for the time that he has had with the group, the players have been way below par and should have progressed further even with all the injuries we had, and with a differnet coach, IMO, we would be a better team.

Swings and roundabouts... The only bad losses have been the GH 5 really.
I hate the term the GH 5 - it never was a case of GH 5.

Docherty was a family health situation wanting to be closer to his family, every club do those trades, some just do it harder than others.
Karnezis was on the trade table anyway. The bloke was lazy and wouldn't chase, people tacked him into it to make it look worse, if none of the others had gone he still would've, the fact Collingwood delisted him after two years says why Voss had already decided he wanted him out.
Longer was deprived of chances, he was third choice ruckman at the time and wanted to go somewhere to get game time, hence his move to St Kilda and that has worked out so well for him hasn't it. There is something about ruckman leaving Brisbane that has never really hurt us, honestly can think of one who has left who has had a decent career elsewhere.

Docherty was a family health situation wanting to be closer to his family, every club do those trades, some just do it harder than others.
Karnezis was on the trade table anyway. The bloke was lazy and wouldn't chase, people tacked him into it to make it look worse, if none of the others had gone he still would've, the fact Collingwood delisted him after two years says why Voss had already decided he wanted him out.
Longer was deprived of chances, he was third choice ruckman at the time and wanted to go somewhere to get game time, hence his move to St Kilda and that has worked out so well for him hasn't it. There is something about ruckman leaving Brisbane that has never really hurt us, honestly can think of one who has left who has had a decent career elsewhere.

They didn't go back to the home city where they were drafted from?

Well there were 5 of them and they all went home.

Doc, Yeo and Polec at their best would be great ... we have a fair gap in that age profile as a result.

You asserted that retention hasn't been any good under Leppa ... Every club loses players every year for some reason or another, but we're getting young guys to sign on in excellent numbers in recent years.

I think it's mutually exclusive from our terrible results, which is a great surprise and a big tick.

Doc left prior to any family health issues. His dad's issues came about after his trade. He wanted to go home.
Karnezis wanted to go home. We had a contract offer in front of him, which isn't what you do if you're putting a guy on the trade table. I'm curious where Voss has said he wanted Patrick out?
Yeo wanted to go home.
Polec wanted to go home.
Longer had a sook because he wasn't getting game time in his second year as a ruck. In theory he may have gone anywhere with a shit ruck contingent, but ultimately he went home.

So maybe you could debate Longer but I'll note that he didn't nominate Sydney who also had no real ruck at the time, instead opting first for Hawthorn and then St Kilda.

This is a classic purple monkey dishwasher situation.

Docherty's father passed away of a sudden heart issue while Docherty was in pre-season training with the blues. He hadn't had any signs of issue before that so Docherty definitely did not go home because of family related health issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a classic purple monkey dishwasher situation.

Docherty's father passed away of a sudden heart issue while Docherty was in pre-season training with the blues. He hadn't had any signs of issue before that so Docherty definitely did not go home because of family related health issues.

Also he nominated Carlton, not any Victorian club.

Just realised when all the other changes cancel out, we have basically brought in Martin for Green instead of dropping Smith.

Ok then - so what we certainly needed after the last two weeks was even less speed.

Just realised when all the other changes cancel out, we have basically brought in Martin for Green instead of dropping Smith.

Ok then - so what we certainly needed after the last two weeks was even less speed.
Id almost back martin to beat green in a running race.*

*unless it was to subway.

Happy for us to shelf Schache for the rest of the year tbh. Been a very impressive debut year but that workload will be taking the toll. Give him a week or two off then let him dominate in the reserves until his break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back